Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: 22 centrefire 60 grain bullet choice for the small deer. or even roe deer in scotland

  1. #1

    22 centrefire 60 grain bullet choice for the small deer. or even roe deer in scotland

    any of you guys that shoot muntjac,cwd, or roe in scotland use a 60 grain bullet in your 22 cf.

    i just wanted to no which one you use. a softpoint or hallow point. on the above deer.
    and how you find they work. i would like to try some in my 22/250 which has a 1 in 12 twist so will shoot the 60's fine

    or even a 55 grain as long a sits not a bt bullet

  2. #2
    Although I have yet to use the .222 on deer I suspect that the Hornady 55 grain SP would do just fine. In my .222 it certainly shoots well.

  3. #3
    I use Speer 1047 SP in my 223. I used them in 22-250 until I sold it. I originally went nosler BT, but cost really put me off when accuracy from the Speer was just as good.
    Bambi, fox and even rabbit get the message and it works well over 25gn benchmark powder for me.

    i know on the web site is states it is a varmint round but before I get trussed up by the not enough gun and wrong bullet brigade all yanks reckon 22 calibres are varmint guns so roe are varmints for now.

    It works and has done for years

    OK?

  4. #4
    The reasoning behind the "varmint" designation is because few individual states (who set their own laws) allow calibers smaller than 6 millimeter. Their reasoning is that some cluck will eventually buy a box of 46 grain Winchester varminter HP's and blow hunks off of a 200 pound mule deer.

    The 22 CF as a big game rifle has met with a lot of criticism over the years in the US. There was a fellow back in the late 50's, early 60's who came upo with a 7x57 necked to .22 caliber he called the .224 Clark. He shot 80 grain bullet with a 1-8" twist barrel and wrote up his splendid results in the pulp media only to be scoffed at. Needless to say that in retrospect, this guy was years ahead of his time.

    I like the 60 grain SP by Hornady, myself. ~Muir

  5. #5
    I used sako 55gr game heads for years in my .22/250 for roe and accounted for a few dozen.

    All were lung shot and only one was a runner as I recall, the rest dropping on the spot.

    If the deer were broadside, I found the meat damage not bad however if a shot was taken through the shoulder at an angle, you could write the shoulder off!

  6. #6
    60 Grain Sierra Varminter (1375)

  7. #7
    Muir

    Roe deer up in Scotland vary. I have shot roe from 20lb to 50lb depending on food and shelter. They are not big animals. Last month I took one from Argyle that was 12.5KG (on the hook, not hoof) and another from Ayrshire that was 18.5KG on hook and only 2 years old. Like I said not big beasties. They taste good though.

    DD

    Just remembered the wee roe was taken with 308 and 125gn pill and it still jumped a fence and ended up in the burn minus its lungs and the top of its heart which were splayed out on the bracken at point of strike. Must have used to much gun :-)


    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    The reasoning behind the "varmint" designation is because few individual states (who set their own laws) allow calibers smaller than 6 millimeter. Their reasoning is that some cluck will eventually buy a box of 46 grain Winchester varminter HP's and blow hunks off of a 200 pound mule deer.

    The 22 CF as a big game rifle has met with a lot of criticism over the years in the US. There was a fellow back in the late 50's, early 60's who came upo with a 7x57 necked to .22 caliber he called the .224 Clark. He shot 80 grain bullet with a 1-8" twist barrel and wrote up his splendid results in the pulp media only to be scoffed at. Needless to say that in retrospect, this guy was years ahead of his time.

    I like the 60 grain SP by Hornady, myself. ~Muir
    Last edited by dieseldan; 11-10-2010 at 16:43.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    any of you guys that shoot muntjac,cwd, or roe in scotland use a 60 grain bullet in your 22 cf.

    i just wanted to no which one you use. a softpoint or hallow point. on the above deer.
    and how you find they work. i would like to try some in my 22/250 which has a 1 in 12 twist so will shoot the 60's fine

    or even a 55 grain as long a sits not a bt bullet
    When only .22cfs were legal in Eire I shot many Sika, some Reds and Hybrids with the Hornady 60gr softpoint and the 63gr Sierra semi-pointed bullets out of my Tikka Continental .22/250 which had a one-in-twelve twist.
    It was not as accurate with the 70gr Speer though.

    HWH.

  9. #9
    cheers stage1933 did you find the hornady bullets very good in it

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    cheers stage1933 did you find the hornady bullets very good in it
    Yes !
    They worked well and were very accurate. I was using the Norma 202 powder which seems to have gone off the market place.

    HWH.

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted Roe deer stalking in north cumbria/northumberland/southern scotland
    By WAYNE in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 18:58
  2. weihrauch HW 60 J .222 centrefire
    By Offroad Gary in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-02-2009, 13:35
  3. 22-250 loads for roe deer (in scotland)
    By david1976 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 20:00
  4. roe deer bullet choice
    By swampy in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 19-06-2008, 12:40
  5. The Best bullet for Roe Deer
    By Heym SR20 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 31-01-2008, 09:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •