DSC1 manual arrived today [GULP!] practical question

I shot like a blind muppet... but still passed first time.
Find out if home loads are allowed. That's the only thing you need to worry about.
Any competant shot should pass with put much trouble.

When I did my dsc1 I opted to use the estate rifle it was zeroed to a 100yds and I was allowed plenty of shots to familiarise myself with it. The bonus is then that your using the instructors set up with his ammo which then takes the ownest off you to find correct ammo etc... Also if it’s not correctly zeroed it’s his fault and not yours ha!

dont mean to put you off using your set up though.

Good luck with it

Cheers James - Hmmmm, nice angle using the estate/instructors rifle! but for me I want to have completed it with my own rifle, something inside me that I want to look at the rifle (in the future) knowing we performed on the day together. Fingers crossed!

I did mine last week, no home loads, rifle must meet legal requirements for deer, where you are shooting.

It's all in the book, you get 3 on the 4" zeroing target from prone at 100. then 2 from prone at deer target at 100, then 2 from kneeling/sitting at 70 at deer target and then 2 from standing at 40 at deer target. Put any of the shots outside the area and you start over again, but you complete the whole set of 9 shots before you find if you've missed any. You get 3 attempt at this, there wasn't a time limit, but if you're there for hours, they might get grumpy.

It's not difficult, I'd not shot centrefire in 10 years, i borrowed the estate rifle, did it first time.

I would guess you have a 10 twist 243. The only 100 grain bullet that will stabilise in my 6mm 10 twist is the 100 grain Sierra ProHunter. Try that. Should work well.

I would guess you have a 10 twist 243. The only 100 grain bullet that will stabilise in my 6mm 10 twist is the 100 grain Sierra ProHunter. Try that. Should work well.

Hi Nigel - I wish we had spoken earlier! you are correct it's a 1:10 and I have been on a real journey to some dark corners of the reloading envelope trying my hardest to find a 100g /powder combo that would stabilise. Found it last week - Pro hunter + IMR4350.

Hi Nigel - I wish we had spoken earlier! you are correct it's a 1:10 and I have been on a real journey to some dark corners of the reloading envelope trying my hardest to find a 100g /powder combo that would stabilise. Found it last week - Pro hunter + IMR4350.

We all go on that journey from time to time. You have come out the other side with a lot more experience than you went in with!

The best and most accurate online tool that I refer to when looking at bullet suitability is the JBM calculators. It's a great website that gives things like bullet length on Hornaday bullets which seems to be the best kept secret in the world. The stability calculator allows for plastic tipped bullets which no other that I have found do, It's a great resource. My rule of thumb is that providing a bullet achieves 1.4 on their stability calculator it will work, 1.6 to 1.7 is optimal to achieve best BC and more than about 2.1 and you need to think about going longer.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

We all go on that journey from time to time. You have come out the other side with a lot more experience than you went in with!

The best and most accurate online tool that I refer to when looking at bullet suitability is the JBM calculators. It's a great website that gives things like bullet length on Hornaday bullets which seems to be the best kept secret in the world. The stability calculator allows for plastic tipped bullets which no other that I have found do, It's a great resource. My rule of thumb is that providing a bullet achieves 1.4 on their stability calculator it will work, 1.6 to 1.7 is optimal to achieve best BC and more than about 2.1 and you need to think about going longer.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

Thank you great web site. This will help no end in the future and save me £££ working up theoretically pointless loads.
Thanks again and I appreciate the time taken to respond/assist me.

Would be content to share factory ammo recommendations for 100g 1:10?

Last edited:
I understand its the rules no home loads, but two questions why and who was asked before the shooting?
Shakey

I did mine with the forestry commission and was told it was because as far as they are concerned a home load is an unknown quantity, they don't know anything about the person who made them or the quality of the ammunition. They have a duty of care to protect everyone on the range so can't take risks

As usual, loads of incorrect advice re DSC1. Please guys, just contact your training provider directly for answers. Some providers allow the use of hand loaded ammo, some don't and for some it depends on the range in use on that particular course. If in any doubt just ask and get an answer from the horses mouth then you won't have any surprises on the day.

they don't know anything about the person who made them or the quality of the ammunition. They have a duty of care to protect everyone on the range so can't take risks

Seems to me that it's more of an arse-covering exercise than anything else. Nobody is going to be lying beside the shooter during the test are they? And if anyone turns up and blows their rifle up because their ammo is shoite it's a fair indicator that they shouldn't really be receiving a certificate in the first place. More nanny state BS. It is what it is though, so if the course provider states no home-loads that's it.

The reason for question 2 is I have not found a suitable 100gr bullet (factory ammo) as yet that groups well through 22" barrel at 100yrds.

(I'm assuming you mean .240.....)

If you're taking the test in Essex, then it doesn't need to be a 100 grain bullet. I have a 1:9.25" twist Remington .243 and found that 80gr Federal Power-shoks jacketed softpoints group nice and tight at 100yds. They are deer legal in England, with a stated muzzle energy of 1970 foot pounds. They are also reasonably priced.

My advice is if is factory loads make sure you secure sufficient for the test , we had wholesale issue up here in Scotland early this year i had a really good zero on a Remington power shock 6.5 55 then the day before my test I had to drive 50 miles to restock due my poor 60 round allowance ,right nightmare .

First and foremost congrats to all admin and members for making this a superb forum, well managed, and full of great advise and debate from supportive experienced members.

Just booked up for the BDS DSC1 in December at Essex Shooting School.:scared:

I acquired a 243 this month and starting to develop home loads and finding factory ammo that it prefers but to avoid some initial traps could use the guidance on the direction of my testing and practice (prone/kneeling/standing).

When using your own rifle for the practical:
1. SP ammo: Do you have to use factory ammo? Or are home loads accepted?
2. Does the ammo need to conform with law on For England/Wales or Scottish guidance - 1700 vs 1750ft/lbs + 100gr. I assume if course is taken in England it will follow English law?
3. Is there a restriction on the ammo to ensure its Deer legal for specific (largest) species?
4. How long is permitted for the practical test ? Is there time to a) take a barrel fouling shot/check zero?
5. Anyone else on here attending The course?

The reason for question 2 is I have not found a suitable 100gr bullet (factory ammo) as yet that groups well through 22" barrel at 100yrds.

I have avoided references to ballistic tips for obvious reasons but would interested if these are frowned upon during the practical. :coat:

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and guidance?

I did mine in September. So here's my learning.
1. You "should" use factory ammo. It's specified in the test. From what the tutor said. They had had some dodgy homeloads over the years. They don't check your rounds before you start if you know what I'm saying.
2. Where I was didn't check bullet weight or speed. No calculation there. You're ok.
3. It has to be a deer legal caliber. So muntjac or red. You choose. A guy shot ours with a .223.
4. A guy was struggling on ours. He got to have a break then carry on. He was just getting worse. The zero target is the smallest. We did get every evening test/ practice. I shot one. Then said can I shoot the test. Job done. I'm not sure you want to be cleaning between parts. Just get it shot. The deer target is really big. If you miss it, you really shouldn't be shooting any animal.

There was a guy using a 270 with ballistic tips.
You will learn what's legal to shoot in course. The test is to make sure you can answer this. The practical is to make sure you are humane and safe (on that day). Enjoy it. It's a good thing to do.
Get the dsctraining.org subscription. I actually felt I could have sat the test after one day in the training rooms.

Good luck!!

Get the dsctraining.org subscription. I actually felt I could have sat the test after one day in the training rooms

+1. I've just taken out a subscription, and it's fantastic. I sit my DSC1 next month, and this will really help

Back