Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: History, and current 30-06

Question History, and current 30-06

How popular was the 30-06 between the wars? How popular now? capt david

After WWI, Springfield made an effort to promote the .30 US as a hunting cartridge by marketing their Springfield Sporter. So did Sedgley, on the pedestrian end, and Griffin & Howe on the upper end of custom rifles.

The NRA, through its sponsorship of Service Rifle Matches, motivated target shooters to move to the 1903 Springfield. Winchester continued chambering the 1895 lever action in .30-03 until 1928, but began offering it in .30-06 as well. Winchester brought out their Model 54 in the .30-06, later replaced by the Model 70 in 1937. By that time, Germany and Austria were offering sporting Mausers and Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifles in .30-06. The Great Depression just limited sales of sporting rifles all over the world from 1930 to 1939. Then the war broke out.

And it was WWII, with millions of soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen returning from the war, that the .30-06 became THE cartridge. My father, a pilot, only fired the 1903A3 and Garand in training, but he respected the rifles and the cartridge for their ability to, "reach out". He had seen an ME-109 shot down by mass fire of infantry it was strafing in North Africa. When he decided to buy a commercial deer rifle, it was a .30-06. Naturally, I followed, grading up from my .303 Jungle Carbine to a new Remington 700 BDL in .30-06.

Over here in Norway it is still a very popular round. The old german M98 s left over from the war were rebarrelled from 8x57 to 30-06 for military use until the 308 became more popular. The 30-06 is one of the three most popular rounds here, the others being 308w and 6.5x55.

I bought a Rem 700 BDL Left hand 30.06 for an up and coming boar trip.

BC.

Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    How popular was the 30-06 between the wars? How popular now? capt david
    If you are talking between WW1 and WW2 not very popular. Becoming slightly more popular now probably mainly with those that travel abroad to shoot boar. That has been a fairly recent thing though as several countries have only in recent years eased restrictions on possessing what were military cartridges.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

30-06 seems very popular in Germany too. Just a very sensible hunting cartridge for their game. Even the longer length over say 308 can be an advantage in that it feeds more reliably from hunting rifle drop plate mags. Here in Ireland 30-06 seems to be well behind the 308 or even 270.
    edi

The USA sells more reloading materials for the 30-06 than any other calibers.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    The USA sells more reloading materials for the 30-06 than any other calibers.
    Really ? Not .308 ?

I think they used to measure it on the number of sets of dies sold each year not on components because .30 calibre components would cover a huge range of different cartridges.
    Guns and Ammo used to publish the list of sales each year and for many years .30-06 was the most popular rifle dies sold but I think it was knocked off its peg some years ago.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I think they used to measure it on the number of sets of dies sold each year not on components because .30 calibre components would cover a huge range of different cartridges.
    Guns and Ammo used to publish the list of sales each year and for many years .30-06 was the most popular rifle dies sold but I think it was knocked off its peg some years ago.
    Yes, it's usually RCBS' die sales quoted, just that one manufacturer. It appears that factory ammunition sales are also used though.

According to Chuck Hawks, 30-06 was in 3rd place in 2015 behind 223 and 308:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/best_sell...cartridges.htm

But with 30-30 WCF in 4th place in this listing, you've got to wonder about its reliability even given the USA's longstanding association with and love for leverguns and this cartridge.