Trophy Weights

Peter Eaton

Can anyone shed any light on a ball part figure of a Roe skull and antlers (minus lower jaw of course) in order for it to make either bronze, silver or gold. I realise there more factors invloved but for example would a 500 gram head be near to bronze , there must be a rough weight guideline?

Pete

There is a very rough guideline which was once given to me by one of the judges.
Total weight and minus 90 grams if not jaw cut.
over 365 > Bronze.
over 420 > Silver.
over 500 > Gold.
MS:)

495 - 90 = 405 = Good Bronze!
There are other factors though and it is a rough guide so it might make silver if you are lucky.

I take it if it weighs in at 500grms it will make bronze never had one not do at that weight 550 grms will be a close silver and 600 will make gold.

They can vary dramatically and the volume can be a big reason for that.Before i score mine,i roughly add on about 8 points more for volume than a dry weight.So,if the head weighed 500g,take off the 90 deduction giving you 410g which equals 41 points for dry weight.I would then add 8 points giving it 49 for volume.Its far from exact but it gives me a figure before i measure it correctly.If your head was the 500g,with a decent length of around the 9 inch mark with a good span and average beauty points,then it should be very close to a silver,and the very least a very good bronze.

Here is a good formula I saw posted on another forum a while back.

500g - 20 x 0.23 = 110.40 cic.

If the head is regular it works out very close every time.

Mark.

Thanks for that...it gives me an idea as I have an uncut head which is 495 and wondered if it was worth getting scored

Cheers

pete

Yes, get it done by the CIC panel.
I had one measured at the Midland Game Fair by the CIC for an Irish guest. It weighed 500 gramms.
It was shot at the end of April and was a narrow head which got no points for `inside span`, colour was mediocre and only received 2 points. Final score was 108.55 CIC points. [Bronze]
There is a statutory drying out period of 90 days required also.
The CIC medals are huge.

HWH.

I hope it dose it for you mate and the silver is the easiest to gain up my way they are every were its the golds that take some getting.

Could someone explain jaw cut to me please.
I have never weighed or measured any heads I have shot and so for interest weighed one I shot last week.
It is the skull and antler minus the bottom jaw all cleaned of flesh etc and weighs 443g.

Could someone explain jaw cut to me please.
I have never weighed or measured any heads I have shot and so for interest weighed one I shot last week.
It is the skull and antler minus the bottom jaw all cleaned of flesh etc and weighs 443g.

It is basically cutting the upper jaw off so that it can be plaque mounted easier.
It is more commonly referred to as either a long or short 'nose cut' though. Best practice guidelines have a bit about it here:
http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/downloads/carcass_trophy.pdf
If you do have a possible trophy head though, you will generally score much better by leaving the skull intact as the 90 gram deduction is fairly excessive! ;)

Any pictures of these trophies out of interest to see pearling span colouration ...

ATB

Ours which made 108.55 [Bronze] recently.
Front view showing lack of inside span.
HWH.

1MEDALROEHEADplus2common005.jpg

Side view of same head showing poor brow tines, poor colour and mediocre pearling.
The weight was a great help !
DO NOT CUT A SCULL PRIOR TO MEASUREMENT !
HWH.

1MEDALROEHEADplus2common006.jpg

Back