Thread: Self-aiming rifles

The technology is alredy in use, just it needs to be miniturised!!

Dave

No thanks. What's next - we sit in our armchairs and remotely control a robot to stalk deer?

Wasn't there an internet site based in texas in which you could pay to log on and view a webcam of an auto feeder, covered by an automated rifle? Use the cursor keys to aim and shoot the animals.

A huge part of stalking for me is getting out into nature and away from the plethora of electronic neusances.

I had a good stalk last night in to a group of does, just to see how close I could get and managed 50 yards. I enjoyed every minute, and that's what I love about stalking, the challenge of outwitting an animal with sharper senses than ours. I wouldn't want to pull a trigger from long range knowing that technolgy will make up for my lack of fieldcraft. I'll stick to doing it the the traditional way for the moment, but I might feel differently when I'm struggling to finish my doe cull!
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 03-10-2010 at 21:58.

I heard a good story from a stalker I met in a chip shop when on holiday in Beauly {Inverness} during the summer............

An American paid a fortune for a weeks red stag stalking last season. He was desperate for a huge trophy taken in the Scottish Highlands. After the first day he was so knackered he couldn't face another day on the hill so just sent the stalker out on his own to shoot him a trophy to take home to the U.S

Now this may be just a 'story' but never the less it would'nt be surprised if it were true..............I did laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    No thanks. What's next - we sit in our armchairs and remotely control a robot to stalk deer?

Wasn't there an internet site based in texas in which you could pay to log on and view a webcam of an auto feeder, covered by an automated rifle? Use the cursor keys to aim and shoot the animals.

A huge part of stalking for me is getting out into nature and away from the plethora of electronic neusances.
    Yes. There was actually several, though only one became notorious over here as it was reported by the BBC. The company has since closed down, though from reading that awful yank, AR forum I believe there may still be other "internet / remote" controlled canned hunting operations out there based in other countries.

I'm the same too. When it comes to stalking and fishing it's all about getting out there away from the office. Landing or shooting something is really just a bonus.