Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sika and their areas in scotland

sika and their areas in scotland

hi guys

just wondering.....

all my deer stalking has been 99.9% roe.

im now just wondering where are Sika "found" within scotland and where would closest area be to me ? (im in Angus area of scotland between aberdeen n dundee)

sauer / paul

They're found in many parts of Scotland. I would however recomend that you don't get too hung up on finding the closest area to you, but rather, concentrate on finding the better areas for Sika in Scotland. If you're prepared to travel then PM me. I've just had a great time in a forest full of them.

As has been suggested you need to be careful with sika. Now, I don't claim to be an expert in anything but if you are looking for some sika stalking for yourself, as opposed to the odd bought day, then here are some thoughts which might be of some use to you, most of this you will know I'm sure and these comments are based on sika in commercial forestry:

In commercial forestry it is nigh on impossible to stalk into sika actually in the forest.

Sika will come out to feed during the day where they are undisturbed. I suspect that as for red deer they probably would like to feed on about a 4 hour cycle and so they will come out onto the grass during daylight. However, if they are shot hard, or in this part of the world poached without mercy, then they will not move out of the forestry until it is dark. The harder they are hit the longer they will wait but I've seen them abandon quite large areas totally after just one poaching incident. The area I have in mind used to have deer on it every night and there hasn't been deer seen on it in about two years now, though the land use etc. has not changed.

So, you can have a forest full of sika but the only way to see them is with a lamp after dark. This means that, in general, the only way to stalk them is with a highseat/fixed position in the hope that the deer will move before it gets too dark to get a shot. Then you have to extract etc. in the dark which can be a pain.

So, if you can find a relatively undisturbed population then you can get a full day of stalking with a reasonable chance of seeing something moving in day light. In most areas, however, you might get 30 minutes per day when there are deer moving and there is enough light to see them.

This applies to sika in forestry, I suspect that they may behave somewhat differently on the open hill but have no direct experience of this. However, hopefully this gives you some idea of what you are looking for - it might be better to travel further to a less disturbed population than to sit for nights on end only seeing deer in the lights of the car as you drive out.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    For whatever reason, they have not travelled very far East of Inverness, but I'd certinally say, anywhere north of Inverness is prolific with them.

Edited to add more info- I should have also said that they are west of Inverness too....In big numbers...

TJ
    Last edited by tartinjock; 05-10-2010 at 14:35.
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

All round Loch Ness, even well south Sika are abundant. One of the original releases/escapes of Sika in Scotland came from the Dochfour area on the north shore of Loch Ness. They were said to originally consist of Formosan cross Japanese deer imported from a deer park in south Japan. They are certainly short , very blocky and beautiful to look at-ask Lee6.5.

TJ-is east of Inverness not sea----- just joking!!! Best wishes David

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    In commercial forestry it is nigh on impossible to stalk into sika actually in the forest.

Izat soo?

I never thought I was doing the "nigh on impossible". The usual rules do apply, re: wind, visible movement, noise. Mind you, you can often get away with a remarkable amount of noise if the first two are well taken care of, but Sika will test you. BTW I've done this more than once or twice now

By way of an example, I set my son off into his first stag, in a commercial plantation, on foot and unaccompanied, with a few simple guidelines. He did as he was advised and bagged himself a cracking good Sika 6 pointer (nicely heart shot, off-hand, at about 60yds too). He'd never shot a deer before, never even stalked one before. One stalk, one shot, one nice Sika stag. I've told him he should probably quit now, cos it doesn't get any better than that ...

... but you most certainly can stalk them in forestry, even if they make hill reds seem like sheep by comparison. S'bladdy good fun too.

thanks guys....more prolific than i thought but by sounds of it they aint an easy beast to come to grips with

that with what ive read about them being hard to drop too......

i just read alot bout people who hear the whistle and how eeirree it is!!!
    would love to hear it for myself

sauer

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    BTW I've done this more than once or twice now

... but you most certainly can stalk them in forestry, even if they make hill reds seem like sheep by comparison. S'bladdy good fun too.
    I don't dispute that you have success doing this but most of the forestry blocks I have access to I physically can't get into them, at best I might be able to crawl a short distance but I can't imagine what it would take to extract one that was shot in there. How do you manage to get them out once you shoot them?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Izat soo?

I never thought I was doing the "nigh on impossible". The usual rules do apply, re: wind, visible movement, noise. Mind you, you can often get away with a remarkable amount of noise if the first two are well taken care of, but Sika will test you. BTW I've done this more than once or twice now

By way of an example, I set my son off into his first stag, in a commercial plantation, on foot and unaccompanied, with a few simple guidelines. He did as he was advised and bagged himself a cracking good Sika 6 pointer (nicely heart shot, off-hand, at about 60yds too). He'd never shot a deer before, never even stalked one before. One stalk, one shot, one nice Sika stag. I've told him he should probably quit now, cos it doesn't get any better than that ...

I am with caorach on this in my forestry block stalking is not the way to go, sitting up is. I always tell people who come to my ground that stalking is not on, Sika are masters of mystery in the forest they appear out of nowhere and disappear the same way without making a sound. What to you or I would be impenetrable wood is to them a flat field to be taken at a full gallop. I am not saying that under the right circumstances they cannot be stalked but such circumstances are few and far between IMHO.

By the way your son is to be congratulated, there are not many who could claim such a trophy for their first beast. Also your bravery must be acknowledged for allowing a inexperienced stalker to undertake such a venture.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    I am with caorach on this in my forestry block stalking is not the way to go, sitting up is. I always tell people who come to my ground that stalking is not on, Sika are masters of mystery in the forest they appear out of nowhere and disappear the same way without making a sound. What to you or I would be impenetrable wood is to them a flat field to be taken at a full gallop. I am not saying that under the right circumstances they cannot be stalked but such circumstances are few and far between IMHO.

By the way your son is to be congratulated, there are not many who could claim such a trophy for their first beast. Also your bravery must be acknowledged for allowing a inexperienced stalker to undertake such a venture.

John
    Hmmm... better account for ma sell.

Firstly; We usually do sit.

Secondly; My son was 22 years old at the time and there was no bravery involved. He is a fine shot and has served his time. He started with an airgun on targets at about 8years old. His training on clays with a shotgun began when he was about 14. He has shot rabbits, gutted, butchered, prepped and cooked them, then eaten them, since he was about 10. He has also shot his share of every sort of vermin hereabouts over the years and joined our pheasant shoot when he was 18. He has also shot everything that he legally could, here on the farm. With the exception of Roe. So, when I sent him into the woods for his stag, I knew he would do it properly and no shot would get taken if it wasn't well presented and safe. Frankly, he followed much the same path as I did, with even more shooters around him than I had. My first deer shooting experienced was on Roe and that saw me take 2 does on the turnip break, on a very frosty morning, after crawling about 100 yds into, them in the middle of a field (took them at about the same 60yds too and I remember it like it was yesterday.) That was nearly 30 years ago.

I'll pass along your congratulations~Tom.