Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I bulk clean cases?

How can I bulk clean cases?

I've got hold of some lapua .243 brass.. Around 500 cases, some are bright and shiny and others are going green.. Is there a way that I can bulk clean them before decapping and resizing? I dont use a tumbler, just an ultrasonic cleaner.. Which I don't think will remove oxidisation and even if it did, it would take ages..

Just borrow a tumbler?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Stick em in a pillow case and stuff em in the washing machine. Sorted.

Brasso, a polishing wheel, Mariella Frostrup on Radio 4 and a rainy afternoon. you'll get them done in no time.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Wonder if anyone wants to buy any lap .243 brass?!?

I'm hoping for a rainy day and the missus to not miss a pillowcase!

Ask your local brickie if you can use his mixer for an hour, stick em in with a shovel full of dry building sand!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Ask your local brickie if you can use his mixer for an hour, stick em in with a shovel full of dry building sand!
    How about some Wonder Wheels from Halfords, not tried it but I think its Hydrochloric acid so shhould take a couple of layers off! May only get one use out of them before they split though

Well if you only have Ultrasonic, best bet is decap without sizing then clean them in white vinegar 50/50 with water then neutralise in water with bicarbonate of soda heaped teaspoon to 1L water.

There's a laboratory cleaner called Micro. It is superb! Dilute it about 1:200 with tap water & it'll clean cases extremely well - especially if heated to near boiling point.
    First I knock out the primers & rough clean the primer pockets. Then dump all the cases into a plastic drum pour in the scalding hot Micro solution & agitate well for a couple of minutes. Pour off the cleaner (bottle it for reuse - many times!) & rinse the cases first in cold water & then scalding hot water to help them dry & bingo bright shiny cases. ready for final polish tumbling if you're a perfectionist. Clean cases don't dirty your sizing dies - an added bonus!
    Micro used to be sold by Fultons at Bisley - I've had mine for ages a half litre bottle lasts years because the solution can be reused.

Whereabouts in N Yorks are you? I'll run them through my tumbler if you can get them to Great Broughton.