Thread: candle power v lumens

candle power v lumens

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two or what is the equivalent say 1million candle power to lumens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit)

Bloody good question. Don't understand a word of wikipedia. Rgds JCS

Hmmmm i love to think that chart is correct. But...i have a 390 lumen torch, that i would say is 30% the power of a 500 000 c/p of 1a 12v hand held lamp, & lasts as long battery power. it says they are equal 500 000c/p =500 000 lumen !

Lumens is the total light output in all directions but candela is the light output in a cone from the bulb ( angle Pi radians) so it depends on how directional your light beam is. you cannot directly convert from one to the other as it depends on how directional the light is.

everything you will ever need to know about lights

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

ATB
    Cam

all seems a very irrelevant measuring thing to me.I have bought lamps that are supposed to be 2 million candlepower that are not as good as ones that are 1 million.Think it is all down to refelector design etc.You can get one that is a a million using the same watt bulb as one that is 2 million.Some diy shops even sell them that claim to be 5 million still using the same bulb

Quote Originally Posted by mickjgardner View Post
    all seems a very irrelevant measuring thing to me.I have bought lamps that are supposed to be 2 million candlepower that are not as good as ones that are 1 million.Think it is all down to refelector design etc.You can get one that is a a million using the same watt bulb as one that is 2 million.Some diy shops even sell them that claim to be 5 million still using the same bulb
    Yep , lamps can be the same but the way you package them can have a dramatic effect on the efficiency / output .Yet manufacturers of light fittings often just quote the lamp manufacturers figures.