Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Howa rifles, are they good?

Howa rifles, are they good?

Im looking at getting a Howa in .243, are they any good and should i go for the varmint or standard barrel? Advise please???

Howa's are very well made, from quality materials, using Japanese machinery........... what do you intend its main use for?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Nice first post Mark, look for the intro at the sop of the page, that aside you'll get all the help and info you need from this site once you are settled in.
    This subject has been done to death quite recently, if you do a search you will find all you need to know.
    I personally rate them very highly in standard barrel, the trigger isn't too bad either.

I bought a .243 with synthetic stock following discussion with finnbear270 and am delighted with it.

The rifle holds zero and gives a good group, however to date after the first shot the deer loses interest and there has not been a need for a second.

i have 1 and it shoots fine , had too get the triiger modified because it was a bit heavy , but that only cost 20 . mine has the standard barrel with a wildcat mod and a leupold vx 111 4.5x14x50 scope. had a fox at 250m the other day with it so not too shaby.

Matt_1029..you say you shot a fox at 250m. Does that Leupold have a BDC or was that pure holdover? My .243 drops 12 inches at that range, so holding over for fox would be very tough work, and probably waste of ammo..then again, if you zero at 200m it's not 'that' much holdover I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Howa's are very well made, from quality materials, using Japanese machinery........... what do you intend its main use for?

Fox shooting at first, but i plan to do a deer manegment course next year, we have a lot of Roe on the farm

Who is going to be the first to mention it

ft

http://www.chuckhawks.com/finest_bolt_actions.htm
    Last edited by flytie; 11-10-2010 at 14:32.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Then I would say you would be fine with a sporter barrel, you would soon lose interest lugging a bbl around!............... I have put two five round groups down, with my Howa 7mm WSM sporter barrel before heat got to the stage of having to leave to cool, & these were pretty hot loads running @ 3500fps.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

:d:d:d:d:d
    Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    who is going to be the first to mention it

Ft
    :d:d:d:d:d