Oversuit for highseats?

Hell Toupee

Hi All,

Looking to see if anyone knows of any thermal/waterproof all in one oversuits that are suitable for highseat use? The stalking I have is often very steep on approach to a seat, so need to stalk in relatively lightweight kit, but with the winter drawing in , within an hour it gets properly cold, especially with a bit of drizzle.
I'd like a suit that you can get into, get into your seat and wait, but then just take off again before carrying on stalking etc.

In the USA there seem to be several (e.g. The Heater Body Suit | #1 In Cold Weather Hunting Gear) but struggling to find anything in the uk?

Thanks,

HT

I just layer-up, and add and remove as necessary. The land I stalk over is of such varied terrain that you can be faced with a near-vertical climb one minute, and a mile of forestry track the next, before getting to a box or high seat. Tell you something though, if a lightweight under-suit exists that's battery-powered I'd buy one in a heartbeat! I wonder if anything like that exists for motorcyclists or the like? :-|

Edit: Thermalution Heated Undersuit -15M (Shortsleeve)

I would have though fishermen use exactly what you describe and probably cheaper than hunting specific gear. Or check out Askari hunting.co.uk as they sell full thermal suits quite cheap, some warm and silent but not waterproof and others a bit noisier but waterproof too.

I take a lightweight down jacket that stuffs up very small. I can wear that over my harkila jacket.

But then I have walls and a roof on my high seats to keep the wind and the rain out.

I think you need some sportcheif bib and braces , ideal for high seat in winter , I think there is a belting set in the classified section , waterproof aswell !!!

I think I’ve seen “dew liners” recommend on here before, lm led to believe they are some kind of suit issued to the armed forces, I’m sure someone will know more.

Have you considered a poncho of some kind, or a Jerven bag, which are tremendous bits of kit.

+1 for a good down jacket (check it's ethically sourced down - live plucking of birds still occurs!!) - packs down small and very warm. Generally not waterproof but mine goes on under my stalking jacket once I arrive at the seat. Other options include the kind of kit coarse fishermen use for their overnight / winter fishing or heater vests (several options for motorcycling and even surfing I think).

+1 for a good down jacket (check it's ethically sourced down - live plucking of birds still occurs!!) - packs down small and very warm. Generally not waterproof but mine goes on under my stalking jacket once I arrive at the seat. Other options include the kind of kit coarse fishermen use for their overnight / winter fishing or heater vests (several options for motorcycling and even surfing I think).

+ 1

If I got time and I'm freezing I'll stick it under the harkila if walking in the rain. As long as it doesn't get wet they are great. The Kuiu has the polish down jackets which can take rain and not loose a lot of their thermal properties but I suggest they might be too thick and we are talking about layers, off when you are walking and on when you are sitting.

The van that comes round my mates garage sells fleece jackets that have a battery operated heating element through it.

I use a snugpak softie elite smock next to bare skin, works a charm & comes with a hood that's lined also. If it gets too cold (which isn't often in the snugpak) then I layer up with a HH underneath and a camo smock on top...flask of coffee and I'm as toastie as a pig in brown stuff :)

Tell you something though, if a lightweight under-suit exists that's battery-powered I'd buy one in a heartbeat! I wonder if anything like that exists for motorcyclists or the like? :-|

And if you could leave the battery with a solar charger at the high seat..............

Try an Ansitzsac. I have a hubertus one - a little heavy, the Corinthia one from Frankonia is lighter. They are just the job for sitting in a seat in the cold and Keep you nice and toasty warm.

Back