What to do with a deer serial killing neighbour?

They will also be happy that the population is dropping to near nil around the region for the same reasons, and your rival will maybe even getting a good name for himself among the farming community as an efficient deer manager.

One of several good points you make there, MS.

Not all landowners subscribe to the principle that deer should be controlled to the point where their amenity value is in balance with an acceptable amount of tree damage. For them, the concept of management as many of us here on SD understand it is anathema. The only good deer is a dead deer, and the only acceptable amount of tree damage is no tree damage. Someone prepared to shoot on sight, but within the law, thereby becomes a local hero.

Then there are the landowners who view deer simply as a convenient and cost-free salary supplement for gun-toting employees. "Shoot as many as you want. I don't want to know." It is an invitation to slaughter.

Sadly, as a neighbour to one or other of these civic-minded types, one has no option but to accept it.

PKL, I somewhat agree that it is "not nice" when someone who has the shooting on your borders ruins what you have but that's life. You have to get smart. You get a permission - get your arse round every bit of adjoining land to see if you can get the shooting there as well. BUT having done so you MUST be in a position to live up to what you have offered otherwise as others on here have rightly stated you lose.
From what you say had you been in there quicker you could have shot 120 in the last three months. I don't know where your ground is but if it is a good bit from home you probably cannot offer the time etc to control large areas therefore you may just have to live with it.

What I would do is keep my nose out of what should not concern me, if a land owner wants them all shot its up to them, had a similar problem with a member of the bds several yrs ago regarding red deer they were told by the landowner where to go.

when are roe out of season ? also if you had knocked on some doors it would be the other way around , i have some ground i shoot roe on and after i had shot what i judged was enough for the year , i had a chat with the land owner who said if i did not want to shoot anymore he could always get somebody else who would !!!!!! needless to say i shot a few more not as many as he wanted , (i exaggerated the amount shot until he was happy) enough to keep the ground , he has a new tree plantation so to him it was pure economics !

Approach the guy in question and see if he wants a hand, i would. Regards, Ed.

Make friends with the guy, if his land dictates that such large quantities of deer need to removed (assuming he is concerned with responsible managment) then ask him if he needs a hand or would like assistance with achieving his targets. If your land borders his then it makes sence for you both to work together.

Ok, just to clarify a few things.

I am not jealous, nor have I lost an opportunity in not acquiring stalking rights on the neighbouring grounds, I don't need that much and am pleased with what I have myself. The local farmers have never complained about roe damage before, it's never been much of an issue as there are few tree plantations around, and most crop damage is from rooks/crows/pigeons..and the weather!

Everyone in the region enjoy the opportunity to see and to shoot deer. I believe people would like to be able to continue enjoying the sport for the coming years, and not see the deer population become nil over the course of one year. The person in question is profiteering, shooting every deer he can, purely for sales to the local butchers, irrespective of sex and season. I (and others) know this because deer we usually spot (doe/buck/yearlings/etc) are suddenly gone (and we know why) - and irrespective of roe now and again eating a bit of grass belonging to a farmer, I sure as fack do not think this justifies mowing down does with young calves in the middle of summer, and ESPECIALLY not if its just to earn a quick few quid. Not only IMHO is this immoral and unethical, but its despicable and against the nature of the sport..and moreover, it will ruin any deer stalking for the coming seasons.

Like I said, I can already see this season that there's very few deer around becuase of this, and no, I'm not jealous, I'm truly disgusted. Taking deer for consumption, culling the old/weak, or to protect trees (when really an issue), is fine, but otherwise it's against the moral code of conduct we/I shoot by.

Like a smart man once said to me when I was very young - " being a good marksman is an art, but being a good hunter is a duty".

If you have proof of him shooting out of season then report him to your local wildlife officer in your local police force. But make sure you have hard proof to back you up. Just because you're not seeing deer does not prove that he's shooting illegally. Could the farmers have obtained an out of season license?

I would be very upset if any person or group were aiming to harvest a deer population purely for the killing and cash. I would certainly speak to the different people involved but if it's all above board there's not a lot can be done.

On the other hand I wouldn't be shy in talking with the landowners to see what's going on since as a local deer manager you have concerns especially if does are being shot out of season (in the last couple of months) since there are serious welfare issues.

i dont know why you dont name him, if you think he is guilty then just spit it out. one of us will know him and then we will get to the bottom of it.

Yeah i do know seasons , but pkl said roe are being shot and roe are in all year dependant on sex , so the fella thats shooting all the surrounding deer may have been shooting them in the correct season , Buck April 1st - Oct 31st Does Nov 1st - Mar 31st England ,
AND IF THERE IS PROOF HE IS LAMPING AND SHOOTING DOES OUT OF SEASON IT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED

ALL MY LOVE 65X55

Back