Do I really need a dog?

with some injuries you go in in 5mins and you will push the animal on and that is the issue, going in with a dog that can not hold a wounded animal helps nothing at all and creates more suffering in the long run, regards wayne.

Well said, glad you set the record straight there. The dog we use for recovery is a fairly heavy animal with a very strong hold, used to holding angry pigs. He’s had no difficultly at all with medium red deer though I’ve never seen him on a stag.

Message from my wife in particular, thank you for posting your association website because she has just fallen in love with the Hannoverscher Schweißhund! And I’m very impressed with that as well as the Bayrische Gebirgsschweißhunde, we’ve just the evening reading about them and watching some videos. What handsome animals.

Thanks Dodgy they really are a great breed, until people see what a trained dog will actually do they think every dog is the same, I have said it many times any dog will find you that dead deer 50-100 yrds away no issues at all, without proper training from an early age you are going to be very lucky to get a dog to hold or stop a wounded deer and then it will get hurt or even worse on a wild boar. there is no need whatsoever to rush in if you can see you have a wounded beast that needs experience to get, time is your friend and certain injuries are hard even with a trained team add to the mix you have already pushed it before hand and it is harder, a wounded deer will lay down within 200m and if you have checked the shot site and not found anything using a dog under control to search quitely if no sign or bits of bone are found you can then re asses the situation, to get that beast, it is at the end of the day animal welfare to do what you can to get that beast, think before rushing in, regards wayne, ps dodgy i will at some point post some vids and links of us working, regards wayne.

Thanks Dodgy they really are a great breed, until people see what a trained dog will actually do they think every dog is the same, I have said it many times any dog will find you that dead deer 50-100 yrds away no issues at all, without proper training from an early age you are going to be very lucky to get a dog to hold or stop a wounded deer and then it will get hurt or even worse on a wild boar. there is no need whatsoever to rush in if you can see you have a wounded beast that needs experience to get, time is your friend and certain injuries are hard even with a trained team add to the mix you have already pushed it before hand and it is harder, a wounded deer will lay down within 200m and if you have checked the shot site and not found anything using a dog under control to search quitely if no sign or bits of bone are found you can then re asses the situation, to get that beast, it is at the end of the day animal welfare to do what you can to get that beast, think before rushing in, regards wayne, ps dodgy i will at some point post some vids and links of us working, regards wayne.

please do, I'm interested to see good dogs working, and I'm probably not alone.:thumb:

excellent, that's some serious terrain right there, looks like a combination of hunting and abseiling ;) why has the dog shaved areas on its back,,? injury?

excellent, that's some serious terrain right there, looks like a combination of hunting and abseiling ;) why has the dog shaved areas on its back,,? injury?
Ombra,the BGS,was recovering from a previous Chamois wound.
Ombra has been actually cut open again 3 weeks ago and has already healed and back to tracking.
A very good dog and team.

Ombra,the BGS,was recovering from a previous Chamois wound.
Ombra has been actually cut open again 3 weeks ago and has already healed and back to tracking.
A very good dog and team.

I like a dog with "spirit" I hope she learns to be a little "canny" around those Chamois,:thumb:

looking at the difficulty in hunting and subsequent tracking and extraction makes me think how relatively easy it is in flat Norfolk. :cool:

Yesterday morning dog and I walked up on a possible stag ,one kilometre up to the back bushline. I lost him as he just vanished and asked myself 'now where the eff did he go,straight ahead into the bush or right into the creek over the hill' but did of course have an idea of where to go only because my dog advised me that he was def in front of us although unseen and we followed him over the brow into a bush creek. I saw a wild dog in the bush on the way also. I was fairly surprised as to how quickly the stag had walked upstream,I suppose he was just deer walking and I was slowly sneaking. As the light became better the stag became more alert of course,I looked at him sideon at 150 yards as he stopped for a listen before heading into a big dogwood patch. He looked ok to me and the order would have been..'give it to him' to my mate if he was with me.He was quickly swallowed up by the dogwood,I didnt film him within the time frame but across the creek was another one that was worth the film set up as he looked relaxed with head down.....small bugger but I got behind a fallen tree trunk 4' high and took a couple of short films of him before he too wandered back through the thick bush.

I reiterate ...an idea of where to go only because my dog advised me that he was def in front of us although unseen

Last edited:
Yesterday morning dog and I walked up on a possible stag ,one kilometre up to the back bushline. I lost him as he just vanished and asked myself 'now where the eff did he go,straight ahead into the bush or right into the creek over the hill' but did of course have an idea of where to go only because my dog advised me that he was def in front of us although unseen and we followed him over the brow into a bush creek. I saw a wild dog in the bush on the way also. I was fairly surprised as to how quickly the stag had walked upstream,I suppose he was just deer walking and I was slowly sneaking. As the light became better the stag became more alert of course,I looked at him sideon at 150 yards as he stopped for a listen before heading into a big dogwood patch. He looked ok to me and the order would have been..'give it to him' to my mate if he was with me.He was quickly swallowed up by the dogwood,I didnt film him within the time frame but across the creek was another one that was worth the film set up as he looked relaxed with head down.....small bugger but I got behind a fallen tree trunk 4' high and took a couple of short films of him before he too wandered back through the thick bush.

