Binoculars?

Dawsie

In the market for a new pair of bins, what magnification do you advise? 8x42? 10x42? 10x50? etc,
Main pros and cons to consider?
New or used?
Not looking to spend a fortune, £400 max.
Opinions on the Vortex viper HD range?

Cheers

In the market for a new pair of bins, what magnification do you advise? 8x42? 10x42? 10x50? etc,
Main pros and cons to consider?
New or used?
Not looking to spend a fortune, £400 max.
Opinions on the Vortex viper HD range?

Cheers
Try Minox bv 8x42

Stick to 8x42,
you'll benefit from the field of view and light gathering,
unless you are doing open hill stuff, in which case 10x maybe more suitable.

I've got a pair of Vortex Viper 8x42 HD and rate them highly. Not quite as good as Swarowski but good enough for men and have a lifetime warranty. Amazing for the price.

Consider these points:
* More magnification also means you magnify your own shaking more.... So more magnification doesn't always mean it is 'better'.
* More magnification = a larger heavier Bin. Something to consider as you hang it around your neck and walk around with it.
Thinking about the above points, a lot of stalkers compromise on something in the '8x' magnification range.
* Min. spec should be: Waterproof, shockproof, gas-filled, multi-coated lenses. You're looking at around £300 and upwards new. (Upwards to £2K + if you are keen on a Premium Brand) or for a 'Used' Premium Brand from a reputable reseller you could pick up one from around £300-£500. Have a look at this retailer who has an excellent reputation for quality used optics: R MacLeod

Last edited:
I use Zeiss terra 8x42 awesome for less than £500 Merlin country sports in Pontypridd sell them.

If you can find a second hand pair of one of the top brands in 7x42 or 8x42 in your price range they are worth it. The Minox's etc are without doubt good value but you will find that you have to re-focus constantly which I found a little bit annoying when I swapped my Leica 7x42s with a friend for the day.

If you can find a second hand pair of one of the top brands in 7x42 or 8x42 in your price range they are worth it. The Minox's etc are without doubt good value but you will find that you have to re-focus constantly which I found a little bit annoying when I swapped my Leica 7x42s with a friend for the day.
never had that problem ?

never had that problem ?
You've clearly not compared them then Kenny. It's very obvious when you use them for an extended period of time. If they had the same properties as the big names they would cost the same as the big names and would indeed be one of the big names themselves. You get what you pay for in everything. There are no free meal tickets in this world I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Dawsie when you decide on brand have a look at Mclouds of Tain .He,s very highly spoken of by many on here and has a wide range of decent high end bino,s 2nd hand atb whatever you decide on

You've clearly not compared them then Kenny. It's very obvious when you use them for an extended period of time. If they had the same properties as the big names they would cost the same as the big names and would indeed be one of the big names themselves. You get what you pay for in everything. There are no free meal tickets in this world I'm afraid.
Used them for hours at a time and compared them to big ticket binos they were better but not 10x better which was the price difference ! The 2x price range units were no better , I have used the minox in rain and at dusk, as long as the binos last until I can no longer see through my S&B scope I'm happy

Out from as little as fifty yards to as much hundred to four hundred yards for deer 7x is probably overall the best. I currently have Leica 7x42 BA and Optolyth 7x50. If I want better magnification for a more detailed examination I then use a Gray's 25x stalking telescope.

But Leica, Swaro, Zeiss, Minox, Bushnell or whatever check which has the best eyepieces that work for you. I had a pair of Zeiss 10x40 Duralyt but I found the Leica more overall practical not only because of them being 7x but also because of the eyepieces.

Last edited:

Interesting you say that - I have a pair of Minox BF 10x42 that need constantly refocusing. I thought that it was just me. They live in the truck so it’s not the end of the world that they need refocusing all the time.

Gregor at www.rmacleod.co.uk has a wide range of new and second hand binos. I would recommend Swarovski CL 8x30 at £430 (just bought a pair) which will suit woodland, open hill, dawn or dusk and everything in between ;)

Back