Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on muntjack please

advice on muntjack please

just after a bit of advice realy , i have 3 woods by my house with muntjack in them they are only about a felid away from each other , i have sat up there a few evenings with the rifle too see if i can get 1 but never seem too see them , i know there in there because when we go beating we see at lest 2 or 3 every time we go through. Is there anyway of coaxing them out or is it just a matter of patience. cheers , matt

Go to the area of the wood protected by the wind and catching the warmth of the sun, great if its the same side!
    Watch out for your scent as they have a good sence off smell.
    You may need to wait till sun set/rise as they may not come out untill then.

Apples, carrots and lick blocks have helped some, pheasent feeders can be good in hard weather.

To be honest its a matter of patience!
    Last edited by Leupsak; 10-10-2010 at 07:14.

Aren't buttalo calls supposed to work well with muntys anytime of the year.

They won't generally come out, because they don't need to. Bucks may come out for a look around, but does will stay hidden at this time of year as there is still plenty of food in there.
    You mention that you beat through there so I assume there are game birds and maybe feeders in there?
    You need to get in the woods after them to have any real success. A high seat on a ride overlooking a pheasant feeder would be my first thought!
    If not, could you make one?
    A high seat positioned with finger rides cut going away fom it in several directions, almost like spokes of a wheel with your seat as the hub. Don't cut too much back or too low though as they like to stay in relative cover, just enough to see them for a shot! A corn feeder can help to attract them or keep them still long enough for a shot.
    Patience and hours in a seat will be your best bet!
    Good luck.
    MS

i agree with ms, i have a small woodland on my shoot with 2 rides cut into it.
    on the rides are feed hoppers with wheat and aniseed mixed.
    this pulls in muntys, carrots and maize cobs work well.
    buttollo calls work as do fox calls, calling from a high seat.
    yes patience is needed, i probably drop 1 munty to every 4-5 visits.
    they make very good eating, good luck.

The pheasant feeders are always a good draw, as pointed out by MS. If you have munties in the wood just set yourself up within range of one that you've seen slots around and wait. You won't have to wait too long as munties feed on roughly a 4 hour cycle; cos they've only got likkle bellies and have to fill them often.
    When skinning the carcase start with a freshly sharpened knife and have another one on stand by. They are a bugger for blunting knives.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

thanks alot , yea there are quite a few feeders in the wood's , will have too have a scout around and find a good spot too sit. Have got a good fox squeler , well it works well on foxes , will have too give that a try. will c if i get time this afternoon . Off lamping tonight in my m8s new ranger atv thing hopfully we will have a bit of luck there as well .

They will respond to a call, demonstrated to me by Remington 700 on Sunday who took me and my girlfriend on a woodland stalk. When we got to a clearing he told us to be ready ,she had the gun on the sticks and he used the call....four or five peeps later we had 3 or four deer within metres moving about and barking. A few minutes later Michelle shot her first ever deer, a munti doe...Im gutted 'cos I messed the video up....her reaction was classic....cool and calm then overcome with emotion after she had shot it for a minute or to due to the adrelalin surge and relief of shooting it and making a clean kill ( she was worried in case she messed the shot up being her first deer) But all turned out well as the claret on her forehead and huge grin on her face proved. The Munti is hung up ready for her to skin and butcher...told her she isnt getting away with that part.

Well done Chell you did us proud and a thousand thanks to Paul and all involved who helped her achieve her first kill
    Last edited by chickenman; 12-10-2010 at 21:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Leupsak View Post
    Go to the area of the wood protected by the wind and catching the warmth of the sun, great if its the same side!
    Watch out for your scent as they have a good sence off smell.
    You may need to wait till sun set/rise as they may not come out untill then.

Apples, carrots and lick blocks have helped some, pheasent feeders can be good in hard weather.

To be honest its a matter of patience!
    + 1

Also totally agree with Monkey Spanners comments

There's too much food & cover about at the moment as I've just just found out on our latest cull. Results are 40% of what they were in March.
    Pheasant hoppers work well - another simple trick is a plastic drum with a rainwater pipe fitted to its base and a 45' mouth cut at the bottom. Remember to lift these drums at the end of the season or the squirrels will reck them.
    As for calling, on the occassions I've been successful the deer have come from scrub near by usually within 50 yards. Only once have I called one in that was a couple of hundred yards away. (she was barking as soon as I called).
    Hope this is of some use.
    Remington 700
    Last edited by Remington 700; 13-10-2010 at 12:11. Reason: Add information

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_1029 View Post
    thanks alot , yea there are quite a few feeders in the wood's , will have too have a scout around and find a good spot too sit.
    Matt

+1 on the pheasant feeders - it's amazing how many times you glass a feeder and see a muntjac underneath.

From my experience muntjac also tend to be creatures of habit - if you've seen them following a route once you can often catch them repeating the same route on a regular basis, hence the creation of the "muntjac motorways" where you can see definite trails through the undergrowth. If you have any blocks of firs in your woods then try and find a vantage point where you can sit at the base of a tree an look under the branches (remembering the backstop of course). There are some seats and places on the land I stalk on where you know if you hang around a muntjac will eventually appear.

So far as calling, if you do try it make sure you look all around, including behind you. On too many occasions in the past I've used the Buttolo and figured that nothing was coming to the call, only to take the rifle off the sticks and have a muntjac bark from behind me when it saw the movement .

Good luck! All the hard work will pay off when you have some delicious muntjac fillet on the plate

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!