Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat your own shot venison

Eat your own shot venison

Does anyone know of any general arrangements with stalks where you can arrange to take home the meat of the beast you have shot?

There seems to be big emphasis on trophies, but to me eating the deer I have shot is more valuable...maybe it's the hunter gatherer in me!!

why dont you just ask if possible to take the carcass before you book or whilst enquiring? think alot of places normally offer gamedealer prices from what i have seen offered on SD, some even better prices.

totally agree tho ...for me its the freezer that takes priority and getting it filled!!! hehehehehee
    saying that ive been fortunate in my short stalking "hobby" to have taken asilver and bronze roe on my own permissions.

sauer

Most estates (with only a few exceptions) will et you buy the carcass at the going game dealer rate. A few even insist that you pay for the carcass if it's badly shot.

I agree with Sauer though, always ask before you sign up for anything.

I always go for the meat................. and can say that John of Yoorkshireroestalking is quite happy to do this. It's time to gather funds to go again as the freezer is gettnig a nit light.

you could do worse than give IanF a call, he is upfront with his prices and is not so far away from you.

Seconded for IanF, venison you shoot with him is avaliable at dealer rates and all discussed upfront, cracking setup he has too.

Plus my Roe was delicious...

I couldnt give a monkeys about this cic measuring malarky............If it has a good head fine...........if it has a bad head fine...........they will both taste the same and for me thats the important bit, getting the bugger in the slow cooker.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post
    I couldnt give a monkeys about this cic measuring malarky............If it has a good head fine...........if it has a bad head fine...........they will both taste the same and for me thats the important bit, getting the bugger in the slow cooker.
    I agree. Those "hunters" who grab the tape measure to see how big the horns on their kudu etc are only compensating for one thing! I love the butchery / cookery side to stalking almost as much as the stalk itself.

QUOTE=Cadex100;142693]I couldnt give a monkeys about this cic measuring malarky............If it has a good head fine...........if it has a bad head fine...........they will both taste the same and for me thats the important bit, getting the bugger in the slow cooker.[/QUOTE]

Plus 1 on this, although as yet I've not shot a Deer, but a Cull animal is no different to a Trophy animal, all meat for the freezer,
    An American mate of mine said to me, " You can't eat horns" so unless someones come up with a good recipe for "Horns"?

Brian

Thanks guys, will make some enquiries. Can nearly taste it now!!