I have just bought a classic car

Bavarianbrit

It is a 1972 Brasilian built LHD VW beetle in canary yellow with no signs of corrosion.
It has a UK V5 stating built in 1972 so it has historic status = no road tax and by next April no more MOTs needed.
It runs really well from Southampton to Dover it never missed a beat and my only running costs will be insurance fully comp £120 per year.
Surprised how comfortable the drivers seat was.
I drove with a big smile all the way home, now I will be keeping the money leeches off of my back.

And cheap spares too! I believe you can buy complete reconditioned engines for only a few hundred pounds if needs be. Any photos?

It is a 1972 Brasilian built LHD VW beetle in canary yellow with no signs of corrosion.
It has a UK V5 stating built in 1972 so it has historic status = no road tax and by next April no more MOTs needed.
It runs really well from Southampton to Dover it never missed a beat and my only running costs will be insurance fully comp £120 per year.
I drove with a big smile all the way home, now I will be keeping the money leeches off of my back.

oh dear,,, it's downhill from now on,, next it'll be tie die bloody kaftans and cnd rallies. :rofl:

Well done I wish you many happy years of motoring, but if you think its going to be cheap ,,,its NOT, if you are like most of the classic car owners i know, there will always be something that is " not quite right" but at least with a beetle you can do most of the jobs yourself
Happy Motoring
Ray

Great cars. Learned to drive in my fathers 43 years ago. If you don't have one of these, let me know. Not sure if they fitted these to centre of steering wheel to Brazilian made cars rather than Wolfsburg or if they used another emblem. Don't start!!

Attachments

• Wolfsberg.jpg
    Wolfsberg.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 79
No MOTs needed again? How can an old car not have its roadworthy tested for use on public roads?

Enjoy your classic - sorry but im a mini fan and the thought of that air cooled lump sends shivers down my spine...

You could always fit a Porsche 944 lump in it tho...

No MOTs needed again? How can an old car not have its roadworthy tested for use on public roads?

mot only guarantees conformation on the day of test, I worked in the motor trade for 6-7 years doing mot work on an almost daily basis, you'd be surprised how many vehicles less than 3 years old,[therefor not requiring mot] were blatantly unroadworthy some lethally, ie, no brakes at all, bald tyres, steering "vague" to say the least!

whereas almost without exception the "classics" were often in almost showroom condition, there are always those who take the **** regarding road safety dragging some rusted old piece of near scrap out of a barn/hedge and placing it on the road, but ultimately you are still responsible for the vehicles road worthiness and those without sufficient knowledge of this will book the vehicle into a reputable garage to ensure this, the law states an mot is not required, it does not prevent you from actually having one conducted.

mot only guarantees conformation on the day of test, I worked in the motor trade for 6-7 years doing mot work on an almost daily basis, you'd be surprised how many vehicles less than 3 years old,[therefor not requiring mot] were blatantly unroadworthy some lethally, ie, no brakes at all, bald tyres, steering "vague" to say the least!

whereas almost without exception the "classics" were often in almost showroom condition, there are always those who take the **** regarding road safety dragging some rusted old piece of near scrap out of a barn/hedge and placing it on the road, but ultimately you are still responsible for the vehicles road worthiness and those without sufficient knowledge of this will book the vehicle into a reputable garage to ensure this, the law states an mot is not required, it does not prevent you from actually having one conducted.

Makes sense.

That"s how I will do it. After 50 years of designing cars I am just bored stiff with all the lookalike vehicles out there that are full of expensive electronic gadgets that are built down to a price that lets the supplier get the contract against all the others chasing it = after five years of use they begin to fail with the aggressive condensation climate present in cars and corrosion on the motherboards sets in.
Beetles at least have a distinctive shape.

That"s how I will do it. After 50 years of designing cars I am just bored stiff with all the lookalike vehicles out there that are full of expensive electronic gadgets that are built down to a price that lets the supplier get the contract against all the others chasing it = after five years of use they begin to fail with the aggressive condensation climate present in cars and corrosion on the motherboards sets in.

good for you sir,, I drive a '63 vehicle myself.:thumb:

How I wish I’d stuck with the 300 Land Rover instead of splurging near 28K on an electronic TD5.
Beetle, Nice classic car to choose.
We used to use those engines in our autogyros many years ago, too under powered for gyros really.
Regards,Ken.

I am with ADAC (German AA) they are great at helping and use the AA as a partner in the UK.
Deffo had my monies worth out of them when I had an all electronic???? VW Phaeton.

Let's see pictures. I have a 71 bay. Great fun but I wouldn't drive it all year round.
1a152686bca6ad395299ce2bead888cc.jpg

I am not a huge beetle fan but respect the large following they have. Glad to hear you are happy with it. I can imagine how good you felt driving back from the docks thinking how little your car running cost will be going forward.

I am not sure how many years it need to be for a classic but my car is 20 years old this year...... Everything still works as it should or near enough. It makes me smile how good it is despite being dubbed a "hairdressers car"

Loved my Beetles. I had a 68 1200cc and a 71 1300cc. I remember having to keep the heaters on cold as the heat exchangers were rotted and you could gas yourself. I was only 17/18 so never worried about the cold.

What year did Beatles change from 6 volt to 12 volt? I had an early 6 volt Beatle and I remember the headlights being somewhat dim and the valve radio taking ages to warm up, the brakes would fail intermittently making driving exciting. I always put the brake failure down to brake fade, ( drum brakes on all 4 wheels).

Does anyone remember cars having a warning sticker on the back, " CAUTION DISC BRAKES "

Back