Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 rimfire sighting range

.22 rimfire sighting range

About four years ago now I bought myself a brand new cz .22 rifle, scope and moderator and I have to this day never fired it!

Feeling a bit guilty about spending cash on it and leaving it to gather dust, I am going to sight it in tomorrow in between testing home loads for my bigger rifle while the barrel cools.

The question is this; What range to you sight your .22 rimfire rifle in at, and at that range is it high or spot on the mark?

Cheers

David

.22LR............ from Oehler's chart, smack on point blank @ 72 yards.............. + or minus a tad with your own particular set up.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Depends what range most of your shots are taken,sight too far out and you can be over the top for a bunny sitting perfectly at 30 yards (been there done that).
    I sight spot on at 64 yards and reckon to be no more than an inch out to 70 yards using Winchester super x subs. With the scope wound to 8x and using the tip of the bottom post on the target I can put 3 shots into 1" with my cz452 at 100 yards.
    Whatever zero range you decide on try a target at all other reasonable ranges and see how you get on...thank goodness rimmies are so cheap!.

fraser

David,

I bought a much older CZ .22 at the weekend and hope to zero it sometime later this week, so I'm interested to hear about this.

I took the advice of the bloke in the shop and got a box of Eley's, Winchesters and CCI (all subsonic) to see which mine likes. There was a recent thread about rimfire preferences which was interesting. I also bought a box of CCI "Stingers" which are apparently much faster and louder.

I think the subsonics will start to drop off sooner than the supersonic ones and I guess the point of aim will be different. However, I don't know any more than that and hoping we get some replies.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob.. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the stingers. I got some a year or so ago with the idea of dealing with a fox more effectively if one came along while I had the rimmie but I couldn't get a decent group from them so abandoned the idea. My theory is that (in my rifle anyway) they are just too hot and the bullets tend to strip in the barrel rather than the rifling gripping and turning as designed to do. Just my theory.
    ps I never tried them without the moderator,may have made a difference to accuracy but as I've shot them all I'll never know..not going to buy any more.

fraser
    Last edited by private fraser; 11-10-2010 at 16:52.

Fraser,

I had exactly the same idea in mind for the Stingers - something with a bit more oomph in case a fox trots past when rabbitting.

The bloke who runs the range where I zero is a whizz on rimfires so I'll ask him about them and will let you know.

Cheers,

Bob

May I suggest you forget all about the stingers and try some CCI Velocitors instead. I have yet to find a rim fire that will shoot the Stingers with any decent accuracy but these Velocitors group quite well .

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    David,

I bought a much older CZ .22 at the weekend and hope to zero it sometime later this week, so I'm interested to hear about this.

I took the advice of the bloke in the shop and got a box of Eley's, Winchesters and CCI (all subsonic) to see which mine likes. There was a recent thread about rimfire preferences which was interesting. I also bought a box of CCI "Stingers" which are apparently much faster and louder.

I think the subsonics will start to drop off sooner than the supersonic ones and I guess the point of aim will be different. However, I don't know any more than that and hoping we get some replies.

Cheers,

Bob
    The CCI Stingers are terrible: They are fast and that's about it. The Velocitor is better, and the Aguila Interceptor better yet (tho scarce on your side of the pond, I'm certain) I predict that they will hit high and left from the zero of your subs.~ Muir

subsonics are where its at for me. I use eleys and tend to do pick-up based rabbiting with it so zero at 50 or 60 yards. I do find its quite specific as they drop off pretty quick. Best of luck. Oh by the way mine is also a cz- well a Brno model 2 of unknown vintage but early 80s at the newest. I love it.

I zero mine at about 60paces. for lamping. I find that is the best range for me. much further than that and i struggle to head shoot them consistently anyway if it's closer i still hit them without holding low. if I really have to have a go at range, it just so happens that the second dot on my Leupold premier ret is spot on.
    With regard to Stingers or intercepters: forget them all, if a fox is in range for a .22lr then a subsonic has enough energy to do the job. if you do try and carry some hv rimfire ammo as well, you will only get confused with your zero and never have one up the spout when you need one anyway. A lad that works for me insists on carrying Subsonics,CB longs and Stingers everytime he goes out, I have yet to see him hit anything with any of the rounds.

Have fun Ezzy