Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rifle slings

Question rifle slings

Have been looking at various three part rifle slings as the usual type tends to slide off my shoulder. The Z aim seems to be the most likely to suit but there have been comments critisizing that part of the sling which goes round the pistol grip as apparently it can interfere with the grip and sometimes get jammed under the bolt- does this in practice create a problem and, if so, cannot the relevant part of the sling be attached to the sling swivel on the underside of the butt instead of going round the pistol grip? - There is probably an obvious flaw in my suggestion which perhaps the more experienced on the site would kindly point out.

Quote Originally Posted by keith rippin View Post
    Have been looking at various three part rifle slings as the usual type tends to slide off my shoulder. The Z aim seems to be the most likely to suit but there have been comments critisizing that part of the sling which goes round the pistol grip as apparently it can interfere with the grip and sometimes get jammed under the bolt- does this in practice create a problem and, if so, cannot the relevant part of the sling be attached to the sling swivel on the underside of the butt instead of going round the pistol grip? - There is probably an obvious flaw in my suggestion which perhaps the more experienced on the site would kindly point out.
    I used a Z aim sling for a short while myself and did encounter both the problems you've mentioned, especially the loop getting jammed under the bolt. It could be worth trying to mount it the rear stud. Personally I bought an Allen rifle sling with the 'grippy' rubber shoulder pad and now have one on all my rifles as it makes carrying even a heavy rifle easy work as it doesn't slip at all.

For a normal sling you wont get better than quake claw , pretty much stays where its put

+1 on the claw tried the z aim didn't get on with it the claw sticks like s""t to the shoulder
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    For a normal sling you wont get better than quake claw , pretty much stays where its put

Install a sling retaining detail on the shoulder of your shooting jackets. These can be made from stacked fabric, leather or even an antela off cut. The key consideration is getting the positioning right prior to stitching so have someone on hand to pin it in place as you find the sweet spot with rifle at the shoulder. I find its higher than you imagine for max slip-free comfort. Be generous with the hight of whatever you use.

Something like this is the ideal but remember to use a corresponding peice of wide leather beneath to limit stress on garment fabric:

Last edited by Klenchblaize; 11-10-2018 at 20:19.
    KAHLES PRO STALKER

I'v Got an old mk 1 Camo , they put a stud to help with sling slip , coat makers don't do it nowdays

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    I'v Got an old mk 1 Camo , they put a stud to help with sling slip , coat makers don't do it nowdays
    Little call for it amongst the DPM-wearing rough sleeper community!
    KAHLES PRO STALKER

I had a Z Aim which I thought was rubbish! Very flimsy and wore through the straps in about a year of use.
    I also rate the Quake Claw! Very comfy, strong, and doesn't slip!
    MS

Get a sling made up with an Equus type rubber rein grip, had one on my rifle the last ten years, never slips in anY position, until you take the tension off it; otoh, carried a guest's rifle the other day, neoprene wide sling - couldn't get the rifle to stay anywhere, absolute pita.

Always found sleeping under the stars quite nice myself , also had another dpm smock that had a hook on the left arm for work
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Little call for it amongst the DPM-wearing rough sleeper community!