Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which are your go-to gunsmiths/retail stores?

Edinburgh Rifles, Game & Country & Bisley at Braidwood

Simpson Bros near Oundle or Norman Clarke (for rifle work) Rugby.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

This is a real bug bear of mine with so many shops I visit failing in some regard. Firstly, I point blank refuse to visit places that are rude but I also hate places where you walk in and some locals who have no life are sat there daily with a mug of tea chatting to the owners and despite walking in with your wallet open, nobody gives you much help. They are all too busy talking about shooting rather than actually being out doing it.

Knowledge is also key. You know the places you walk in to with a problem with a rifle (a gun you know inside out) that has a problem and the stock answer from the "expert" is "give it a clean, the gun will be fine"

Then there are places where they have plenty of knowledge (sometimes too much) and lots of stock with everything you need but they are so bloody disorganised that it takes an age to sort anything out. You might have to go back and if a small problem arises, despite being perfectly able to sort it out, they just ummm and ahhh and fart about. Cannot be bothered with them either.

You want availability of stock, prompt yet polite service, reasonable prices and quality knowledge in terms of all rifles, all stock, all maintenance and rifle work. As yet, Normal Clarke is the only place I have been that reliably always ticks those boxes. Never once have they let me down. Good on the phone, they put stuff by for you, they have lots of knowledge without being patronising. Many places could learn from them. It is a shame they are not slightly closer but the 70 mile round trip is always worth it.

I’m based in Sussex I can pretty much source anything. One of the main reasons I set up was I’m fed up of twats talking to me like I’m a retard trying to sell me tat and generally not giving good customer service. Anyone needing anything shooting related let me know. Of the big boys I like Swillingtons and mcloeds both Gregor and Chris chapman are 2 of the good guys!

I have always had nothing but superb service from Optics Warehouse. Not sure if they would stock bipod and accessories (they do sell picatinny bits etc) but they're always really helpful on the phone, have a great (and up to date) web site and postage is always next day.

I didn't think of Optics Warehouse, I was thinking of actual gunsmiths but agreed that they are very good, friendly and helpful. They never blink if you need to send something back and there is a reason why I have spent waaaaay too much money with them over the years

Francis Lovell at Witney , always very helpful.

Forest Lodge Guns in Wragby Lincolnshire, they don't trade via their web site, they like to meet and chat to customers. They carry a huge amount of stock and will happily order items specially without pushing you to buy what's in stock.

Now the 3rd generation helping in what is a friendly family business. Prices are always very good as well, perhaps that comes with nearly 30 years custom.

Gilsan Sports, near scotch corner in Yorkshire.
    Great service and unbeatable prices in big new purpose built premises.

I'm in Sussex too (East) and we do have a few to choose from.

IMHO FA Anderson in East Grinstead is excellent with great customer service and a good range of gear(especially if you reload)...I'll be driving up there tomorrow. CH Weston is very good too but fairly small and a bit 'touristy' being close to the pier. Nice guys though. Theres a not very well known place in Hailsham called MFC Outdoors which has lots of airguns, knives, clothing and a few s/h guns. The only local one to me I wouldn't recommend (just through personal experience) is Chris Potters in Tunbridge Wells. You might be ok if you're turing up in a Land Rover with a lab and dressed in tweed but they've never been very welcoming to me (in jeans and a T shirt, but with to spend) in there.

Online, had happy dealings with Countryman of Derby and SGC...always found Bushier a little expensive.

Best gunshot Ive been in by a country mile is Fenland Rural Sports just outside Warboys/Huntingdon. RIDICULOUS range of guns and gear...wish I lived closer!