So, how many calibres do you load for?

At the moment,

.17rem .223rem 6.5x55 but checking through my load records i've loaded for
.22 hornet .243 .270 (the round) .38special 357mag .308.

As for accesorizing why not take a leaf out of the great Jonny kingdoms book, Realtree for every occasion but you could adorn your hat with the arse feathers of different species for different occasions.

I have to agree with Swampy on the Ammo thing, Nickle cases with a wooden stocked rifle is like a little black dress and a Burbery cap.

Ezzy.

Hello Redmist,

I see you reload for a 22-250, and a 22-250 AI, what sort of difference do you notice between the two. It is quite a commonly asked question and it is rare to have somebody who owns both variants.

John

Hi John

two different rifles (obviously), one is a non standard 22-250AI, the other (and not owned by me) a Savage mod 12 in 22-250.

I load the standard 22-250 with Varget, using 55g Hornady V-Max, my mate who owns the rifle says it performs well out to 250-300 yards, but given its a relatively thin profiled barrel and er,,,dubious quality synthetic stock thats about the rifles accurate limit.

Velocity is I recall 3300fps (but I would have to check)

The AI - well thats mine, I feed it RL22 and a diet of 75g A-Max.

Velocity - 3200fps and you can gurantee first round hits on anything out to 400mtr providing the wind isnt blowing too hard.

I have shot it at 1000yds, but accuracy wasn't great (it was windy)

At 100 mtrs, youre looking at a 5 shot pretty much one hole group sub half MOA.

I prefer to Ai version as it allows me to use more efficient bullets - that is reflected in all my bullet choices in all calibres I shoot where possible.

Ooooooooh this has got me all wound up now. Ever since I saw a keeper in shooting times holding a rifle with a pink stripey stock I've not been able to settle.

Choices, choices. Do I take out the 6ppc with the manky cammo tape on it or the .300 win mag with oh so passe wooden stock? Perhaps the .308, buts thats so bulky and long it would never pass at a traditional BDS do.

I tend to ask the deer what they think about my choice of weapon and acoutrements and so far I have not found any who quibbled..

My stalking companions have great debates about it but as they're mostly imaginary they can be effectively ignored.

I'll be out in company tommorow so I think the puce feather boa and Lundhag high heels may have to have an outing!

Happy days

z

Thanks for that, I was really loo9king for someone who had two rifles of the same calibre, one improved and one standard, to gain their opinions of the two firing similar rounds.

zaitsev, you been on that wacky baccy again :D :D

John

PS I think the boa and the Lundhag high heels are a stunning combination. :eek:

John

I would like to give you a definitive comparison, but as each rifle shoots different weight bullets, they are chalk and cheese really.

I prefer heavy for calibre bullets simply because of their more efficient design (higher BC)

So, If the choice were mine, I would go for the AI design with a fast twist barrel every time over the standard chamber.

One must bear in mind that this makes the rifle a bit "niche" and magazine feeding becomes unreliable due to the steep shouldered neck.

Having said that, using deer legal bullets (63g smp's) I have shot three roe one after the other single feeding the rounds without problem (using a moderator) the deer didnt know where I was and it was over before they knew it.

I see what you are saying but what I was getting at is that one of the reasons for Ackley"improving" the round was that the new shoulder shape would allow more powder into the case and improve the round by improving speed etc. Now, old man Ackley himself readily admitted that with the advent of the new and improved modern powders, the advantages of the minimal gain in fps hardly made it worth improving the round.

All I was after was someone with the same calibre, using the same weight bullets, making a direct comparison between the two.

John

Back