Fitting a Yukon Photon NV - Before you buy mounts, read this.

Ozalid

Ok, so fitting a Yukon Photon NV Scope, it looks like a normal scope with 30mm tube so some high mounts and a weaver rail and you are sorted right? Well, not necessarily as it happens and before you go ordering mounts, you should check the following.

If you look at the length of the Yukon NV, it is approximately 440mm, around the same length as a normal scope, but what you forget is that when we use a normal scope we expect 3-4" 'eye-relief' to guard against recoil and gives us a nice comfortable head position.

To use the Yukon however, you must have your eye against the rubber cup which is 3-4" further away than you are used to, in my case with my CZ455, I found it almost impossible to position my eye to the scope with the stock in my shoulder and thats without a thick coat on, yes I do have a bit of a stiff neck, but this has never been a problem for me before, so all I am saying is, before you replace your normal scope, try using it with your eye touching the end and see how comfortable this is, if it feels ok you should be fine, if you find yourself craning your neck, buy the Yukon SW-30 mount which sets the scope further back and makes it comfortable to use.

IMG_4663.jpg Unknown.jpg

Having the scope set back to a more normal eye relief is really essential, I have a photon I use on everything, I got a Tier 1 relief mount to fit a QD Blaser Mount, I can zero in each calibre, chop and change from day to night scope

I made a note of each calibre setting on X & Y when changing calibres one shot zero check and your in business

it really is a decent small NV a bit cheaper than the others I can shoot mine to 200 yds ( that’s more than enough for me) with a 840 nm IR on board and it retains its accuracy along side anything else

well worth the effort to get it right, I use mine a lot and remove the batteries each time and start with fresh re charged ones each time, it’s never let me down and I feel confident shooting out to 200 with because it fits like a day scope on relief

i have the photon 6.5 mounted on a ruger 1022, before that i had it on a howa 1500 in. 223. i fitted a one piece weaver rail and used high mounts, the one piece rail gave all the adjustment that i found i needed in the end.

Back