Re barreling a parker hale

How about 257 Roberts?

Soft shooting, won't be too hard on the shoulder, all deer legal in all UK areas... I really like mine...

How about 257 Roberts?

Soft shooting, won't be too hard on the shoulder, all deer legal in all UK areas... I really like mine...

Great cartridge and a good candidate for a rebarrel . That being said , reduced velocity ammo , factory or reloads , would work perfectly . As others have pointed out though , the 270 isn't viewed as a particularly heavy recoiler around here and is popular as a first big game rifle , again , fit is everything . As anyone who's read my posts knows , I like PH's , decent and , more importantly , durable rifles YMMV .

AB

I had a parker hale midland a long time ago and really liked it. Nearly bought another in .22-250 a few months ago. As rifles go i have a lot of time for them. Whats this "fashion" nonsense ? You buy a rifle to hunt in isolated places, usually alone, you are not going on a fashion parade.

If a 243 is the choice of a re-barrel, look for one with a fast twist (1 in 7 or 8) then you can shoot anything from 50 to 115 grain 6mm bullets making it a very flexible rifle - ideal for smaller people shooting all small deer (& fox) up to mid size reds.

Ian

scoby

Those in the know will have a Parker Hale tucked away in the cabinet somewhere!!!

One example for you was recently on gun trader built for culling and highseat work

its was 25-06 ,krieger barrel , Parker Hale action and custom bedded into a GRS stock all done by HPS Target rifles they were asking £1600 and its Gone !!!!:D:D:D

Last edited:
I've got a 270.
Last week I used an estate 270 with 110gn bullets. I only found out after a test shot it was a 270, with those rounds and a mod it was super light recoiling. The 88kg (larder weight) red stag didn't seem to like it much.

It may be worth keeping it and using lighter bullets.

I've got a 270.
I only found out after a test shot it was a 270, it was super light recoiling. .

Eddie you must be the perfect bloke to have a shot out of my 505 Gibbs bolt rifle.

I see it now "here Ed have a shot out of my old bolt rifle" :D

Eddie you must be the perfect bloke to have a shot out of my 505 Gibbs bolt rifle.

I see it now "here Ed have a shot out of my old bolt rifle" :D

I wasn't boasting, just amazed how light the recoil was compated to my 270.
A decent mod and light bullets make them quite pleasant.

I genuinely don’t think anyone has ever shot out a Gibbs, or anything above a 404J

Definitely . I always get a chuckle when I see large bore rifles for sale here . Usually the ads run the same " Great shape , low round count and will include a partial box of ammo " lol . Everyone likes the idea of a 40 cal and up rifle ......... until they shoot them . As the saying goes " Many are called , few are chosen ".
I've seen exactly one big bore that was used up , an older Ruger M 77 ( tang safety ) Tropical in 458 WM . It belonged to a friend of mines father who guided in BC and Alberta for Coastal Browns and Interior Grizzly for many years . The only reason it was wore out was because he only carried one rifle due to weight and space restrictions ( light aircraft ) . Being the practical man that he was , he shot everything with it , including Grouse and Rabbits with reduced velocity hard cast lead bullets . He shot that rifle on a continuous basis and was one of the best game shots I've ever known . Guys like George are a rapidly vanishing breed , he's been gone for about 10 years now ............ My apologies , old guy ramble .

AB

Definitely . I always get a chuckle when I see large bore rifles for sale here . Usually the ads run the same " Great shape , low round count and will include a partial box of ammo " lol . Everyone likes the idea of a 40 cal and up rifle ......... until they shoot them . As the saying goes " Many are called , few are chosen ".
I've seen exactly one big bore that was used up , an older Ruger M 77 ( tang safety ) Tropical in 458 WM . It belonged to a friend of mines father who guided in BC and Alberta for Coastal Browns and Interior Grizzly for many years . The only reason it was wore out was because he only carried one rifle due to weight and space restrictions ( light aircraft ) . Being the practical man that he was , he shot everything with it , including Grouse and Rabbits with reduced velocity hard cast lead bullets . He shot that rifle on a continuous basis and was one of the best game shots I've ever known . Guys like George are a rapidly vanishing breed , he's been gone for about 10 years now ............ My apologies , old guy ramble .

AB

Interesting story AB!

Yes the big bore stuff isn't always a joy too shoot (though I think ANYTHING is more pleasant than the 460 Weatherby I once had the miss fortune to shoot). Even a 9.3x62 isn't fun for more than a few off a bench.

Scrummy

The Weatherby family of big bores are particularly obnoxious . First off , they don't fit me , secondly , Weatherby always has to push their rounds a few feet per second higher than everyone else . As bad as I found the 460 though , I thought the 378 WM was even worse . The recoil impulse seems to come back a lot faster , it might be just me though . I'll stick to the H&H version , nothing has walked away unscathed so far .

AB

The Weatherby family of big bores are particularly obnoxious . First off , they don't fit me , secondly , Weatherby always has to push their rounds a few feet per second higher than everyone else . As bad as I found the 460 though , I thought the 378 WM was even worse . The recoil impulse seems to come back a lot faster , it might be just me though . I'll stick to the H&H version , nothing has walked away unscathed so far .

AB

I always wondered about the weatherby's, never seen the point of them myself, overpowered to the point they are seriously unpleasant to shoot.

Back