Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I apply for a .223 or a 243 under this circumstances.

Can I apply for a .223 or a 243 under this circumstances.

I will like to apply for a .223 or a .243 for deer stalking but as my land is not to big my FEO has told me I can only have .17hmr but he told me if I can find a bigger land to shoot on he will give me one no problem.I was reading on the BASC website and came across to this (]If you cannot name a piece of land but wish to shoot with a friend or as a paying stalker etc., it should not be a problem, although some police firearms licensing departments will try to turn it into one. It is best to contact BASC under those circumstances) I have two friend that I go shooting with and one of them has a permission to shoot on 400 acres and the other one just over 400 acres. Can I apply for a 223 or 243 under this circumstances and say that I will go shooting on their land with them or I will need permission from the land owner as well. Just want to know if anyone has tried this and got approved. ( Bare in mind I live in LINCOLNSHIRE and I have been told that they don't give FAC very easy). Any comments very much appreciated.

Did you tell the feo that you go out with your friends on over 400 acres?

The feo is due to come and see me soon and will tell him than.Just wanted to know where I stand ect.

Quote Originally Posted by kkal5000 View Post
    The feo is due to come and see me soon and will tell him than.Just wanted to know where I stand ect.
    I would see what the feo says first. Having read lots of threads on this site, there are too many inconsistencies with how variations are dealt with. I wish you good luck. If you do come unstuck, there are plenty of knowledgable guys on this site who will advise you. Regards, Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I would see what the feo says first. Having read lots of threads on this site, there are too many inconsistencies with how variations are dealt with. I wish you good luck. If you do come unstuck, there are plenty of knowledgable guys on this site who will advise you. Regards, Ed.

Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by kkal5000 View Post
    I will like to apply for a .223 or a .243 for deer stalking but as my land is not to big my FEO has told me I can only have .17hmr but he told me if I can find a bigger land to shoot on he will give me one no problem.
    I don't think you'll find anywhere in the HO Guidance to police that there is a minimum acreage requirement that has to be met before a FAC is granted. How big is the area you have and are the species you are intending to shoot present on that land?

It's all down to you having good reason to possess that particular firearm, and part of that is to demonstrate that you can shoot safely on the land that you nominate - it should only therefore form part of the police's assessment procedure to help them make the decision that you have 'good reason'.

It might help you if you read through Chapter 13 of the HO Guidance but here is what it says specifically about initial land inspections:

13.11 It is accepted that land is not
    intrinsically “safe” or “unsafe” and that any
    shooter will have to exercise a strong measure
    of discretion in deciding whether to shoot in
    particular circumstances. However, the police
    will wish to be satisfied as part of “good
    reason” that the land nominated is not clearly
    unsuitable for the types of firearms to be
    used. The land inspection is intended only as
    part of the process of verifying that a “good
    reason” exists. It should not normally be
    extended to other areas of land on which the
    applicant intends to shoot unless there is to
    be a condition restricting a new shooter to
    specified land only. An inspection, where it is
    required, may provide a good opportunity to
    confirm that the applicant understands the
    characteristics of the land and the best places
    to shoot safely on it. The applicant’s
    knowledge of safe shooting is also very
    important and they should therefore, where
    possible, be present when the inspection takes
    place. This will give applicants the opportunity
    to confirm that they are aware of any
    potential hazards and know that no shot must
    ever be fired from a rifle unless there is a safe
    backstop. Some of the issues that the police
    will need to consider in relation to all the
    circumstances of the specific application are:
    a) Presence of rights of way, public roads and
    footpaths and their frequency of use;
    b) Proximity of dwellings;
    c) Suitable backstops relevant to the firearm
    to be used (not so important with a shot
    gun unless using section 1 ammunition);
    d) General topography of the land; and
    e) Presence of any quarry species on the land
    (see paragraph 13.13 for guidance).

I know exactly what you are trying to say mate but my permission is only 10 acres.It is a small farm and they breed chickens,ducks, turkeys ect ect and foxes are a big problem there.I was granted a .22LR for foxes but as a longer range was needed now I have been granted .17hmr. I was reading on the BASC website and came across this (If you cannot name a piece of land but wish to shoot with a friend or as a paying stalker etc., it should not be a problem, although some police firearms licensing departments will try to turn it into one. It is best to contact BASC under those circumstances) I have two mates who have permission on shooting on over 400 acres each and they both only use shotguns and I was thinking on asking my feo I will use the 223 243 on their land for deer and according to what I read on the BASC site it looks like I can. I just wanted to know if anyone has got a 223/243 this way.I have a permission from my friend to go there when he is there but he does not own the land the farmer does. So I may need to have a word with the farmer and take it from there. I have seen deer there every time we have gone shooting and olso my feo knows I have experience with a big calibre rifle and the last time I saw him he told me if I can get a bigger land minimum he said 50 acres he will grand me 223 or 243.
    Last edited by kkal5000; 02-10-2010 at 20:53.

Okay, that makes it a bit clearer!

As you've not got the quarry species on the ground then access to your friend's land should provide you with the good reason, (provided his arrangement with his landowner permits it).

Exactly as the BASC reference has said but you might need a letter from him to that effect. The HO Guidance is quite clear that you can provide land that is neither yours nor to which you might have regular access to support your good reason:

13.10 The named land need not be owned or
    rented by the applicant, nor need they have
    regular or automatic access to it. Farmers and
    landowners may allow shooters to shoot on
    their land, for payment or otherwise, on a
    formal or informal basis. An applicant need
    not always nominate a piece of land as
    evidence of “good reason”, but in such cases
    the applicant may be required, where possible,
    to provide written evidence, for example from
    a relevant organisation, a professional pest
    controller or of a booking to shoot.

Best of luck with the application.

Thank you for all the info Orion.Very much appreciated.

sounds like their knowledge base is defective to start with anyway!...... 22LR granted for fox?????
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!