Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A max and sst

A max and sst

I know this topic has been covered alot in the past, but, why would you use the a-max over the sst.

Is it that the a-max is supposedly more accurate due to it being a match bullet or is just that you can buy the a-max and have it posted to you.

I dont really want to get into what you should or should not use, i really just want to know why those that use them do so.

steve

Hornady say A-max are not suitable for deer, they are a match bullet which according to Hornady is also an excellent "varmint & small game" bullet. Its popularity comes from the fact that as a match bullet, not an "expanding missile" it is possible to order them by post/mail order with no limit on how many you can hold. In my opinion, it is without peer as a foxing round.

The SST is designated as a premium "hunting" bullet, having an interlocked core and a thick jacket to hold the bullet together to "ensure deep penetration".

As I can't be bothered with faffing about with different ammo, I use 129gn SST's for everything now. If I get a centre mass hit on a fox, it is just as dead as if I hit it with an A-max. I do know people that use the A-max when foxing because they want to minimise the chance of a riccochet.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by musty View Post
    I know this topic has been covered alot in the past, but, why would you use the a-max over the sst.

Is it that the a-max is supposedly more accurate due to it being a match bullet or is just that you can buy the a-max and have it posted to you.

I dont really want to get into what you should or should not use, i really just want to know why those that use them do so.

steve
    I'd say that the A-Max not being section 5 will have quite a bit to do with the popularity of this bullet for deer stalking. I bought some myself, but didn't use them.
    To me they appear to be pretty similar to nosler ballistic tips, but looking at the info they offer "rapid explosive expansion, with limited penetraition", so it does sound like the theorys have been right, that they are V-Max in a different box. I wouldn't for one minute criticse stalkers who use them, as it's important to use what works for you.

For my purposes, the SST fits the bill better, mostly because I believe the cannelure & internal interlock rings benefits the bullet by limiting expansion from becoming too drastic.

I'm sure there's little difference in accuracy.

I have to mention here that Hornady have in the past listed Amax as suitable for thin skinned game, & many in the states use them for whitetail etc,..... a few guys on here have sectionally cut these bullets & found them to be exactly the same as another "hunting" bullet. Personally I would comment that they are certainly not "explosive" & penetrate well. I use 52 grain Amax on fox & since changing from V max (won't have them in my stores anymore), have not had any trouble picking them up.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

It's only in the UK that A-max's don't work.

You could use the best premium game bullet and have horribly bad results
    if the impact speed or game it is used on does not match.
    A-max works well on game...sometimes.
    A slowish 308 with 168 a-max works well on medium sized deer.
    I wouldn't use a 155 a-max in a 300 win mag, might be too explosive because
    of the high speed, this could happen with some soft points also.
    Yet at very long distance the 155 out of a win mag might be ok again.
    The trick is to match the bullet to the game and the impact speed.

Many people find the a-max more accurate than SST's, that's why they use them.
    ....and they learn on forums that it's all about shot placement .

edi

Hi chaps, I use both A and V-max and the only difference between them to be seen is the polly tip in the v-max, it's much longer with an air pocket at the base of the tip which gives it that explosive expansion, I use them in 223, 40gr (factory rounds),right nip along little beasts, but with the prices of factory rounds going up from 17.40 to 20+ in a matter of months I've started reloading and been having some pleasing results, especially with the 50gr v-max and 52 gr a-max, at 150 yds there's something like .1" difference POI so ther's no need for hold over or altering scope turrets, the 52gr is 020" longer than the 50gr and is as I've found classed as a VLD, also that it's best accuracy is when touching the lands, out of the 2 I prefer the A-max, but having said that will be experimenting with 60gr v-max, my tikka has a 1 in 12 twist and 60gr, if stabilizes and gives good accuracy will probably be my prefered round for foxing as I prefer ft lb's to fps, having said that the 52gr A-max is a cracking round, and, easy to load because of the boat tail.....callie

thanks for the reply's, but no one has really answered my question. Are they more accurate?

Or shall i put it this way, are match bullets made to tighter tolerances thus making them more accurate?

thanks steve

Quote Originally Posted by musty View Post
    thanks for the reply's, but no one has really answered my question. Are they more accurate?

Or shall i put it this way, are match bullets made to tighter tolerances thus making them more accurate?

thanks steve
    depends some rifles like them some dont. they do have a great bc compared to other bullets

musty

I have a 260 Rem as per my gallery re-barrelled by Russell Gall. I have used Hornady 140 Amax, 129 SST and 129 SP in this rifle and all shoot very accurately. Recently I fired a fouler with 129 SST and then fired another shot and made the first hole a fraction larger at 100yds. I think given time and lots of powder I could get them all to shoot equally well out of this rifle. In terms of usage, I have shot 4 sika stags and 1 red stag in Sept with the 129 gr SP and will continue with the 129gr SP flat base indefinitely. I use the 140 Amax and 142 SMK for practice with this rifle. I have on order some 123 gr AMax for the 260 and I hope to work up a load for these in 2011.

I previously had a Mannlicher Pro-Hunter (260 Rem) and it shot the 140 gr Amax and 129 gr SP very well, but despite shooting a buck at close range with the 129 SSTs, I never felt happy with that rifle and the SSTs. I probably went through 3 boxes chasing the loads around with different powders. Eventually I just used them up for practice.

Rgds JCS

Which companies will post out A-Max bullets then? Might give them a try. JC