Dragging Technique

Boghossian

How do you do it? Grab a back leg and start walking? Harness of some description? Simple rope around the head or head/front legs?

Hi Gabe, you know it is by the head or front legs don't you because any other way would be putting anything from the ground up into the pellage - never drag against the grain:D

How do you do it? Grab a back leg and start walking? Harness of some description? Simple rope around the head or head/front legs?

On very steep ground I have been instructed to drag by the hind leg to slow the descent.
I never use a harness as I never want to be attached to the beast.
Normally use a rope round the neck and half hitch round the jaw.
On very steep ground, I have on rare occasions tied a second beast to the hind leg of the first beast and then a third beast to the second beast.
Have seen a sika hind dragged with its legs crossed over the back of its neck.
Best approach is to phone the deaf Argocat driver and hope he understands where I am. This usually works unless he gets stuck or breaks down.

Rgds JCS

Last edited:
Roe sack for roe/muntjac, deer box/sled with a rope and harness for fallow. Never done anything else!

ft

Hi Gabe, you know it is by the head or front legs don't you because any other way would be putting anything from the ground up into the pellage - never drag against the grain:D

Hi mate, I am a rope man myself but you'd be surprised at the amount of experienced lads that choose to drag hinds using the hind legs. Seems a bit counterintuitive if you ask me.

Walk back to the vehicle, farm yard or whatever, collect a quad, tractor as available, drive back to the carcass, proceed like a sensible person....

I can carry a smallish Sika hind or Fallow doe in a large roe sack. I find this to be easier than dragging. I refused a shot on a large Fallow buck a few weeks ago as I could not picture how I was going get the bugger back to the landrover.

Walk back to the vehicle, farm yard or whatever, collect a quad, tractor as available, drive back to the carcass, proceed like a sensible person....

I can carry a smallish Sika hind or Fallow doe in a large roe sack. I find this to be easier than dragging. I refused a shot on a large Fallow buck a few weeks ago as I could not picture how I was going get the bugger back to the landrover.

Now there is a man with style. The last buck I manhandled over any distance was a rabbit :eek:, did the good Lord mean me to drag then he would not have me buy a quad :)

..couldn't even begin thinking of dragging a fully grown red. For roe I use a roe sack, which will take around 2 deer at a time,,,,then it starts getting heavy!

..love the Argo,,,great fun to drive, s*cks to sit in the back with 5 reds though when your driver is going 20 mph in the dark over 60 degree highland slopes:scared::old:

On very steep ground I have been instructed to drag by the hind leg to slow the descent.
I never use a harness as I never want to be attached to the beast.
Normally use a rope round the neck and half hitch round the jaw.
On very steep ground, I have on rare occasions tied a second beast to the hind leg of the first beast and then a third beast to the second beast.
Have seen a sika hind dragged with its legs crossed over the back of its neck.
Best approach is to phone the deaf Argocat driver and hope he understands where I am. This usually works unless he gets stuck or breaks down.

Rgds JCS
JC, don't you find that uncomfortable?:D

If your on your own and it's near vertical then perhaps the hind legs might be the answer. All the beasts we shot over the last couple of weeks we had a man on the back and one on the front pulling. Never attach yourself incase it runs away with you and watch those antlers if your up front !!!
No access for argo/quad or ponies although they just got a pair, but all down to the tracks from vertical faces.

When we gralloch on the hill, this is due to the distance down the stag has to be dragged, we take everything out, lungs heart, the lot !

In the united states it seems to be common practise to quarter the beast into managable sizes and move it of the hill that way.
Health and safety will win over food hygene regulations any day.
Martin

In the US it pays to bone out on site if you have a long walk back as bones weigh so much, and as you can,t sell venison in most of the states, you will be prosesing most of it for home use.

Young fit and keen Drag rope round neck half hitch on nose rope wrapped around wlking stick never tied on.Now older wiser argo for the hill only shoot them near ware you can get to.quad for roe on low ground.:lol:

Kiss

View attachment 2955

Here is the simplest way to drag hinds ,stags ,whatever loop around the back of the head half hitch the feet ,around the nose it all drags straight, if its a switch your dragging and your not interested in the antlers cut them off .

Making drag bags is simple stuff get a bit of truck curtain, a couple of old seat belts packet of eyelets done .Or one of the signs that people are so apt to tie on to fences for a bit of free advertising they get blown off after a good high wind theres your starter has eyelets already in it, couple of old seat belts around the head antlers and its a winner .

KISS
Keep It Simple Stupid .

In the US it pays to bone out on site if you have a long walk back as bones weigh so much, and as you can,t sell venison in most of the states, you will be prosesing most of it for home use.

Not in my part of the United States. Most Fish and Game departments require the carcass to be intact both for weigh-in (some States have weigh stations) and to prove that you haven't engaged in wanton waste of the game. In any event the carcass must be tagged in any State I've hunted in: Usually the head. Elk are routinely quartered in my region as they are too #(#$($&)@#* heavy to budge otherwise.

For deer up to 200 pounds I just either drag by the antlers or, since I now only shoot does, put a fdrag rope around the neck the drag it that way.

That being said, my favorite dragging method is to sucker someone else to do it for me! :lol: ~Muir

Back