High seat time filler.

Tamus

OK, before anyone shouts, I can't find the answer to this in the old threads either.

So, DON'T read on if it pisces you off....

What do you guys (and/or guyesses, how p.c. was that?) do to while away the hours in a high seat?

No rude replies please.:rolleyes:

Ipod nano with a half decent audio book every time ,If no its the big zzzzzzzzzzz within the hour .

Please don't take this as an insult but I'm not sure why anyone would need to be entertained...is not nature enough?

Look for deer? :confused:

+1, with a little nature watching while scanning with the bins. Can't understand anyone not listening for what's going on, my ears normally tell me when the deer are about before I see them. Foxes, badgers, pheasants, goldfinches, stoats, weasels, bramblings, woodpeckers, owls etc etc. all there to be observed and enjoyed.

Please don't take this as an insult but I'm not sure why anyone would need to be entertained...is not nature enough?

I agree but like widows son, after an hour or two, if I'm comfy I start to doze off. I then find myself shifting about more than I think I should to "snap out of it".

The I-pod and music don't help me much either, but maybe an audio book might be a good alternative.

Someone had a thread recently about imagining things to be deer, which weren't. On the flip side of that, don't you just love that "where the hell did you come from" moment?

+1, with a little nature watching while scanning with the bins. Can't understand anyone not listening for what's going on, my ears normally tell me when the deer are about before I see them. Foxes, badgers, pheasants, goldfinches, stoats, weasels, bramblings, woodpeckers, owls etc etc. all there to be observed and enjoyed.

I get that. Maybe I'm spoiled, or perhaps inured is the word, living in the countryside means I get wild-life around me ALL the time. Not that it bores me at all but maybe I get slightly complacent about it, after a few hours lookng at the same scenery.

in a high seat i enjoy watching the scenery and wildlife around me...i need nothing else.....if i get tired then its time to go home as falling asleep with a loaded rifle in hand is not a good idea especially up a high seat..:scared:

Tits

So many different species each quite distinct from the other. I try to count as many different tit species as I can.

Good idea... :D Sadly I rarely see many in the spruce woods. Do you get much Scolopax rusticola with your tits?

in a high seat i enjoy watching the scenery and wildlife around me...i need nothing else.....if i get tired then its time to go home as falling asleep with a loaded rifle in hand is not a good idea especially up a high seat..:scared:

Trust me it happens all too often all over the world .So if you all getting that worried about such things happening stay at home, enjoy your comforts there ,if not get out and live a little you just might enjoy life far more than you do .

I learned after laying in hospital for two and a half years with Cancer and its problems to live life as if it is your last day, you only get one shot at this ,so forget all the what ifs and the mights and maybes and live thats what your here for is it not .

That doesn't mean be reckless.

Like everyone else on here Ive seen all sorts from Owls landing in the barrel of the rifle and all the usual suspects even a Roe buck cleaning velvet in the A frame of the legs of the high seat .

Using something to keep your mind alert helps when your about yourself you see far more ,

I play the stump/deer game. Method: get into the high seat and identify all stumps, lumps, hummocks, rocks etc within range. Then wait for bit. Look round and you can guarantee that the items you clearly identified just a bit earlier look sufficiently like a deer to have to look at them with the glasses just to make sure. Look the other way and repeat.....:doh:

Well I was writing my journal. Normally in a high seat here in the UK I am only in it for a few hours but on the Trip to the USA opening day I was told you sit it the seat all day so I took a note book and wrote about the trip the planning and what I saw. It used up the quiet times quite well and meant i didn't forget stuff.

First of all i dont load my rifle in the high seat should have plenty of time to organise shot and always feel that if the **** hit the fan and the strap broke etc then it might go off.Safty catches not that reliable when you see a gun stripped down. With regards what do i do up a high seat i just watch for a deer normally dont need anything else i can sit for 4 hours easy and just lean over to **** got to watch i dont pee down my breeks when i do it i have a special technic

I usually end up dozing off in the large wooden high seats , and have'nt managed to shoot myself yet! . I always manage to come round at the right moment. However if I do miss deer due to my dozing , then I'm not going to know anyway. So far I haven't missed any:D

Trust me it happens all too often all over the world .So if you all getting that worried about such things happening stay at home, enjoy your comforts there ,if not get out and live a little you just might enjoy life far more than you do .

I learned after laying in hospital for two and a half years with Cancer and its problems to live life as if it is your last day, you only get one shot at this ,so forget all the what ifs and the mights and maybes and live thats what your here for is it not .

That doesn't mean be reckless.

Like everyone else on here Ive seen all sorts from Owls landing in the barrel of the rifle and all the usual suspects even a Roe buck cleaning velvet in the A frame of the legs of the high seat .

Using something to keep your mind alert helps when your about yourself you see far more ,
nice to see your on the mend now and enjoying life WS, you are correct in what you say..if i get worried about falling to sleep then i do go home i NEVER use aids to help me stay awake! and i enjoy life to the full..having this fear of hurting someone or myself is very healthy and its kept people around me and myself safe for years whether stalking or at work.....just the other week a driver for the firm ime working for at the moment had a mishap (or should that be catnap!!) straight over a roundabout (big type with soil etc!!) across grass,through garden..and at 0330 44 tonnes went into a house at 50mph!! no one killed:eek: and so ime sure no one wants me or anyone else to be in charge of a loaded rifle or truck etc when tired and using something to keep themselves awake!!

I tend to relieve my self before getting to the high seat, sounds a bit strange to leave a scent in place you have just stalked everso carefully to, in a bid to remain undetected.

Back