I reiterate ...an idea of where to go only because my dog advised me that he was def in front of us although unseen

Nothing special at all.
Any dog should indicate animals in front,all our tracking dogs stalk at heel and indicate animals from a long way out.
The dog should do this as a matter of course.

Nothing special at all.
Any dog should indicate animals in front,all our tracking dogs stalk at heel and indicate animals from a long way out.
The dog should do this as a matter of course.

I wasnt bragging about anything special at all I was simply saying how it was that day.

You obviously haven't read my posts or looked at my photos over the years wolverine pertaining to my dogs have you.

My old dog has followed up so many deer taking me with him to them and has found plenty of deer in heavy bush,bush that you probably have no idea of at all.

Stalk at heel? my dog leads me,he is in front of me,close by so I can see exactly what he is doing with head/nose/tail/point postures. I don`t want a dog at heel and have to look over my shoulder at him. We do it every day too.

We often walk/stalk through Sambar deer trails in blackberry thickets,there is only room for one at a time as they are narrow...dog in front thanks.

I wasnt bragging about anything special at all I was simply saying how it was that day.

You obviously haven't read my posts or looked at my photos over the years wolverine pertaining to my dogs have you.

My old dog has followed up so many deer taking me with him to them and has found plenty of deer in heavy bush,bush that you probably have no idea of at all.

Stalk at heel? my dog leads me,he is in front of me,close by so I can see exactly what he is doing with head/nose/tail/point postures. I don`t want a dog at heel and have to look over my shoulder at him. We do it every day too.

We often walk/stalk through Sambar deer trails in blackberry thickets,there is only room for one at a time as they are narrow...dog in front thanks.

Your heavy bush will be nothing special at all either.
Having a dog at heel is exactly the same euphemism as having the dog in front of you,dog is under control at all times,as said,nothing special.A dog at heel will indicate all in front of you.If said dog at heel is not in front of you it won’t indicate much.....
Sambar are larger than boar,when you have to go on your hands and knees through your bush following the wounded animal like we do when on boar then inform me that i don’t know what heavy bush is,or when your in among windblow after wounded sika.
I find it very amusing people always think that they have the better ways pertaining to what they are doing even with no idea of what others do.
As for every day working,again,nothing special,we do too.At night as well.
Dead animals are very easily recovered .......
How many wounded animals have your dogs recovered John ?
What type of wounds ?
After how many dogs having attempted already ?
How old are the tracks ?
How long are the tracks on the certain wounds ?
How much distraction on the tracks ?
Success rate on these types of tracks ?

Thing being here is having a dog that helps you in whatever you do,as simple as that.

Last edited:
First off I have to throw your line back at you.

Your heavy bush will be nothing special at all either.

Ha ha choke!

Sambar are larger than boar,when you have to go on your hands and knees through your bush following the wounded animal like we do when on boar then inform me that i don’t know what heavy bush is,or when your in among windblow after wounded sika.

Sambar readily crawl on their knees.. that is true,they use huge blackberry clumps 100`s and 100`s of yards across they tunnel through and believe me I have followed them into their hidey holes. I have a degree in crawling ha ha.

Boar? What? a few Pom pigs,we (dogs and I ) with knife caught a few thousand pigs/boar back in the old days. That degree achieved was started when I was a boy.

One of my favourites pigs, I caught with my dog, himself later killed by a boar. I stuck him with my knife..no gun involved. Back in `78,I was getting my Masters then lol.

etsg01.jpg

Wounded deer? Well generally and I do say 'generally' 99% of shots are death shots as I am a firm believer in not shooting at anything unless I have an almost perfect target area,if done correctly deer is dead. If a runner as big Sambar can be even when well hit the dog comes into play for finding,dead or alive. He has found enough to justify giving him another bread roll with Marmite on it. The priority for my dog is to assist in locating deer alive and as a side hand if dead.

Having hunted Sika in conifers and windrows and deep in the guts of the Wicklows over a couple of years,it can be rough but it is absolutely nothing as to what the Aussie bush can throw at you. One of the SD members arrives in two days for some rough hunting,he can tell you about it when he returns.

I live in a virtual wilderness,no neighbours for kilometres and don`t use any others dogs,in fact there are none near me that I know of.

A month ago one of the stags I knocked over took a liking to getting away, it was entirely my fault for misjudging his pace I let him be overnight and dog followed up his last marks and bayed him next morning in the creek a kilometre plus away through bush of course.

