Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderator Advice

Moderator Advice

Dear All,

I need some advice on the use of one moderator on two rifles.

I have a 6.5 x 55 and a 7 mm Rem Mag on my ticket. I have permission for a moderator for both (two separate entries on my ticket). I have bought a 6.5 x 55 rifle and hope to buy a 7mm in due course. As yet I don't have a mod for either. The 6.5 x 55 came factory screw cut. It is a bog standard Sako 85 stainless synthetic. The thread is 14 mm (according to the bloke in the shop).

I ordered a mod today from my local shop. I went for a stainless ASE Northstar. I ordered the .30" version with a 14 mm thread.

My understanding is that 6.5 mm is .264 in imperial and 7mm is .28ish. If this is correct, and subject to the nuances of my FAC (which I won't go into here) and the 7mm having the right thread, it seems that I could swap the mod between the two.

My question is - are there any problems associated with using one mod for two rifles. I wonder if this is good / bad practice and whether it can lead to flyers or other problems with accuracy. The mod was quite expensive and if there are no down sides from swapping it between the two rifles I could save myself some cash by doing so. If there are problems I will get a separate mod for the 7mm when I get one.

Any advice about swapping would be very gratefully received.

Cheers,

Bob

I can't see it being a problem at all mate. The thread is the same, the bore is ample.
    You should always remove the moderator for storage anyway so why should it matter which one it goes on next? As long as they are both zeroed for the same mod, I think it is a 'sound' solution.
    MS

Edit: Hang on though, isn't the Northstar an overbarrel one with the machineable bush which fits the barrel? If so, then it will mean getting two bushes!

Edit 2: Apparently not as it is an overbarrel type but has no bush:
    http://gunmart.net/accessories_revie...tar_moderator/
    Back to my original answer then!
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 04-10-2010 at 22:54.

Dovebob + Spanker,
    I'm not 100% on this but wouldn't there be a 'ticket' issue using one mod for 2 rifles ? For instance each listing (the mod is classed as a firearm) on your ticket and is relevant for a specific weapon ! In other words, you can (strictly speaking) only use the mod on one rifle. Should you be using the mod on the rifle you purchase secondly, and in due course, come renewal wouldn't you then lose authority for that entry due to lack of use or a non purchase ????

Ade
    HOW MANY HALF TRUTHS MAKE A STORY.....ALL OF THEM.....JUST NOT THE WHOLE STORY !

Quote Originally Posted by Ade 30-06 View Post
    Dovebob + Spanker,
    I'm not 100% on this but wouldn't there be a 'ticket' issue using one mod for 2 rifles ? For instance each listing (the mod is classed as a firearm) on your ticket and is relevant for a specific weapon ! In other words, you can (strictly speaking) only use the mod on one rifle. Should you be using the mod on the rifle you purchase secondly, and in due course, come renewal wouldn't you then lose authority for that entry due to lack of use or a non purchase ????

Ade
    Possibly? I would be more concerned with the 7mm in that how do you know a 14X1 thread will be right for the barrel you have not got?

Bob

See my gallery, 260 Rem and 243 Win with the same .30 cal AU-S5 sound moderator. No issues.

Rgds JCS

I hav 3 cf rifles .222 .243 & a .270 all threaded 1/2" I only have 1 moderator & have never had any problems with accuracy of the rifles.
    As for the legal side of things it is on my ticket as a separate entry as 1 CF sound moderator dose not say that it is specific to 1 rifle.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ade 30-06 View Post
    Dovebob + Spanker,

Ade
    That's a very good point Ade, and I suspect it will differ between constabularies as most issues do! Despite 'Home Office Guidelines', there seems to be less standardisation between forces than there could be.
    However, if the moderator is listed on the FAC as a seperate entity, then there shouldn't be an issue surely?
    If anything, the police should support the idea as it is effectively minimising your holdings.
    Probably best to ask your FLO first I reckon.
    MS

I use the northstar on to rifles and with no problems at all.

If you have two moderators, lets say for argument that they are T8's, one for the 6.5 and one for the 7mm. If you look at them there is no serial number stamped on them, only the letters and numbers ".30 Cal" are visible. How in hell would anyone tell which one was supposed to be used on which rifle?

Answer; They can't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least you can't on mine.

There is some proper guff being talked about moderators again and again at the moment. Most are not calibre specific, just have a recommendation on the largest calibre that it can be used with. For all those people who keep trotting out the guff about moderators only being used on one specific rifle answer me this, what happens when you buy a Wildcat with varying baffle stacks?

As long as you have permission to use moderators on both rifles and the moderator is safe to use on your rifles, whether or not you own one or two moderators makes no difference.
    ft
    Last edited by flytie; 05-10-2010 at 09:43. Reason: Writers block.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Agree entirely. In the case of a wildcat as they are totally interchangeable and as mine is proofed on the middle section i could easily swop it onto anther entirely different calbre. Daft really. So best thing with them is one will fit all and with different rear bushes and front end you can interchange between calibres and different threads. Suggest you stay with one only and interchange.

D