African Swine Fever................. Peoples thoughts

Lateral

I've been hearing rumours for some time now, that this is likely to seriously effect boar shooting in Europe over the next few years. It's certainly a major concern to some of the people I speak to abroad.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...deadly-pig-disease-spreading-around-the-world

Because of this, I've gone a little crazy, and booked several trips for this season, trying to make sure I get my fix, just in case :scared:

Anyone else heard anything ?

I've been hearing rumours for some time now, that this is likely to seriously effect boar shooting in Europe over the next few years. It's certainly a major concern to some of the people I speak to abroad.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...deadly-pig-disease-spreading-around-the-world

Because of this, I've gone a little crazy, and booked several trips for this season, trying to make sure I get my fix, just in case :scared:

Anyone else heard anything ?
Won't get here after Brexit .:rofl:

Please be very diligent with disinfecting your kit before returning to the UK if the hunt is in the affected areas of eastern Europe.
A small risk but a risk nevertheless of being the ground zero person starting it off here, it is a virus with no known treatment except culling.
Denmark is building a Trump wall along the Flensburg German border area due to their bacon exports. It is not nearer than 400 km east from bavaria and they have got the shiites already.

Please be very diligent with disinfecting your kit before returning to the UK if the hunt is in the affected areas of eastern Europe.
A small risk but a risk nevertheless of being the ground zero person starting it off here, it is a virus with no known treatment except culling.
Denmark is building a Trump wall along the Flensburg German border area due to their bacon exports. It is not nearer than 400 km east from bavaria and they have got the shiites already.

As you say BB the government here is so worried about it that they are building a 70km long 1.5m high fence along the entire border to try and stop it. I saw something the other day that it had been found in Belgium. If that is the case it has made a huge leap. I also agree with you that anyone hunting in areas where it is found should be very careful with cleaning and disinfection. The Belgium boar found with it can't have migrated that distance so there must have been a human influence.

As above, The Baltic states have a lot of cases of ASF. as do parts of Poland. ASF is a very infectious disease. So disinfection of all hunting gear, and if you drive, your car with Vircon S is a must. My self, I would not even contemplate hunting in the Baltic states at the moment.

There is a lot of info on the tube ref this but mainly in German. So my take from studying them is :- The main vector is believed by health officials to be the thousands of eastern truck drivers bringing with them sarnies containing infected salami etc with them and throwing them out half eaten or stale at laybys where then a local healthy boar smells the food and gets the virus then it begins to spread it by simply dying very quickly (horrible death btw) in the forest so that other boar see more food to chomp onto. It is a bit like how aids got moved around the world so fast, not that boar are gay!!

As you say BB the government here is so worried about it that they are building a 70km long 1.5m high fence along the entire border to try and stop it. I saw something the other day that it had been found in Belgium. If that is the case it has made a huge leap. I also agree with you that anyone hunting in areas where it is found should be very careful with cleaning and disinfection. The Belgium boar found with it can't have migrated that distance so there must have been a human influence.

I hope the fence is also 1.5m deep, or they're wasting their time.

Novice

I hope the fence is also 1.5m deep, or they're wasting their time.

Novice

No it will only be buried 0.5m deep so lets hope they don't dig deeper than that. It has also been pointed out that they are quite good swimmers so the fjord at Flensburg isn't going to be a barrier. It won't stop the livestock trucks that haven't been properly disinfected either.

There is a lot of info on the tube ref this but mainly in German. So my take from studying them is :- The main vector is believed by health officials to be the thousands of eastern truck drivers bringing with them sarnies containing infected salami etc with them and throwing them out half eaten or stale at laybys where then a local healthy boar smells the food and gets the virus then it begins to spread it by simply dying very quickly (horrible death btw) in the forest so that other boar see more food to chomp onto. It is a bit like how aids got moved around the world so fast, not that boar are gay!!
That's exactly what I was told in Poland, its worker traveling twixt the vector countries and others.
The only thing that can stop it now is nature!

Any cases registered round Torgau area?
None in Germany yet.
Here is a google translate of the latest news.
Belgium has now got it.
HMM!!! The UK is not far away.

