fallow rut

I’ve been watching the fallow in Petworth Park and they’re getting fairly noisy with some minor sparring between the lesser bucks.

ae1dc9d634d0d41a2f2e8341c0554bc8.jpg

Not heard anything in North Herts as yet.....but the foxes started coming in to the vixen domination/mating call late September so it must be getting close.

cheers

fizz

I grew up stalking in North Herts, I have been away along time now, but I still try and get back every year to sit with my dad for a fallow or a muntjac. Still my number one place to stalk!
Cheers k

I sat in a high seat last year on the 14th of October listening to Fallow Bucks grunting there heads off.
That same day I shot a well conditioned fallow pricket some 60 yards from the seat.
Today I sat in the same high seat 13th of October and accomplished an identical shot as last year.
Same position, distance and Deer type.
Not a grunt heard whilst sitting there in 20 degree heat for two hours.

Seems to be just starting in Kent, was out last night and there was a lovely big white Buck sleeping on his rutting stand, a treat to see so left him there peacefully.

I was out last night in East Sussex and shot a satellite buck which I think had been pushed off of a rutting stand because just before he appeared I heard a few grunts coming from the wood.
A good 30mins after I shot him there were a few sets grunting.
(He didn’t smell a all)

Very quite on my part of the Ashdown forest , heard a few grunts 2/3rd October but nothing since , my place at Ashhurst Wood was in full cry yesterday , managed a couple of prickets mid afternoon ..

Very quite on my part of the Ashdown forest , heard a few grunts 2/3rd October but nothing since , my place at Ashhurst Wood was in full cry yesterday , managed a couple of prickets mid afternoon ..

I have ground in Ashurst wood but quiet last week.
Will be taking my Mrs out tonight so hoping to see a few bucks and hear some action.

I have ground in Ashurst wood but quiet last week.
Will be taking my Mrs out tonight so hoping to see a few bucks and hear some action.
Was out this morning and they were going at it hammer and tongs ..accounted for a very poor headed three year old that went 135lb in the coldroom ..

A lot of noise coming from the wood about 1/2 mile from us. Lying in bed, I could clearly hear him/them as it was such a still night. Walking up a wild bird seed planted field between our house and the wood today on a warm-up shoot, we flushed a big melanistic buck with his harem of some 15 does who had been lying up in the white grass, enjoying the afternoon sun. I guess the same chap we had listened to last night.

For a reasonably well populated area for fallow where I go. I could only hear one Buck grunting some 500 yards away in a neighbouring wood late this afternoon.
He went silent after I shot a melanistic sorrel at 6.15pm. Still relatively warm 14/15 degrees.

Was out shooting yesterday evening, and the bucks were making a racket. The rut is definitely in full swing here in Brightling East Sussex.

Back