Eat your own shot venison

Oly

Does anyone know of any general arrangements with stalks where you can arrange to take home the meat of the beast you have shot?

There seems to be big emphasis on trophies, but to me eating the deer I have shot is more valuable...maybe it's the hunter gatherer in me!!

why dont you just ask if possible to take the carcass before you book or whilst enquiring? think alot of places normally offer gamedealer prices from what i have seen offered on SD, some even better prices.

totally agree tho ...for me its the freezer that takes priority and getting it filled!!! hehehehehee
saying that ive been fortunate in my short stalking "hobby" to have taken asilver and bronze roe on my own permissions.

sauer

Most estates (with only a few exceptions) will et you buy the carcass at the going game dealer rate. A few even insist that you pay for the carcass if it's badly shot.

I agree with Sauer though, always ask before you sign up for anything.

I always go for the meat................. and can say that John of Yoorkshireroestalking is quite happy to do this. It's time to gather funds to go again as the freezer is gettnig a nit light.

you could do worse than give IanF a call, he is upfront with his prices and is not so far away from you.

Seconded for IanF, venison you shoot with him is avaliable at dealer rates and all discussed upfront, cracking setup he has too.

Plus my Roe was delicious...

I couldnt give a monkeys about this cic measuring malarky............If it has a good head fine...........if it has a bad head fine...........they will both taste the same and for me thats the important bit, getting the bugger in the slow cooker.

I couldnt give a monkeys about this cic measuring malarky............If it has a good head fine...........if it has a bad head fine...........they will both taste the same and for me thats the important bit, getting the bugger in the slow cooker.

I agree. Those "hunters" who grab the tape measure to see how big the horns on their kudu etc are only compensating for one thing! I love the butchery / cookery side to stalking almost as much as the stalk itself.

QUOTE=Cadex100;142693]I couldnt give a monkeys about this cic measuring malarky............If it has a good head fine...........if it has a bad head fine...........they will both taste the same and for me thats the important bit, getting the bugger in the slow cooker.[/QUOTE]

Plus 1 on this, although as yet I've not shot a Deer, but a Cull animal is no different to a Trophy animal, all meat for the freezer,
An American mate of mine said to me, " You can't eat horns" so unless someones come up with a good recipe for "Horns"?

Brian

Yep I agree
bang it all in the slow cooker and it will all taste the same~
nowt like being adventurous and flash frying a fallow fillet for sunday morning steakwhich, Just not sure one out of a musked up Buck quite hits the same mark
though :doh:

I agree. Those "hunters" who grab the tape measure to see how big the horns on their kudu etc are only compensating for one thing! I love the butchery / cookery side to stalking almost as much as the stalk itself.

What has shooting possibly a 60"+ Kudu in another country got to do with this post
don't they do meat hunters pakages abroad then for the locals then :confused:

Oly
If you are concerned about the higher prices of "Trophy's" then don't book stalking for Bucks/Stags ,
Better off booking stalking for Does/Hinds , as you will hav a better chance as a rule , it is often a lot cheaper price wise , unless you are given a deal
But deer taken in the rut don't always produce the best tasting venison and older bucks can need a bit of hanging
Also when talking about making a booking, ask about if you could purchase what or part of what you shoot and costs relating to that, as in the past I hav just bought half a beast but did pitch in on the butchery side of things
Also something else to consider
If Munties are on the list along with other deer species ,they are great tasting venison just not a lot on them once boned out, so that may also sway your decision when it comes to which species to book for the freezer as there may be a set cull charge on Does also
ATB

ps what ever I shoot for the freezer is classed as a trophy in my eyes;)
good luck and safe hunting

Stone, second paragraph, first sentence of the opening post. ;)

Maybe I've spent too much time on the AR forum recently, but I read of one guy who had a PH keep a number of trophy antelope in a pen. The beasts were photographed so that he could select an individual for him to "hunt". Just one example of many that I could have used.

Still, each to their own eh.

Best
MJ

Last edited:
I always offer the client the venison at the current game dealer rates, and with the female's season fast approaching there will be no issue with trophy hunting if all you require is some meat for the freezer.
Cheers
Richard

For balance, trophy hunting isn't a bad thing. It can provide a way for estates to earn much needed income etc. My comments were aimed squarely at the kind of hunter who grabs the tape measure before the beast has even been gralloched. I'm sure most of us know someone like that. :)

Good advice there Stone, many thanks.

This thread was in no means intended as a gibe at trophy hunting...each to their own and like MJ75 says - it does produce income. It just not my thing and I'd prefer to stock the freezer. That said, I would always take the appropriate beast rather than another that looks like it may taste better in the interests of the herd. I guess the meat is a welcome bonus from our sport of shooting and animal management.

Last edited:
Take a look at outfits that offer no cull fees but allow you to purchase the venison. Or other outfits who charge a cull fee which includes the venison. These offer better value (generally speaking) than those who charge outing, cull, and venison fees etc.

It's not long until the hind season north of the border kicks off. A good sized hind will take up a chunk of your freezer space and reds are not the most challenging deer species we have to hunt, so you have improved chances of success. There was some reasoable hind stalking offered on here a few days ago. No cull fees etc. Might be worth a look?

Just a thought...if your buying half the beast, as Stone suggests - getting involved in the butchery...which would be great for me - what about leaving the carcass to hang for long enough??

Oly
not all guides or outfitters will offer you that service of just buying half a beast Many will not even heard of such a request
But a good red pricket may easily go 180lbs+ larder weight
thats a lot of money and meat to purchase so make sure you ask before hand if they are happy to supply you with just a half a beast if successful
as for not hanging it for a few days will not make that much difference unless it's an old beast then a few weeks of hanging can makes a lot of difference

Back