.22 rimfire sighting range

david1976

About four years ago now I bought myself a brand new cz .22 rifle, scope and moderator and I have to this day never fired it!

Feeling a bit guilty about spending cash on it and leaving it to gather dust, I am going to sight it in tomorrow in between testing home loads for my bigger rifle while the barrel cools.

The question is this; What range to you sight your .22 rimfire rifle in at, and at that range is it high or spot on the mark?

Cheers

David

Depends what range most of your shots are taken,sight too far out and you can be over the top for a bunny sitting perfectly at 30 yards:oops: (been there done that).
I sight spot on at 64 yards and reckon to be no more than an inch out to 70 yards using Winchester super x subs. With the scope wound to 8x and using the tip of the bottom post on the target I can put 3 shots into 1" with my cz452 at 100 yards.
Whatever zero range you decide on try a target at all other reasonable ranges and see how you get on...thank goodness rimmies are so cheap!.

fraser

David,

I bought a much older CZ .22 at the weekend and hope to zero it sometime later this week, so I'm interested to hear about this.

I took the advice of the bloke in the shop and got a box of Eley's, Winchesters and CCI (all subsonic) to see which mine likes. There was a recent thread about rimfire preferences which was interesting. I also bought a box of CCI "Stingers" which are apparently much faster and louder.

I think the subsonics will start to drop off sooner than the supersonic ones and I guess the point of aim will be different. However, I don't know any more than that and hoping we get some replies.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob.. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the stingers. I got some a year or so ago with the idea of dealing with a fox more effectively if one came along while I had the rimmie but I couldn't get a decent group from them so abandoned the idea. My theory is that (in my rifle anyway) they are just too hot and the bullets tend to strip in the barrel rather than the rifling gripping and turning as designed to do. Just my theory.
ps I never tried them without the moderator,may have made a difference to accuracy but as I've shot them all I'll never know..not going to buy any more.

fraser

Last edited:
Fraser,

I had exactly the same idea in mind for the Stingers - something with a bit more oomph in case a fox trots past when rabbitting.

The bloke who runs the range where I zero is a whizz on rimfires so I'll ask him about them and will let you know.

Cheers,

Bob

May I suggest you forget all about the stingers and try some CCI Velocitors instead. I have yet to find a rim fire that will shoot the Stingers with any decent accuracy but these Velocitors group quite well :D.

David,

I bought a much older CZ .22 at the weekend and hope to zero it sometime later this week, so I'm interested to hear about this.

I took the advice of the bloke in the shop and got a box of Eley's, Winchesters and CCI (all subsonic) to see which mine likes. There was a recent thread about rimfire preferences which was interesting. I also bought a box of CCI "Stingers" which are apparently much faster and louder.

I think the subsonics will start to drop off sooner than the supersonic ones and I guess the point of aim will be different. However, I don't know any more than that and hoping we get some replies.

Cheers,

Bob
The CCI Stingers are terrible: They are fast and that's about it. The Velocitor is better, and the Aguila Interceptor better yet (tho scarce on your side of the pond, I'm certain) I predict that they will hit high and left from the zero of your subs.~ Muir

subsonics are where its at for me. I use eleys and tend to do pick-up based rabbiting with it so zero at 50 or 60 yards. I do find its quite specific as they drop off pretty quick. Best of luck. Oh by the way mine is also a cz- well a Brno model 2 of unknown vintage but early 80s at the newest. I love it.

I zero mine at about 60paces. for lamping. I find that is the best range for me. much further than that and i struggle to head shoot them consistently anyway if it's closer i still hit them without holding low. if I really have to have a go at range, it just so happens that the second dot on my Leupold premier ret is spot on.
With regard to Stingers or intercepters: forget them all, if a fox is in range for a .22lr then a subsonic has enough energy to do the job. if you do try and carry some hv rimfire ammo as well, you will only get confused with your zero and never have one up the spout when you need one anyway. A lad that works for me insists on carrying Subsonics,CB longs and Stingers everytime he goes out, I have yet to see him hit anything with any of the rounds.

Have fun Ezzy

All,

Thanks for your replies and apologies to you David for hijacking the thread with stingers etc.

I think I'll have to have a go with the stingers because I'm intrigued to see if Muir's prediction of high and left comes true. However, my main objective is to get the rifle to shoot well with one of the brands of subsonic ammunition. I bought it for rabbit shooting and for practice, so I think the subsonics will be the way to go.

I'll have a go and let you know.

Cheers,

Bob

In my Brno I get goog results from rws or eley HV ammo and find it shoots on the same line as sub sonics ie sight subbies in for c50 yds, hv is bang on using same sight hold at c 80 yds. Tend to use subbies, but like to use hv if ranges are longer.

Don't discount the power of sub sonics. When I was a boy the next door farmer shot a stray Alsatian that was worrying sheep very dead with 22 rf and subies. And on friends farm in zim 22 rf was used for everything - I was sent to shoot baboons with it - as a 14 yr old baboons can look awfully big - shoot the in the head and don't miss was what I was instructed. Fortunately never got close enough!

Following on from earlier posts about rimfires, CCI Stingers etc. - I took my new (to me) rifle to the range for the first time last night and tried it with a few different rounds.

The first thing that surprised me is how accurate it is, even at 100 yards, which is beyond what I plan to use it for. At that range it produced groups of just over an inch.

I then tried it with Eley, Winchester and CCI subs at 30 yrds. The eleys produced a ragged hole. The Winchesters and CCI's were a bit looser but not alot and still quite accurate. I think I'll stick with the Eleys.

I did have a go with the Stingers at 100 yrds. They produced about a 2 inch group a couple of inches higher than the point of aim for the Eley subs but directly above, with no deviation to the left or right.

Overall, I'm delighted with the rifle. Its probably more accurate than me and cost very little.

One other thing - for those who know the Calton Moor Range near Ashbourne - Mike and Dweeb now have a trolley arrangement that goes down the tunnels and allows zeroing at any range out to a hundred yards. You can zero your rimfire in complete comfort while its dark, raining and windy outside.

Cheers,

Bob

Back