Who's Tuning In To BBC Fall Watch 2018?

I would love to be watching it as the Live Video etc is really good - there are some good video clips of flying squirrels etc on the BBC Website.

But the presenters are just appalling.

I can barely watch most nature 'documentaries' nowadays. I know it's good to get the kids engaged, but when they are all aimed at 8 year olds with a 2 second attention span it gets tedious. Plus they nearly all do a lot more anthropomorphising than I am comfortable with. They are animals, not people - the producers' desire to create cute stories and gloss over the harsh realities of nature does all the viewers a disservice. [/rant off].

I can barely watch most nature 'documentaries' nowadays.

The only presenter that I'd even consider watching would be Ray Mears plus old re-runs of some of Jack Hargreaves stuff and Les Hiddins. And with Ray Mears it's the ones that have some historical context that I look at not the purely wildlife ones. So his "Wilderness" series. His stuff in England wasn't as good for my interests as I can see that for myself.

Some of the American Alaska stuff, if you are patient with it, is interesting in parts. French television has some good stuff also.

Same with celebrity anything. Be selective. I've the dancing skills of an outside portakabin toilet yet found Len Goodman's BBC2 stuff on dancing and its history fascinating. All the other wildlife/nature people, Fogle, Grylls, Irwin you can keep. I'm lucky. Not having a television forces me to be selective in what I do get to see at a later time.

Last edited:
I would love to be watching it as the Live Video etc is really good - there are some good video clips of flying squirrels etc on the BBC Website.

But the presenters are just appalling.

Just turn down the volume and whack on some late 20th Century music by an American composer such as Ferde Grofé and enjoy the pictures!

Watch it? I wouldn't watch anything involving that bunch of misfits. We get more entertainment out of long distance listening to our village "Squire" who also doubles as village idiot, f/ing and blinding his farm stock whilst chasing them on his quad bike. He can even get them to jump the "Hunt jumps" in the wire fences. Mad as a box of frogs. :rofl:

Why Oh Why would anyone watch that idiot Packham, out of choice, the guy is a waste of good air
Ray

The only presenter that I'd even consider watching would be Ray Mears plus old re-runs of some of Jack Hargreaves stuff and Les Hiddins. And with Ray Mears it's the ones that have some historical context that I look at not the purely wildlife ones. So his "Wilderness" series. His stuff in England wasn't as good for my interests as I can see that for myself.

Some of the American Alaska stuff, if you are patient with it, is interesting in parts. French television has some good stuff also.

Same with celebrity anything. Be selective. I've the dancing skills of an outside portakabin toilet yet found Len Goodman's BBC2 stuff on dancing and its history fascinating. All the other wildlife/nature people, Fogle, Grylls, Irwin you can keep. I'm lucky. Not having a television forces me to be selective in what I do get to see at a later time.

Isn't Les Hiddins the Bush tucker man ? I used to love watching him, he really knew what he was up to.

Isn't Les Hiddins the Bush tucker man ? I used to love watching him, he really knew what he was up to.

yes that's him, I really enjoyed his programs, he's an army veteran too, did two tours in Vietnam. proper survival man, non of this scripted rubbish and off to a hotel with the rest of the film crew.

I'm banned from watching anything with that idiot Packham in it........ never agreed with ANYTHING that comes out of his gob or he post.

CP seems to be getting some stick on here but he said that red squirrels need our protection! Great! I assume he means we need to trap and shoot greys:rofl:

I wonder what he thinks we should do to undertake "protecting red squirrels" in reality?

Can't watch it, I refuse point blanks to buy a TV licence.
Value for money, I'd be better off burning the £150 to keep warm.

I refuse point blanks to buy a TV licence

I've just cancelled ours. Utterly sick and tired of having my trousers pulled down by Sky, Netflix, Amazon, etc, and THEN having to fork out an additional £150 to watch the shoite the BBC comes out with. Wouldn't be so bad if the likes of the Blue Planet, etc was on every week, but the standard of programming is abysmal these days on the whole, and not just on the BBC

TV was a lot better when there were only 4 channels

It really was! I see the hype over Blue Peter being 60 years old this week. I remember when it was exclusive to BBC1, and was something to look forward to! Valerie Singleton being a particular favourite, John Noakes, Simon Groom, etc. Proper, decent presenters as opposed to the nonentities coming out of the woodwork these days . . . .

I've just cancelled ours. Utterly sick and tired of having my trousers pulled down by Sky, Netflix, Amazon, etc, and THEN having to fork out an additional £150 to watch the shoite the BBC comes out with. Wouldn't be so bad if the likes of the Blue Planet, etc was on every week, but the standard of programming is abysmal these days on the whole, and not just on the BBC

This!

I’m very keen to stop paying tv license and find beeb.....

I watch tv on a basis when I need it like amazon prime or Netflix .....

What’s actual laws for binning license ?
What can you watch not watch ?
How do they police it ?

Paul

This!

I’m very keen to stop paying tv license and find beeb.....

I watch tv on a basis when I need it like amazon prime or Netflix .....

What’s actual laws for binning license ?
What can you watch not watch ?
How do they police it ?

Paul

They police it by having a database of every address in the UK. They know either whether or not an address has a licence. That is all. If they have you down as not having a licence, the hassle the sweet bejesus out of you until you pay their odious and utterly disgraceful tax. They assume everyone has a TV (which most do)

If you fail to buy a licence, and do not respond to their awfully constructed letters, they send the goons round to see you. They are goons of the highest order. Not your normal goon but the gooniest of goon ridden goons. They are bereft of basic intelligence and definitely lack manners. I once opened the door to one who stood there with a clipboard and without looking up at me, he simply said "Name?" I replied "it doesn't work like that round here" and shut the door.

I buy one each year (reluctantly is an understatement) as I don't wish to live my life behind closed curtains and ignoring knocks at the door but unless they actually catch you watching TV and have you sign their disclosure agreement, you will never be taken to court. Because they refuse to disclose their methods of detection in court (evidence should accompany a court case) due to not wanting the public to know how they detect (because they don't) there has never been a case where someone has been prosecuted due to evidence presented in court whereby it has been proven electronically that someone was watching Eastenders on the 2nd floor in Room B at 8pm or whatever. That is because it is impossible to do.

They catch you at the door, hear the TV on, say you have been caught and have you sign a form which admits to the breach. You then go to court and get your £200 fine blah blah.

I hate the BBC and associated TV Licensing. I pay for Sky because they provide me with what I want (sport and decent news and docs) What I don't want, I don't have to pay for. It is called choice. The TV licence is like buying a chicken and then paying a third party for permission to eat it.

They can suck my grapes but I still have to pay them this horrible compulsory tax. They should go subscription and see how far they get. £4bn they get nearly from annual subs. £4bn. Say that a few times. Not millions. Billions. Larger than the GDP of some countries. I simply hate the whole thing and fail to see how it can still exist in a modern world. How they have survived all the terrible things that go on there is beyond me.

Back