Doe season for Roe

6pointer

It is only days away till the Roe Does start in scotland and while i get my self ready i wounder some times if the kids are ready still small very dependant and will little about them whats your policy.
6-10-2010008Doeandbuckkid.jpg

6P, I do not have many roe on my bits of ground and am very selective about what I do shoot. I tend to leave them until January, just because I think the youngsters will have a better chance of survival. I am afraid the fallow get different treatment as I am there to cull them for protection of income.

ft

start with the young does but not if they are too young, some are further on than others. i try to leave my breading stock. ive seen a few young now and im looking forward to the season.

You should be looking and recce'ying your ground regularly now looking to identify Barren Does [i.e. does without kids] but you will need to look long and hard to be sure of these. Look at the young and think about taking only the doe kids before xmas [my policy is not to shoot mature or old mothers before xmas, it gives the youngsters a better start in my opinion]. Also remember during the season always look for the anal tushe and penile sheaf to differetiate and clear identification dont just look at the head;). And enjoy, its a wonderful time of the year.

Last edited:
You should be looking and recce'ying your ground regularly now looking to identify Barren Does [i.e. does without kids] but you will need to look long and hard to be sure of these. Look at the young and think about taking only the doe kids before xmas [my policy is not to shoot mature or old mothers before xmas, it gives the youngsters a better start in my opinion]. Also remember young bucks shed their antlers first so always look for the anal tushe and penile sheaf for clear identification dont just look at the head;). And enjoy, its a wonderful time of the year.

Is that so?

You should be looking and recce'ying your ground regularly now looking to identify Barren Does [i.e. does without kids] but you will need to look long and hard to be sure of these. Look at the young and think about taking only the doe kids before xmas [my policy is not to shoot mature or old mothers before xmas, it gives the youngsters a better start in my opinion]. Also remember young bucks shed their antlers first so always look for the anal tushe and penile sheaf for clear identification dont just look at the head;). And enjoy, its a wonderful time of the year.

I'd have a wee look at some continual personal development on the roe deer subject or correct you comments ? typing error within your posting young buck mmmmmmmmmm:doh::doh:

Point of view If you have to think that the kids are too small due to having been late entries leave them ,your only removing your own sport .

As soon as you think along those lines, those impressions are usually correct, it all comes down to experience at the end of the day you can only get that experience when you have deer on the ground think first !

Ok first of all on most of my ground there is no need to slaughter great amounts of deer and i have now shot enough deer to know that i can look assess and decide what to do go back next time or the next and take out what i want .So first off i look for does that i concider crap old ones ,The one kid type or if any are carrying a leg etc.Then i look at the kids and if there is a buck kid it gets the good new,s ,i leave the doe with one doe kid if possible to bring on if it is twin buck kids i take the smallest. Its my way of improving stock and increaseing the number slowly. BIg bucks drop first always check

eightdeerendoftheseason.jpg

Last edited:
I'd have a wee look at some continual personal development on the roe deer subject or correct you comments ? typing error within your posting young buck mmmmmmmmmm:doh::doh:

Point of view If you have to think that the kids are too small due to having been late entries leave them ,your only removing your own sport .

As soon as you think along those lines, those impressions are usually correct, it all comes down to experience at the end of the day you can only get that experience when you have deer on the ground think first !

Sorry fellas it was clearly a typo sh*t knows what I was thinking.

Updated now

I loosed the Taxen off for roe hunting last Sunday He hunted a doe and 2 fawns. Could not get a shot though. I will only be shooting fawns, bucks. and does on there own up to the middle of December then i will shoot them as they come.

www.prokennel.se

Guys,

If I'm "hungry" then I'll take the first Doe with two followers. Meat in freezer and three of the 12 "Doe" that the landlord requires. 25% done. Can't count buck followers toward the 10 Buck requirement.

Not an exact cull plan but landlord wants 10 Roe taken in April - Oct and 12 taken Nov - Mar. This in Scotland and a minimum

Stan.

Back