Sporting Rifle Shoot – Sunday 8th September 2019

Klenchblaize

The British Sporting Rifle Club will be holding a sporting rifle shoot at 200 yards on Short Siberia (Bisley) on Sunday 23rd September 2018. The shoot will involve a defined course of fire on both a Chamois and Fox target and includes a ‘challenge’ event for aggregate scores from club teams of 4 shooters.

f7R8kzU.png

The Chamois
mstream.jpg

Shooters will be required to fire a total of 10 rounds in two series of 5 shots, no sighters permitted, at a DJV Chamois target. The first series of 5 shots will be from the prone position with the only rest permitted being a small backpack or similar bag under the fore end of the rifle – front bags, bipods or other front rests will not be permitted. The second series of 5 shots will be taken from a sitting position where the shooter may use a single stick - of the type that might be used to steady yourself when walking around the side of a mountain looking for Chamois to shoot! There is no time limit for completing either 5 shot series but shooters will be expected to take a shot on a single breath once the rifle is in the aim. This competition is shot under BSRC ‘Class B’ regulations relating to rifle and ammunition, as set out below, which will be applied without exception. Those wishing to shoot for ‘score only’ will be permitted to use any rifle/ammunition combination meeting NRA Range Regulations.

The Fox
mstream.jpg

Shooters will be required to fire a total of 10 rounds in two series of 5 shots, no sighters permitted, at a DJV Fox target. The first series of 5 shots will be from the sitting position using double sticks for support, the second series of 5 shots will be taken from a standing positon using double sticks. Only double sticks with two points of contact with the ground and a single point of contact with the rifle will be permitted.

A time limit of 90 seconds will be applied to each series of 5 shots. This competition is shot under BSRC ‘Open/Class A’ regulations relating to rifle and ammunition, as set out below, which will be applied without exception. Those wishing to shoot for ‘score only’ will be permitted to use any rifle/ammunition combination meeting NRA Range Regulations.

The Chamois Challenge
Open to teams of 4 shooters from a Club or other team/group,with the individual score from the nominated entry for each shooter forming the aggregate – to qualify as an aggregate score the shooter must nominate, giving details of their Club or team, before the first shot is fired in the nominated detail. Shooters may only nominate a single detail for one Club or group only, although a Club may enter more than one team.

Rifles/Ammunition
All rifles and ammunition must meet the NRA Range Regulations in place at the time of the shoot.
HME rifles/ammunition will not be allowed.
BSRC ‘Open/Class A’ – Adjustable cheek piece and butt plate allowed; weight as shot must not exceed 5.5kg; calibre not to exceed 8.0mm; case capacity not to exceed that of .30-06; trigger pull not less than 500g; set triggers prohibited.
BSRC ‘Class B’ – Normal hunting type stock (fixed extensions to raise the comb or lengthen stock permitted but adjustable target style stocks prohibited); weight as shot must not exceed 5.5kg; calibre not less than 0.240” (6.0mm) nor greater than 8.0mm; case capacity not to exceed that of .30-06; muzzle energy of ammunition used must not be less than 1700ftlb; trigger pull not less than 500g including set triggers when ‘set’.

Note: For the majority of centrefire cartridges falling within the NRA Range Regulations a shot fired from a rifle zeroed at 100 yards will generally fall approximately 3.5-4” low on the target at 200 yards. To compensate for this, shooters who do not have an established 200 yards zero should either adjust their sights to lift the bullet impact by 2” at 100 yards or take an aiming point approximately 3.5-4” above the intended point of impact.

Entry/Range Fees
Entry will be restricted to those able to provide either:
i) a current valid BSRC membership card;
ii) a current valid Individual NRA membership card; or
iii) a current valid individual BASC membership card.
Those not providing proof of BSRC membership will also be required to provide a current valid Firearms Certificate to confirm their name and address and details of these will be recorded at registration on the day in order to satisfy Home Office requirements for visitor attendance.
ALL shooters will be required to provide a current valid Safe Shooter Card showing the use of telescope sighted rifle.
Anyone not able to meet the entry requirements above will not be permitted to shoot.

A range fee of £10 will be payable on the day which will entitle the shooter to one entry in each of the Chamois and Fox events. Those wishing to re-enter may do so, subject to range capacity and with priority given to those who are entering for the first time, on payment of a fee of £3 per re-entry per event.

Prizes will be awarded for first place only to competitors meeting the entry requirements as follows:

BSRC Members Chamois - a commemorative Stein for the highest score
Fox - a commemorative Stein for the highest score

Non-BSRC members
Chamois - a commemorative engraved glass for the highest score
Fox - a commemorative engraved glass for the highest score

The Chamois Team Challenge - a commemorative engraved glass for each member of the team with the highest aggregate score.
Prize giving will be at the end of shooting in the afternoon and in any event no later than 4:30pm.

PM me only if you intend to enter and please refrain from any general rant about SCC, insurance, NRA etc.

K

Last edited:
This time, I'll be there. Definitely. It's not on a weekday, it's not at Christmas, it's not when anyone's giving birth and hopefully not when anyone's going to hospital, so if the Cosmos just keeps steady as she goes, after five or six failed attempts to turn up, this year, I'm actually going to do it. What time do we start? I think it's a range day too. A zero check probably wouldn't hurt... Oh, and I have been meaning to reload some target rounds since the H4H day, but found out I need to resize all my cases and just haven't found the time. I guess now there's a bit of an urgency, especially as I'm travelling next week.

