22 centrefire 60 grain bullet choice for the small deer. or even roe deer in scotland

jay 22

any of you guys that shoot muntjac,cwd, or roe in scotland use a 60 grain bullet in your 22 cf.

i just wanted to no which one you use. a softpoint or hallow point. on the above deer.
and how you find they work. i would like to try some in my 22/250 which has a 1 in 12 twist so will shoot the 60's fine

or even a 55 grain as long a sits not a bt bullet

Although I have yet to use the .222 on deer I suspect that the Hornady 55 grain SP would do just fine. In my .222 it certainly shoots well.

I use Speer 1047 SP in my 223. I used them in 22-250 until I sold it. I originally went nosler BT, but cost really put me off when accuracy from the Speer was just as good.
Bambi, fox and even rabbit get the message and it works well over 25gn benchmark powder for me.

i know on the web site is states it is a varmint round but before I get trussed up by the not enough gun and wrong bullet brigade all yanks reckon 22 calibres are varmint guns so roe are varmints for now.

It works and has done for years

OK?

The reasoning behind the "varmint" designation is because few individual states (who set their own laws) allow calibers smaller than 6 millimeter. Their reasoning is that some cluck will eventually buy a box of 46 grain Winchester varminter HP's and blow hunks off of a 200 pound mule deer.

The 22 CF as a big game rifle has met with a lot of criticism over the years in the US. There was a fellow back in the late 50's, early 60's who came upo with a 7x57 necked to .22 caliber he called the .224 Clark. He shot 80 grain bullet with a 1-8" twist barrel and wrote up his splendid results in the pulp media only to be scoffed at. Needless to say that in retrospect, this guy was years ahead of his time.

I like the 60 grain SP by Hornady, myself. ~Muir

I used sako 55gr game heads for years in my .22/250 for roe and accounted for a few dozen.

All were lung shot and only one was a runner as I recall, the rest dropping on the spot.

If the deer were broadside, I found the meat damage not bad however if a shot was taken through the shoulder at an angle, you could write the shoulder off!

Muir

Roe deer up in Scotland vary. I have shot roe from 20lb to 50lb depending on food and shelter. They are not big animals. Last month I took one from Argyle that was 12.5KG (on the hook, not hoof) and another from Ayrshire that was 18.5KG on hook and only 2 years old. Like I said not big beasties. They taste good though.

DD

Just remembered the wee roe was taken with 308 and 125gn pill and it still jumped a fence and ended up in the burn minus its lungs and the top of its heart which were splayed out on the bracken at point of strike. Must have used to much gun :)

The reasoning behind the "varmint" designation is because few individual states (who set their own laws) allow calibers smaller than 6 millimeter. Their reasoning is that some cluck will eventually buy a box of 46 grain Winchester varminter HP's and blow hunks off of a 200 pound mule deer.

The 22 CF as a big game rifle has met with a lot of criticism over the years in the US. There was a fellow back in the late 50's, early 60's who came upo with a 7x57 necked to .22 caliber he called the .224 Clark. He shot 80 grain bullet with a 1-8" twist barrel and wrote up his splendid results in the pulp media only to be scoffed at. Needless to say that in retrospect, this guy was years ahead of his time.

I like the 60 grain SP by Hornady, myself. ~Muir

Last edited:
any of you guys that shoot muntjac,cwd, or roe in scotland use a 60 grain bullet in your 22 cf.

i just wanted to no which one you use. a softpoint or hallow point. on the above deer.
and how you find they work. i would like to try some in my 22/250 which has a 1 in 12 twist so will shoot the 60's fine

or even a 55 grain as long a sits not a bt bullet

When only .22cfs were legal in Eire I shot many Sika, some Reds and Hybrids with the Hornady 60gr softpoint and the 63gr Sierra semi-pointed bullets out of my Tikka Continental .22/250 which had a one-in-twelve twist.
It was not as accurate with the 70gr Speer though.

HWH.

I shot a munti with my .223 Sunday, its the first ive done with it as normaly use 6.5. The deer was hit in the chest and bowled over where it stood. When I gralloched it though I noted that the bullet had fragment and ruptured the stomach which disapoited me. I know I shouldnt base my findings on one bullet but I am led to believe that all 50 grain bullets in .223 are classed as varmit bullets?? I bought some Hornady Soft points in 50 grain heads today as I was told they were less explosive? Have any of you used them on Munti and what were the results ...did they work or did they blow to pieces?

Many thanks

Pete

Last edited:
I don't know what make of rifle you've got but the standard .22-250 twist rate is 14" ... not 12". That's the usual for a standard .223.

All the Tikka models use 14" twist barrels - just as in the Sako - but no matter.

I use the 63gr Sierra SMP in my Tikka M595, and they work just fine - entry and exit. I've tried Hornady 60gr SP, and they're just the same - but harder to get hold of, and more ££'s.

hi mate its a rpa rifle and defo a 1 in 12 twist. my old winchester was a 1 in 14 which your right most other 22/250's are a 1 in 14.

apart form the steyr which come in 1 in 12 twist. cheers on the sierra 63 grain bullet info. what sort of groups and fps are you getting with these.

and i take it your rifle is a 1 in 12 twist.

atb jamie

I don't know what make of rifle you've got but the standard .22-250 twist rate is 14" ... not 12". That's the usual for a standard .223.

All the Tikka models use 14" twist barrels - just as in the Sako - but no matter.

I use the 63gr Sierra SMP in my Tikka M595, and they work just fine - entry and exit. I've tried Hornady 60gr SP, and they're just the same - but harder to get hold of, and more ££'s.

Perhaps you should say `all the CURRENT Tikka .22/250 rifles have a 1 in 14 twist rate`.
When I bought my Tikka Model 55 .22/250 Continental from The Shooting Lodge at Skipton many years ago I was assured by the proprietors that the twist rate of my purchase was 1 in 12 .
However, if I was sold a `pup` it was one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned !

HWH.

65gr Sierra Game King is a bullet I've found to be very good on small stuff, it behaves much like a target round which is a win.

63gr SMP is also good but it's a flat base rather than a boat tail and it is listed as a varmint round. Not sure of the significance of that.

I shot a munti with my .223 Sunday, its the first ive done with it as normaly use 6.5. The deer was hit in the chest and bowled over where it stood. When I gralloched it though I noted that the bullet had fragment and ruptured the stomach which disapoited me. I know I shouldnt base my findings on one bullet but I am led to believe that all 50 grain bullets in .223 are classed as varmit bullets?? I bought some Hornady Soft points in 50 grain heads today as I was told they were less explosive? Have any of you used them on Munti and what were the results ...did they work or did they blow to pieces?

Many thanks

Pete

No matter what you use to chest shoot a Muntjac, you risk disrupting the rumen, even with perfect placement. I have done it with various 6.5. 270 and 308 bullets.

The only way to be sure and not do this is to take a high shoulder or neck/head shot.

Back