Only a week to go

Blaser3006

It is with great sadness that I must inform you that I'm leaving.

No not really :D just off to south africa for ten days next friday.

To say I can't wait is an understatement. It's going to be a great trip. The ammo is loaded. Just got to go and check Zero and performance one more time, tonight maybe?

I've chosen the 30-06 stoked up with 220 grain sierra bullets, a killer combination (excuse the pun)

Not sure what's on the list this year, tend to just make it up as we go along, Wildebeest for sure, Maybe eland, Kudu, impala and warthog to name a few.

Non trophy hunt but I'm sure there will be pictures a plenty.

ONLY SEVEN DAYS TO GO

Good luck Jerry, it sounds like you are going to have a bloody good time mate.
Don't forget your camera and your note pad. We are all looking forward to reading your article. ;)

Sp4rkman

going somewhere near Ellis Ras, species will include whatever I'm able to stalk, without scaring it away. Friend in south africa says that after the summer rains the bush is very thick at the moment, so very challenging stalking.
The hunting in truth comes secondary to the experience; waking before first light to be seranaded by the doves all around as the rest of the bush wakes up.
At night the complete lack of light pollution as you sit warming yourself around the remains of the braai, telling stories and talking rubbish as you have one more beer before turning in! Not to forget listening to the sounds of the bush at night as you rest your aching body from a hard days hunting.
Oh yes I'm already there my soul less body sits here at work!

Mr B you can bet your arse I'm going to have a bloody good time. Pictures a plenty and maybe some waffling drivel to go with them.

Blaser,

I'm originally from SA and so know exactly the sights/sounds and experiences you're refering to! Just got back from a trip myself and spent 4 days hunting bushbuck without even firing a shot. As you say though, the killing part is secondary to the whole experience.

Looking forward to seeing the photos and hearing about your experience!

sp4rkman

Lucky sod Gerry.Hope all goes well and you bring back lots of photos.

Have a good time, I am counting down now to my overseas hunting trip.

Best rgds

Tahr

Gerry, have a great time, goes without saying you will anyway. We all look forward to hearing about your adventures on your return.

Good luck, good hunting.

There's a certain type of anticipation that goes with a hunting trip abroad and it's gettng worse everyday, so much expectation,

Only 6 days to go

Make sure you pack some warm clothes and a pair of gloves. It's winter here now and nights and early mornings are pretty damn cold. - Ellisras (one word) can be pretty damn cold. - A tip for this time of year is to learn to ride in the hunting truck with your rifle barrel pointing up in front of you. The golden orb spiders spin single lines of strong web across the roads at night and it's 'orrible when you get them in the face. - The rifle barrel will break them before your face does.

Cheers Shakari

yes I will be packing warm clothing as I learned a very cold lesson during the nights on last years trip, had to lend my shooting buddy a jumper to stop him from freezing to death.

We drove through Ellisras on the way home last year so looking forward to going there to hunt.

Where abouts are you from shakari?

Only 5 days left now!!!!!

Not even slightly counting, honest!

Have a great time.

Good luck mate, have a great time.

have you chronod the loads and what powder are you using?

220 gr from .30-06 is a big load!

steve

Have a good trip and boy do I wish it was me going good hunting and safe trip Blaser.

Smithy

Blaser3006

I'm originally from Chislehurst in Kent, then moved to Surrey in my early 20s, then to Buckinghamshire and onto Berkshire in later years. Moved to Africa to live in 2000 - but I've been running a business here since about 1990 and commuting............ got fed up with that eventually so moved to Africa on a permanent basis.

Who's doing your taxidermy?

No taxidermy Shakari,

non trophy hunt only. You don't hang around on AR do you?

220 gn loads chronoed at 2222FPS using 43 grains of varget. Shot today out to 300metre with Leupold VXL varmint scope, they're damn good, achieving 2" groups bang on the nail at 300 metre. Won't take shots at that range but great to know the rifle can do it! Also been practising off hand at 100m.

All set just got to pack

Only 4 days to go 3 of which I will be working :confused:

Blaser

Yes I do, but haven't had much time lately as I'm sooooo busy on other projects. - I'll be glad to get to the bush to get away from computers and phones etc...........

Thanks to every one for all the good luck replies.

I'm now becoming worse than a 4 yr old on christmas eve,

3 days to go

Back