Previously posted short little video of some terrain we hunt its in the bottom of a basin surrounded by bush hills rising over 4000' dog was at the deer before me ...of course lol. Its hard on dogs too with the berry canes thwarting a lot of their movements in places. The hind was on a dry "island" when I went in to collect a game camera card,she honked,I shot. One big problem we can have is that one`s dog is pointing ahead and its a bit like wtf! What is he pointing at in this sort of cover,so much cover for the deer to hide in and they can hide like no other.
The next road is 20 kilometres 'over the hill' believe me our bush is different to your idea of bush.

Last edited:
As said.....nothing special at all.
Interesting to note that Sambar crawl through tunnels same as boar.....i also have a degree in crawling.
Killing boar(pigs)with a knife is no problem either and again,nothing special at all.
Only work the one dog on these animals as well.
Vastly different though John with the fact that a lot of the animals we are tracking are wounded by other people.
Our dogs are also used in exactly the same way you are using yours.
Your bush is no thicker than stuff I have seen here,in fact you can still stand in your bush so it looks very easy and very nice to find animals in.......you can keep your snakes,spiders and saltwater crocodiles though-very welcome to them.

:popcorn:
:rofl:

Keep it up lads.

Just to clarify one thing (and I'm being serious here Wolverine).

Does the Hannoverscher Schweißhund and Bayrische Gebirgsschweißhunde indicate like a vizla, or a GWP / GSP? Stop, point, draw on and hold?

I love the look of those dogs and quite fancy one.

Nothing special about sticking wild boar with a knife?

So you yourself have done a few hundred by the sounds of it then?

It does depend on what dog is holding the **** and it does take a special and strong dog to hold big boars for his master to be able to approach and stick without being ripped himself.

you can keep your snakes,spiders and saltwater crocodiles though-very welcome to them.

Four people in Victoria yesterday were bitten by snakes and we basically only have BAD snakes. The video above is a dry winter one from memory,cold as, so no snakes. I videoed three stags heading for that spot this very morning,its a place at this time of year that eyes are peeled wide for wrigglers.One day you may come down and see just how dissimilar our ordinary old Aussie bush is to the the Forests of Dean.:eek:

I videoed three stags heading for that spot this very morning,i

So you don`t think that I am fibbing ha ha

Apologies for poor images but they are screen captures.

20p30w2.jpg

Two brown humps on left are two stags sparring.

im6z5z.jpg

:popcorn:
:rofl:

Keep it up lads.

Just to clarify one thing (and I'm being serious here Wolverine).

Does the Hannoverscher Schweißhund and Bayrische Gebirgsschweißhunde indicate like a vizla, or a GWP / GSP? Stop, point, draw on and hold?

I love the look of those dogs and quite fancy one.
HS and BGS do not all “point” as such but they will indicate very obviously.
Some almost point-my one lifts his head and sniffs the air,very similar to my Labradors way of indicating and most other dogs also-if you can read a dog it’s very easy to see them indicate.

Nothing special about sticking wild boar with a knife?

So you yourself have done a few hundred by the sounds of it then?

It does depend on what dog is holding the **** and it does take a special and strong dog to hold big boars for his master to be able to approach and stick without being ripped himself.

you can keep your snakes,spiders and saltwater crocodiles though-very welcome to them.

Four people in Victoria yesterday were bitten by snakes and we basically only have BAD snakes. The video above is a dry winter one from memory,cold as, so no snakes. I videoed three stags heading for that spot this very morning,its a place at this time of year that eyes are peeled wide for wrigglers.One day you may come down and see just how dissimilar our ordinary old Aussie bush is to the the Forests of Dean.:eek:

John,I’m not into ****ing contests as the next time I’m on a boar something will likely happen.I have had numerous friends lose dogs so don’t see it as a competition but more a necessary evil and don’t do it for fun but to end the suffering of a wounded animal.If I can use the rifle I will,if not because of my dog being on the animal I will use the knife.
Rest assured,you won’t get me into your Aussie bush with snakes around as well as your high temperatures and humidity.....
Blackthorn,bramble and thick spruce is fun the world over.
As said,all your lovely creatures you can keep.

I hunted Sambar deer over hounds for quite a few years and one breed that can track like a demon is a top hound,foxhounds we used,they ran deer only. I can remember Old Blue starting a stag 12 hours after he was seen down on the river bank in the Buckland Valley in `84. He cold scented that stags 12 hour old marks all the way to his bed high up on the mountain,the pack followed him on release and they quickly joined him,they were so far away that they sounded like a hive of bees and when they brought him down the cacophony of sound was awesome.KB shot him,job well done.
We hunted every weekend for 8 months straight 32 weekends every year and saw some of the best hounds ever bred in Australia.
Hard yards rain hail or snow,very little sunshine and those hounds backed up every weekend,yeah we know a little bit about tracking deer.

Back