Rifle parts, which order?

User00003

Alrighty!

Say I wanted to build a rifle (theoretically), or at least start accumulating some parts with the view of building (or having a gunsmith) build it for me - where do you start? Action first, then Stock (is the stock dependant on the action and trigger), then barrell? is the barrell fit dependent on the action and stock?

Please explain!

I would have thougt the action is the right place to start as they principally dictate how the rifle is put together etc. Style and type of action is very important to the overall look, feel and ultimate function of the end rifle - are you after a traditional British stalking rifle aka Rigby / Westly Richards - (have a look at Haygarth guns) or are you after a much more modern type rifle cf Precision Rifles etc.

Ready inlet stocks - especially synthetic stocks are very much machined to a particular action as each is very different - Tikka flat bottomed as oposed to Rem M 700 which is basically a tube. But if you are going for a wood stock, most stock blanks can be shaped into a stock that will fit most actions.

Ok, let's go a step further then - we'll start at the action. If I was wanting a .308 to fit into a Macmillan synthetic stock,,what action would be best - anyone tried Surgeon? still unsure about how the trigger/barrell then starts to fit in, if I buy a .308 surgeon action for example, and a Jewell trigger to match, will those components fit into the Macmillan stock, and will I be able to get a barrell to fit this setup, say from Border Barrells?

My own opinion (and ive built a few rifles)

Choose the action first - be that custom, donor or your own.

From there the choice of stock will be determined - some actions have a multitude of stocks available (Remington and their "clones" - BAT, Surgeon, Stiller, Barnard, Pierce, Lawton, Nesika, GBR, SYSS etc etc etc) and others have a more limited choice - Sako, Tikka - less choice than previously mentioned.

Trigger needs decision - factory or custom (if available)

Barrel - Stainless, Chromoly - blued finish or coated, vapour blasted, bead blasted or naked, profile, length decision made.

You will also be presented with chambering questions - standard SAMI spec or fitted neck, custom throat for specific bullet or compromise "do all", at this time a choice of muzzle thread, crown and caps may be decided.

In mid type, ive noticed you are thinking of Surgeon - ive built several using this action and have my own - they are excellent as a base to build a highly accurate and rugged stalking rifle.

Probably (possibly) the most satisfying way of having a rifle built, your choices should be made in discussion with the riflesmith and made a pleasant experience with a lovely end result to cherish for a long time.

Ok, let's go a step further then - we'll start at the action. If I was wanting a .308 to fit into a Macmillan synthetic stock,,what action would be best - anyone tried Surgeon? still unsure about how the trigger/barrell then starts to fit in, if I buy a .308 surgeon action for example, and a Jewell trigger to match, will those components fit into the Macmillan stock, and will I be able to get a barrell to fit this setup, say from Border Barrells?

Yes for the stock fit.

Yes re the barrel.

Interesting lads, I have been down this road to the extent of a build on a Sako action.

Redmist, would you specifically recommend a Surgeon for a stalking rifle or a fox rifle? I saw a rifle recently (260rem funnily enough) which was built on a Borden Alpine action. I have to say I was pretty impressed.

Thinking of having a 22/250 done to match my 260. I had intended to do this on a Sako 75, but the Borden has got me thinking....

Another friend has a 260 on a Lawton which is excellent, but it does not top feed very well which is a must for a hunting rifle I think.

What does the panel think of the various Rem clone actions and how suitable are the various brands for a rifle which will actually be used in the field, get muddy and dirty etc?

PKL - If you look at my gallery, you will see a Borders Barrel on the .243. When I had this work done a couple of years ago, Border Barrels had Surgeon actions in stock. If you have a project in mind, take a drive down and see them. From the conversations I have had with them, they would source all the bits you list and build a quality rifle (at a price). For more info, come round and see me, or catch me at one of the BDS branch meetings.

BDS Region - South East Scotland

Rgds JCS

Last edited:
Brian

the various Rem clones should not really be in the same class as the factory Rem 700 (in terms of quality, finish, performance)

The only similarity is they will fit most stocks inletted for the Remington 700 action.

I think ive built a good few on Surgeon actions for stalking / fox and tactical competition.

There hasnt been any issues with any of them and the ones built for competition have taken top three places in gruelling events in Hungary and the Czech Republic.

The rifles built specifically for stalking / fox all shot sub half MOA with factory ammo (where available) and circa 1/3 to 1/4 MOA with homeloads. (260 Rem, 260 Rem AI, 6.5x47's, 308's)

The Surgeon differs to other "clone" actions in that it has integral recoil lug and integral rail machined into the action.

This allows a longer barrel tenon and stiffer action frame - you wont break one.

The bolt is machined from solid billet and is fluted as standard.

All parts from a 700 are interchangable in the unlikely event of a break (for sake of argument an ejector spring of firing pin spring)

The only thing with the Surgeon action is it comes in the white, so has to be coated (Duracoat / Cerrakote etc) or Blued

I really like them, as a work horse and precision "scalpel", you wont find much better.

They accept all Rem compatible mags / bottom metal by the way - HS Precision / AI/ BDL systems etc, etc , etc

There are prettier actions around (the Borden Alpine, BAT RS, for example) either of these would be just as suitable

Redmist

Do you know of any sources of a good synthetic stock for a Tikka (M55) action?

Andrew

I think most of what has gone before covers what needs to be thought about. Perhaps some other things to consider:

- choosing a Remy clone action has a big advantage as the amount of parts on the market is huge.
- the GBR action mentioned in an earlier post is UK made so there is a reduced lead time and no exchange rate fluctuations to worry about....and is rather lovely (personal experience)
- Think about what bullet you'll be mostly shooting and select a twist rate most appropriate to that bullet/weight.
- if it's a rifle for stalking think carefully about a trigger - some can be dangerously light if designed for F/TR class use and do not adjust up that greatly.

Hope that helps.

This is dragging up an old thread sorry but just searching round.
If you are looking at a custom build and find an action then surely the next step would be find the barrel and then the stock as the stock will be inletted to a specific contour of barrel?

Back