can of worms Harkila?

kevin01041961

Hi guys I expect flak for this, Harkila boots are they worth it, ive bought a pair and the reason they do big sizes , as I take a 14 and a half they do a 15 so hence I bought a pair, I see on facebook people burning them as they leek so badly,
I'm wondering should I send them back for something else or stick with them? opinions please but spending £299 on some worthless boots that I might have to replace in 6mths isn't going to please the wife, oh by the way love if your reading this I bought them for a Tenner!!!!
let me know don't spare my blushers :p

Just walked several miles up and down the hill in Scotland in my pair in truly wet conditions. Had to walk through burns and sank in wet peety ground with every step.

100% waterproof and very comfortable.

Then 10m from the car whilst dragging the deer I sank up to my knees and flooded my left boot :(

Proceeded to go back and do another 5 miles (and watch Ed shoot another stag) with one wet boot and was comfortable and surprisingly warm.

I own a Harkila Pro Hunter Jacket which I consider to be seriously average with some bad bits thrown in (like both pockets fell off in the first year of ownership) so not a "head up my jack" Harkila fan, but I cant fault the boots with regular mink oil
application.

Only small thing was I couldn't dry them out overnight by the rad, but they are tall ankle boots so not a big complaint.

i bought a pair of harkila boots 4 years ago at a great price, ive used them many times, i,ve never had wet feet in all that time, but i make sure there cleaned and oiled every time i use them, and i have pro hunter and pro hunter pants, and i cant fault them. bs

Happy enough with mine. Bought them s/h a couple of years ago from another SD member. Have worn them pretty hard and they're starting to look tatty, but still waterproof.

Hi, I wear Härkila Pro Hunter GTX® 12″ Boots, shopped around and got them for £280, I have really broad feet, and I mean broad!!! And these fit like a glove from day one. The only thing I do, following a thread of another web site, is make a dairy note, every 3 months, to rub oil or lanin into the flexible gusset at the heal, as I had heard some split here. I also like the fact that they don’t need polishing, I just wash mine off when they get covered in pig muck!!!! P.s, I also love the quick lacing, height and support.

I could also add, that I looked all over the place for low maintenance boots, and these Harkila appeared to be the best available, but the whole market quality is simply not where it was 20 odd years ago.

My old original Aigle high leg-boots finally packed in, after around 20 years!!!

But on investigation and inspection I discovered that the current range of Aigle is but Aigle in name, probably made in China or similar under licence, probably like the Härkila!!! Pro Hunter GTX® 12″ Boots, but these were definitely the best of the rest, and the broadest, especially if you don’t want leather high maintenance boots.

To end with, my lamp man, who does not like spending money!!!!, purchased around the same time pair of cheap Jack Pyke boots, saying I was mad to spend £280. He is equally chuffed with his, but I pray every day his will split and let water in first!!!!

Last edited:
Also have the Pro hunter 12" GTX which I mink oiled at purchase and have put them through their paces in the last couple of years and they are still are holding up well and still waterproof.

Struggle to drive even an auto in them though, but im sure that will be the same for all tall supportive boots.

Have tried various manufacturers over the years and have settled on Meindl Dovre Extremes for hill work and a pair of German Special Forces boots at £60ish for lowland work.German boots are double leather with a heavy duty sole. Treat them with a wax a couple of times a year and they are perfect.
Had a pair of Harkila boots and they were comfortable straight from the box but they started to leak and fell apart in a season. The heather and rocks literally tore them to bits. Returned them and was given another pair in exchange. Same thing happened.
Clothes okay, boots not so much.

Hi my thanks for all the information, I have had recommendations for lots of boots, the problem is my size 14 1/2 to 15s not many do my size so a little trapped, it would seem that larger sizes are becoming the norm but its very slow

I also have a pair of harkila boots but I found them to be heavy so never use them. I prefer meindl walking boots.

My Harkila Big Game GTX are the best boots I have ever owned period. They're clearly not designed for rough 'Hill' use, but for lowland comfort I wouldn't wish to wear anything else. Keeping my previous pair for Stalking only, I sold to another member when I had to surrender my licences for a period, but missed them so much I have recently replaced and bought a second pair since they appear to have now been discontinued.

If durability is more important, I use my Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX Walking Boots which are both comfortable and extremely hard wearing, my last pair making 1100km before the leather finally split and one of the eyes pulled out, but still having wear left in them.

I also own and swear by Harkila Forester Wellies with side zip. Again, they're not designed for 'rough' use, but my first pair have lasted 3-years and 750km before splitting around the toe seam. Still however despite the split I can stand in water and it doesn't come into the boot. Frustrating they have split, as the soles have probably the same distance in them again. I have still however bought another pair because of the sheer comfort and the convenience of the zip entry. It helped that Uttings currently have them on sale for £139 from £199.

As your up North why dont you consider going to see Altbergs and i expect for similar money you could have your own made to fit.

Just a thought.

D

Back