Latest news on African swine fever (ASP)

African swine fever (ASP) continues to spread in the wild boar populations of many regions of Eastern Europe (Hungary, Poland, the Baltic, Moldova, Romania and the Czech Republic, Belarus, the Russian Federation, Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan). Belgium is now also affected (see below). In many cases domestic pigs were also infected with ASP. African swine fever has been around for decades on the Italian island of Sardinia.

Particularly noteworthy current developments of the ASP event are:

Belgium: On 13.09.2018, the first case of ASP was reported in three wild boars found dead and one boar ill in the vicinity of Buzenol, municipality of Etalle, Wallonia region. A disease area of ​​approx. 630 sq km was established. In this area, initially a hunting and feeding ban for wild boar and restraining bans for the forest was ordered. Further measures for domestic and wild boars were ordered. In the 38th calendar week, three more dead and one shot wild boar from the affected forest area were tested positive for ASP.

Romania: In the southeast of the country, near the border with Ukraine (Tulcea region, Danube Delta), occurred in the period from 10.06. until 08.09.2018 over 800 ASP outbreaks in pig farms. The region is characterized by a very high density of backyard farms, which are mainly affected by the ASP. In two cases, the disease has spread to commercial farms and an outbreak has been detected in a slaughterhouse. The event has already spread to the neighboring regions of Braila and Constanta. Since large areas of the Danube Delta are located in a biosphere reserve where hunting is prohibited, the ASP situation in wild boar population is currently not clear. However, it was already reported on 29.05.2018 on isolated ASP evidence in wild boar in this region.
The existing since 31.07.2017 ASP events in the northwest of the country (regions Satu-Mare and Bihor) has continued this year.

Hungary: On 23.04.2018, Hungary reported the detection of ASP at a wild boar found dead on 19.04.2018 near the town of Gyöngyös (Heves county, Northern Hungary). Since the site is located about 200 km from the border with Ukraine, the Hungarian authorities currently assume that, as in the Czech Republic, it is an entry for virus-containing foods. An endangered area has been established, which covers the entire north of the European route E71 located part of the county Heves. A high-risk zone has been set up. This is to be fenced with an electric fence. On 14.05.2018, a wild boar that had died of ASP was found on the border with Ukraine (Saboltsch-Sathmar-Berg county, northeastern Hungary). In the new outbreak area, an endangered area and a high-risk zone were also established.
You can find an interactive map of the Hungarian authorities problem zones here afrikai sertéspestissel kapcsolatos intézkedések

Poland: On 17/11/2017, Poland from the province of Mazovia announced an ASP jump of about 100 km to the west. The outbreak has spread in a short space and covers at least 6 districts (Legionowski, Piaseczynski, Warsaw West, Nowodworski, Wolominski and Otwocki) and the city of Warsaw. On 16.05.2018, in this outbreak, a first case of domestic pigs was found in a stock of 28 pigs (Nowodworski district). Also at the end of 2017, the ASP reached the Russian province of Kaliningrad. As a result, the infection occurred on 23.12.2017 on the Polish side of the border with the Russian exclave in the Warmia-Masuria Voivodeship. This has created another source of infection in Poland with the potential for Western spread of ASP in wild boar populations. Also in the area of ​​the border triangle Poland-Belarus-Ukraine, a large number of outbreaks of ASP in wild boar have come this year.

Czech Republic: The first case of wild boar ASP in the Czech Republic was reported on 27.06.2017 to the International Office of Epizootics (OIE). The city of Zlin is located in the east of the country, near the border with Slovakia. Probably the infection was introduced by food waste from the Ukraine. On 03.01.2018, the Czech authorities announced that between 27.12.2017 and 26.01.2018 a total of 11 ASP positive wild boars had been found in an area south of the core or high-risk zone established there. The core zone was then expanded in February to the newly infested areas. Since 01.02.2018 (as of 21.05.2018), another 12 ASP infected wild boars have been found in the core zone. Since mid-April 2018, no further ASP-positive boars have been found. In Czech domestic pig herds, no outbreak of ASP has so far been detected.

If it has found its way to Belgium then it will very quickly find its way to the rest of Europe. I doubt the pyrenees will stop it from getting to the Iberian peninsula.

The UK authorities and pig industry are already pushing very hard to use ASF as reason to intensify culling of uk boar, especially in FoD.

Back