Good cheapish knife sharpener?

4535jacks

I am after a sharpener to sharpen an Outdoor Edge Swingblaze. I don't want to spend a lot of money so was thinking a whetstone and leather strop. Can anyone recommend a good make of both and what it the best way of sharpening a concave curve of a belly opener?

I would go with a Lansky turn box, or if you're feeling a bit more spendy a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Both good for concave blades. (not clever enough to be able to put linkys in for either but Google will reveal all). Hope this is of some help ;)

For many years I have used very successfully a falkniven DC4 around £20 or less a good base to start and believe me once you get the feel of how to use it properly it will deliver for the concave blade a good steel will keep it sharp, recently because I wanted something even better I invested in a work sharp WSGSS (not just as cheap but buy once cry once comes to mind here) and am very impressed it's like a DC4 but much much more it still requires a certain skil from the user but its very easy to master and has a ceramic hone which will work well with the concave honestly I think you would like it around £60 and has an upgrade kit around £40 to make it even more versatile and will last you a lifetime just my tuppence worth and most definitely worth a look.

Damian

Last edited:
For many years I have used very successfully a falkniven DC4 around £20 or less a good base to start and believe me once you get the feel of how to use it properly it will deliver, recently because I wanted something even better I invested in a work sharp WSGSS (not just as cheap but buy once cry once comes to mind here) and am very impressed it's like a DC4 but much much more it still requires a certain skil from the user but its very easy to master honestly I think you would like it around £60 and has an upgrade kit around £40 to make it even more versatile and will last you a lifetime just my tuppence worth and most definitely worth a look.

Damian

+ 1 on the DC4.

Real good and decent sharpener, I carry the small cased one in my stalking bag with a strop and have the large version at home

combining the two they will keep your blade razor sharp, I only use the DC4 on the very odd occasion, normally the strop keeps them tip top and like a razor

The DC4 is well worth having in your bag

I find these sharpeners are pretty good. 25 degree angle with 325 grit diamond rods.

Warthog Sharpeners Curve - Sharpeners - Knives Multi-tools

I use the above in the adjustable version and its idiot proof sharpening and works extremely well with the curved blade

Note flat stones obviously wont work on the curved blade and a steel needs to be quite small to et to the but and end of the curve. The Warthog does it all with ease.

Last edited:
I find both the round & flat chainsaw files useful on hard stainless blades, then finish off with a butchers diamond steel.

Had a look at Falkniven DC4 but there seem to be several options, for a straightforward sharpish blade on Mora carbon and stainless blades which would do the job?

Willowbank.

get one of each as they are stupidly cheap.

I keep a very sharp SS one in my stalking bag even if I have a general purpose knife on my belt.

Yes I just been watching the YouTube videos.

Is it worth getting a leather strop to use after the dc4 and will result in an even sharper edge?

If you want a leather strip for finishing speak to Peter Easton on here does them brilliant guy

Back