Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passed up an interesting rifle yesterday.

Passed up an interesting rifle yesterday.

While on other business at the trading post, I was offered a heck of a deal on a Remington 700 Varmint in 17 Fireball. It had only 100 rounds through it and came with Leupold bases and rings. Only $400 but I've owned/shot 17 Mach IV in the past and found it interesting, but nothing I couldn't live without. Besides, it was a Remington.......

What I did pick up was yet another Husqvarna Model 640 in 8x57. That makes three so far this year...but I did give one to my son. Nice rifles, cheap, are hard to pass up! ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post

What I did pick up was yet another Husqvarna Model 640 in 8x57. That makes three so far this year...but I did give one to my son. Nice rifles, cheap, are hard to pass up! ~Muir
    that's sick. Got any pics? It must be the SM one, but does it have a thumb cut or not? I'm guessing it doesn't, but I know some 640s did have the mil. action...

The existence of Husky rifles is bad for my health. I'm plotting and scheming on how i can get hold of one. Got any 1640 actioned ones?
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

not as such............................ mine is a nice 1935 vintage Model 46........... and it's unsual it seems as there are no minute cracks near the tang inletting of the stock. Ole Mr Larsson must have taken good care of it. it has his name scratched into the butt plate. Ingmar Larsson..

No thumb cut on any of them. I'll get a pic up after work. No 1640's but I do have a 146 in 9.3x57~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382 View Post
    that's sick. Got any pics? It must be the SM one, but does it have a thumb cut or not? I'm guessing it doesn't, but I know some 640s did have the mil. action...

The existence of Husky rifles is bad for my health. I'm plotting and scheming on how i can get hold of one. Got any 1640 actioned ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    not as such............................ mine is a nice 1935 vintage Model 46........... and it's unsual it seems as there are no minute cracks near the tang inletting of the stock. Ole Mr Larsson must have taken good care of it. it has his name scratched into the butt plate. Ingmar Larsson..
    I bet it's a beauty. I've got a real thing for swedes now... So am I right in thinking the 46 is made on a '96 military action? I hear they often inletted to tight around the tang, I guess this results in cracks?

So more Husky pics!!

I should would like to know more about the '96 commercial actions too. Is the breach like an FN, or military 98?
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	September Swede 8mm1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	2836

This is the latest 640 8x57. It has the solid receiver with no thumb cut. The cocking piece is devoid of the upright thumb piece but otherwise is a standard 1896. I finished repairing the chip from the stock tonight and am cleaning the copper fouling from the bore with Hoppes #9. The bore is crisp and beautiful. Can't wait to shoot it. The blotches on the barrel are cosmoline, not rust. Bad photo. I know that for you folk these rifles are plain and ugly, but for us here they are a bit of an exotic.~Muir

Addendum: Found out that this rifle, according the serial number ranges of production, was one of the last few hundred 640's built.
    Last edited by Muir; 01-10-2010 at 03:10.

Very nice. The stock's a bit BSA Super Sport like (have I got that model right BH). Bet it shoots nicely. Will he scope it? You seem to rate the 8x57, do you find it a good hunting cartridge? What pill weights do you use?

No. I won't scope these rifles as I have plenty of scoped rifles already to shoot. These will be left with the factory sights. These sights are only windage (drift) adjustable with no elevation adjustment so they were "regulated" for a specific round, I'm thinking. Since these guns were all made 1943-1945, and have high front sight, I guessed that they were probably regulated for the 196 grain hunting load of the time, VS the 154 grain military load, but I'm not certain about that. I have shot the first of these with a 206 grain bullet over 51.5 grains of IMR 4350 @ 2300 fps and it printed fine groups about 3" high at 100 yards. These were cast bullets. I have found a .325" x 175 grain flat point mold in my collection that will fit these rifles so I will be trying the lighter bullets, eventually.

The 8x57 is a great hunting round. Brithunter will be quick to tell you that it is every bit as good, or better, than the 30-06. I am a fan of the .32 calibers, from 32 Winchester on up, and plan on having my dark-bored Model 1895 Winchester lever action 30-06 re-rifled to 8mm-06... a cartridge Kev will certainly approve of!~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Brithunter will be quick to tell you that it is every bit as good, or better, than the 30-06
    That's interesting, could you expand? In what way? I've heard it handles the heavier (200+) pills better, but not that it is better in general. I like Mauser cart's, so am certainly not disagreeing, purely interested in the reasoning as it's the first time I've heard it said.

Also, thought levers (winnie '95 included) liked a rim? But it would be a nice setup I can imagine - you can load the '95 action quite hot can't you? What is the accepted pressure limit for it?

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382 View Post
    That's interesting, could you expand? In what way? I've heard it handles the heavier (200+) pills better, but not that it is better in general. I like Mauser cart's, so am certainly not disagreeing, purely interested in the reasoning as it's the first time I've heard it said.

Also, thought levers (winnie '95 included) liked a rim? But it would be a nice setup I can imagine - you can load the '95 action quite hot can't you? What is the accepted pressure limit for it?
    It's simples the 8mm Mauser seems to be more efficient than the 06. it uses a slightly larger bullet so for any given weight has more impact area. European ammo like the S&B 196 SPCE has a velocity of 2600fps if memory serves me correct. With modern smokeless powders the difference is not so great but the 30-06 was fairly lacking originally. 150 grain bullet at 2700 fps was lagging behind the 154 grain bullet at around 2900 of the 8mm Mauser. Of course the Germans and French were ahead in smokeless powder development the rest of the world was playing catch up.

Now the 8mm-06 with today's modern powders should be better still .

Oh the Winchester 95 I believe was factory chambered for the 30-06 during it's production run. if i am mistaken Muir can correct me I am sure. My knowledge of the lever guns is a bit sketchy .