Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17HMR cleaning regime

17HMR cleaning regime

I clean my !7 HMR about every 100 rounds or so, the clean is pretty rudimentary and there has never been a drop in accuracy. Has anyone found any problem with copper fouling, I normaly just rod through the barrel but don't use any solvents. Do you think it necessary to go through a full cleaning regime with this calibre?
    I must have put 5000 or so rounds through it and it just seems to get better (it an Anschutz 1717) so I am probably answering my own question!

I generally pull the bore snake through after each outing. Never used solvents, never lost accuracy.

If yours ain't broke, don't mend it!............ mine is very fussy, accuracy will degrade around 200 round mark., if you have a strippable mod , I would clean it out, you will be surprised how much cr*p is in there.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    If yours ain't broke, don't mend it!............ mine is very fussy, accuracy will degrade around 200 round mark., if you have a strippable mod , I would clean it out, you will be surprised how much cr*p is in there.
    Agree with FB. I strip my mod every 200 - 300 rounds, get a lot buidling up in there.

The thing that surprises me is not only how much crud builds up in a 17 moderator but how wet it can be sometimes, particularly after a lot of shots on a cold night.
    No wonder some of the non stainless non strippable mods rot out, that wet gunge must be lethal to non stainless steel.

L'iL Gun, the powder in all HMR cases, is fairly dirty burning, even worse in the shortened barrrels, the stuff left behind is reminiscent of very coarse grade grinding paste........ & it stinks too!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

A tip I was given that I have not yet needed to use is to soak one of those .177 airrifle cleaning pellets in solvent and push it through the bore with a jag. The chap who told me this uses the technique every 200 rounds or so at most, and reckons it's all you need if you keep the mod in good order.

I find the dedicated .17HMR cotton patches the dog's danglers, as one on a spear jag is perfect for the job, put three over the same jag, perfect for my.223/224, stick four on the same jag & .270 & 7mm .284 cleaned nice & snug.
    Last edited by finnbear270; 30-09-2010 at 16:09.

To be honest i haven't bothered cleaning the bore of my anshutz 1517 for some time now and haven't noticed any degradation in accuray i'm starting to get the feeling that its almost self cleaning,my mod i do clean every 50 rnds or so, strip chuck in sink and scrub they definatley collect crud for a past time,the bore always looks pretty clean and even when i did clean it never noticed any signs copper fouling,the other place i always clean is the crown as it seems to get a build up of crud there.
    Neil.

i never used to clean my .17 but it soon started to loose acuracy so i started to run the bore snake through it which made it better but not as good as when i 1st had it so i think i have to go down the solvents route now, if i could go back i would certainly of cleaned it more often and i would advise others to do so