Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remington 700 magazine

remington 700 magazine

i seem to be having trouble with the magazine on my remington 700 not feeding bullets into the line of the bolt so the bolt is just skiming over the top of it and not picking the new round up. this is the 3rd remington i have had and all 3 have had the same problem and i wondered if anyone know what i'm doing wrong or is there any adjustments i can make to it so as it feeds

I had the same problem on my remmy, just put in a mag system from Roedale with
    the AI magazines. Bullets are all fed to the center before being picked up.
    Much better and 100% reliable. Think syss also makes a similar aftermarket mag system.

My old Sako in 308 has the same problem as the remmy. I'll adapt a system for that rifle too.

edi

Which is nice but an still leaves an unacceptable condition with the factory Remington magazine. Are the rounds loaded to an OAL that allows free verticle travel of the follower? If so, is the follower itself hanging up??~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Which is nice but an still leaves an unacceptable condition with the factory Remington magazine. Are the rounds loaded to an OAL that allows free verticle travel of the follower? If so, is the follower itself hanging up??~Muir
    Muir,
    In my case I never really tried to find out why the remmy wouldn't feed well.
    I will sell the rifle on at some stage and didn't want to dremel around on the action.
    The cartridges would be picked up but would jamm upon the bolt pushing forwards.
    With a little back and forth of the bolt she would chamber but it wasn't the way you want it to be.
    edi

That sucks. One of the reasons I dislike Remington: They can produce a crummy rifle and people are given the opportunity to fix it with after-market gear instead of holding Remington's feet to the fire. I wonder if they count on that?? I have no qualms about reworking a feed ramp but I have done a lot of them. I can see where the average shooter would want to get it taken care of in another manner.~Muir

Throw another couple of hundred quid at it, that should solve its problems until the next one! Or just buy a Sako. JC

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    Throw another couple of hundred quid at it, that should solve its problems until the next one! Or just buy a Sako. JC
    ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    My old sako is just as bad as the remmy and will get the same cure, sick of it.
    Had a howa 22-250 that cycled perfectly and seen several other sako's that also cycled really well but those where long action 75's.
    I think the left right feed can be finicky, central can be made more reliable.
    edi

Is it a BDL or magazine fed rifle - sometimes the cases hang up just under the bolt if the spring isnt lifting the follower evenly.

There may (and no offence meant) may be operator error - are you cycling the bolt to the extent of its rearward travel?

It does seem strange that youve had three with the same issue - ive have had lots of 700's in my hands and none have displayed this tendancy - although I have to say all were BDL fed or aftermarket mag system.

I know of eight Remington 700's, two of which are mine and never encountered this problem. If it's a new rifle send it back under warranty! If not new has someone tinkered with it before you? Has it been altered to fit in another stock before?
    Suggestions: Check the magazine box fits snug up into the bottom of the action recess - that the trigger guard assembly is also seated in correctly - the Magazine spring is inserted into the magazine follower correctly to the stop and the right way up (having just looked on my rifles the spring compresses differently the wrong way up).
    Hope this helps.