Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: berger bullets

berger bullets

Has anybody had any experience with the 155gn hunting vld?

I will be using them in my 308 but would be interested in your views whatever the caliber.

thanks steve

My buddy shoots them from his 308. How far are you planning to shoot?~Muir

Out to about 350

Tested some loads today at 100 yards with loads from 45gn to 47gn and all grouped under half inch with the best at .32, i will try some a longer ranges when i get a chance. I was hoping they will group better than the sst's i am using at longer ranges.

I am also slightly concerned that they might be to frangeable, if thats a proper word.

steve

That they might be, but what I was going to add was that my Marine Corps marksmanship Instructor buddy won't bother with VLD bullets under 400M. Says they aren't necessary.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by musty View Post
    Has anybody had any experience with the 155gn hunting vld?

I will be using them in my 308 but would be interested in your views whatever the caliber.

thanks steve
    there a waste of time mate unless your shooting really long distance,they break up really bad at normal shooting distances,dont be fooled by all the long range videos of the yanks using vlds,they shoot at massive ranges which the vld will be slow enough to sort of expand,dont do it mate but a proper bonded hunting bullet

The reason we shoot long ranges is the same reason that mantas jump out of the water and splash back. Because we can, and it's fun. I don't knock anyone else for wanting to stalk up close, or shoot with a bow or use dogs. But some of us don't find that to be fun. And the main reason I hunt is enjoyment, not to follow someone elses' idea of how I should do it. I would rather drop my animals dead in their tracks before they even know I'm withing five hundred yards of them than bleed them out (using a bow), or scare the bejesus out of them (using dogs). And I don't take shots that I'm less than 95% sure I can make. So my self imposed limit is around 650 yards under ideal conditions. If my game presents itself at fifty yards I'm gonna take it too, but I'm just about as comfortable with at five hundred yard shot as I am a fifty. That not BS bravado, that is confidence which comes with spending thousands of dollars per year in load development, practice and replacing barrels.
    And by the way, if anyone has any of those terrible Bergers in 6.5 hunting VLD I would love to take them off your hands. The are the only bullets I use regardless of the distance.

Happy out.

Account Suspended
    I use them in my .243, they are awesome. I used to use 87grain V-Max but after using 80grain Bergers I switched to bergers.

I get .8" groups at 200yds and just over 1" at 250yds.

They stop Muntjacs, foxes, rabbits and hares in their tracks.

I have found a lot of info about them on the US long range hunting website and a lot of people had success with them either very close to or touching the lands.

I set mine just touching.

If you take the time to weigh and measure Berger bullets too you will find they are incredibly consistent. From the base to the ogive is usually within .001" over the entire box of 100.

Berger are by far the most accurate bullets I have tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyshooter View Post
    The reason we shoot long ranges is the same reason that mantas jump out of the water and splash back. Because we can, and it's fun. I don't knock anyone else for wanting to stalk up close, or shoot with a bow or use dogs. But some of us don't find that to be fun. And the main reason I hunt is enjoyment, not to follow someone elses' idea of how I should do it. I would rather drop my animals dead in their tracks before they even know I'm withing five hundred yards of them than bleed them out (using a bow), or scare the bejesus out of them (using dogs). And I don't take shots that I'm less than 95% sure I can make. So my self imposed limit is around 650 yards under ideal conditions. If my game presents itself at fifty yards I'm gonna take it too, but I'm just about as comfortable with at five hundred yard shot as I am a fifty. That not BS bravado, that is confidence which comes with spending thousands of dollars per year in load development, practice and replacing barrels.
    And by the way, if anyone has any of those terrible Bergers in 6.5 hunting VLD I would love to take them off your hands. The are the only bullets I use regardless of the distance.

Happy out.
    CAN......... WORMS...........OPEN...............

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    CAN......... WORMS...........OPEN...............

ft
    If we keep in mind the question posed in the original post we can minimize the worms that escape that can.

I would respectfully remind all that this is the Reloading, Ballistics & Technical Data subsite. It would be wisest to move the controversial discussion to a more appropriate sub-site.

Regards,
    Paul