Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .280 Remington

.280 Remington

Phoned to enquire about some .280 Remington ammunition which will be required to check the new chamber on the project. Not surprised to find they had none is stock but what did surprise me was that they said in 25 years they have never been asked for any .

Surely it cannot be that uncommon?

Anyone else encounter .280 Remington ammunition on their travels?

Anyway have put a box on order and it will be included with their back order stuff so hopefully here for the end of the month. It's Federal and I believe either 140 or 150 Grain SP.

I have only ever seen a 280rem in France, but they are odd buggers anyway........
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    but they are odd buggers anyway........
    seriously? What makes you say that? If I could pick one calibre, it would be 280 no worries. I can't see how any other common calibres are better than it. It's got better balistics than all 7mms apart from the magnums, has all the pros of a 270 but with better bullet selection (including 185gr). The only reason I can see not to have a 280 is if you have a 7x64!
    I really can't see why every manufactuer doesn't offer one in a factory rifle, and why everyone doesn't buy one...
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

[QUOTE=harrygrey382;143414]seriously? What makes you say that? ...[/QUOTE

An attempt at humour old boy, seems to be lost on you.

Anyway, you counter your own spurious argument. Why would anyone in Europe bother to chamber the 280rem when the 7x64 preceded it by at least 50 years - I don't know the actual dates and can't be bothered to look it up.
    Brian.

Looking at speer data, I'd prefer a 7-08 over a 7x64/280.
    Much more efficient and possibly same or more power with a short barrel.
    Prefer a short action anyway. Saying that, if one stumbles over a nice rifle,
    either would be good.

edi
    Last edited by ejg; 12-10-2010 at 12:42.

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Looking at speer data, I'd prefer a 7-08 over a 7x64/280.
    Much more efficient and possibly same or more power with a short barrel.
    Prefer a short action anyway. Saying that, if one stumbles over a nice rifle,
    either would be good.

edi
    Edi, I would agree with you entirely. Much as I like my 260, if I was doing it again, it may well have been a 7/08.
    Brian.

I preferred the 7x64 to the 7-08, you can load it to very nearly Rem Mag speeds, if you so wish, and it will deal well with the heavier bullet weights. These heavier bullets can be tricky to load in some 7-08's, magazine feed etc in some of the short actions. The .280 was introduced in 1957, the 7x64 in 1917. Ballistically they appear almost identicle.

ft

Edit; my 6.5 may one day dissapear and be replaced by a 7mm-08, as I believe it to do all that the 6.5 will do, and more! Then the 7mm-08 will do 140gn for small to medium deer, and the 7x64 will do 160gn for large deer and boar.
    Last edited by flytie; 12-10-2010 at 14:17. Reason: forward planning
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Edi, I would agree with you entirely. Much as I like my 260, if I was doing it again, it may well have been a 7/08.
    Brian

Only a suggestion mind ...... How about one of each ?

Best

Peter

Gentlemen now I do believe I have been through this before and I know of a lot of you think I am nuts but the rifle will become a .280 AI, right now we are awaiting the barrel to arrive, it's currently a 7x64 that will be re-chambered. Now the action and magazine has the length to accommodate this and allow the bullets to be seated out where they should be. The rifle was a .270 Win but the barrel is fairly worn and I have other .270's so this one is being re-built and re-vamped and in the end it should be an almost do everything rifle. If I can find some we will try the Speer 115 grain HP's and I have 139 grain Hornady's in flat point and BTSP configuration as well as some Remington 175 grain spitzers.

The .280 Remington ammunition is required to test fire once the re-chambering has been completed. Later we shall order some of the Nosler 280AI marked brass so it's the correct marked stuff just in case.

When i shot at eskdale ronnie rose used a .280