Look forward to seeing you and that Stutzen. A perfect rifle for a mountain goat-like critter and that's most certainly in the spirit of the competition but far from the only suitable and permissible configuration of barrel & stock.

K

That looks like a good day.
I'm just about to join BSRC, I filled in the forms and plan to visit on Tuesday.

I have one proposer already, so once properly set up I'll join in those events.

I'll be in France else I might have come down. I hope that competitors shoots this "in the spirit" and don't use gamesmanship tactics? It used, for example, be that in some competitions for classic service rifles that people would adjust sights to, in effect, cheat.

Out of interest could one use the Spartan Prescision range of sticks? These technically fit within your rules but would they be considered not in the spirit as they do magnetically attach to the rifle and so much more stable than traditional single/twin sticks?

I'll be in France else I might have come down. I hope that competitors shoots this "in the spirit" and don't use gamesmanship tactics? It used, for example, be that in some competitions for classic service rifles that people would adjust sights to, in effect, cheat.

If people choose to zero their rifle for 200 yards in advance or know precisely how many clicks to get it there on the day that's perfectly acceptable. Short of making everyone shoot the same rifle we can't make it an entirely level playing field. Come prepared is the answer and remember in which direction the turret clicks raise bullet impact!

There is no zeroing on the day.

K

Personally, I'm going with "a couple of clicks up should be about right". I'd like to be more scientific about it but I don't have the opportunity. But I think the that's in the spirit of the thing!

Out of interest could one use the Spartan Prescision range of sticks? These technically fit within your rules but would they be considered not in the spirit as they do magnetically attach to the rifle and so much more stable than traditional single/twin sticks?

It doesn't matter how the rifle attaches to the sticks but rather how many legs are in contact with the ground. As long as your sticks have only two legs (twin sticks) they will be fine. Post a picture of your sticks here if unsure.

K

If people choose to zero their rifle for 200 yards in advance or know precisely how many clicks to get it there on the day that's perfectly acceptable.

Ah...no that's commonsense. No I'm talking gamesmanship as it taking an aim on the chamois where it's leg meets the body and having the actual zero set so that the bullets impact in the scoring ring. Rather than aiming actually at where the scoring ring is.

People used to cheat on this SMLE target by taking an aim at the very bottom edge of the target but setting sights to impact in the centre. Not at all in the spirit. Same used to be done on the Snap Shooting target. In fact it is in the contemporary books on "tricks" on how to shoot the various targets. Where money is involved all sorts of things get done.

View attachment 100872

Last edited:
Ah...no that's commonsense. No I'm talking gamesmanship as it taking an aim on the chamois where it's leg meets the body and having the actual zero set so that the bullets impact in the scoring ring. Rather than aiming actually at where the scoring ring is.

People used to cheat on this SMLE target by taking an aim at the very bottom edge of the target but setting sights to impact in the centre. Not at all in the spirit. Same used to be done on the Snap Shooting target. In fact it is in the contemporary books on "tricks" on how to shoot the various targets. Where money is involved all sorts of things get done.

View attachment 100872

I guess someone might adopt such an approach but they'd be well and truly stuffed when it was time to shoot their fox with the same rifle!

K

Is a pair of sticks that attaches to a rifle not a bipod?

Is a pair of sticks that attaches to a rifle not a bipod?

Technically I suppose yes which is why I asked. The Kapita and Sentinel set ups can be uses as a single stick, twin sticks and also tripods but are sold as sticks rather than bipods (the Javelin)but one of the main selling points is the lightweight of them and their use as trekking poles for mountain hunts.

OK, I'll go over the rules for each comp again.

The Chamois:
5 shots prone using a small rucksack. No bipods/sticks
5 shots sitting using a single stick. ( If it attaches to the forend I can't see a problem but will get a clarifying statement from BSRC.)

The Fox:
5 shots sitting using double sticks in 90 seconds. As per above if they attach to forend.
5 shots standing using double sticks in 90 seconds.

Additional notes for The Fox:
a. If you cannot get 4 rounds in the mag and one up the spout I will happily hold your 5th round and pass it to you when required.
b. If you encounter a loading problem I will stop the clock. I don't want anyone going home thinking they've been unlucky or unfairly treated.

Lastly and probably most importantly, do NOT close the bolt until told to. This will only be when the the rifle is in the shoulder and very clearly pointing at the backstop and not blue sky.

Last edited:
Friday kick!
zgfGauy.jpg

So far only our finest SD hand-wringing Liberal has confirmed his attendance. A little disappointing if truth be told given the number of folk on here who regularly neck shoot fallow at 499 yards.

It looked a fun thing, but travelling all the way from North Wales, and staying down that way makes it a little difficult. Also I appear to be "un-insured" under the rules as my membership of the BASC is through both the shoot I belong to and the wildfowling club I belong to but not as an "individual member" as specified in the early post.

I do hope that the meeting goes well though.

David.

A club range near Oldham is running this course of fire in the afternoon of Sunday 23rd Sept. The scores (with the shooters' consent, and if they're shot with the right kind of rifle!) will be submitted to the BSRC.

There might be some places available for (FAC-holding) visitors - so if you're within striking-distance and you fancy a go, please drop me a PM.

Back