velocities 243 308

pete evans

just chrono my 2 main loads 70 grain ballistic tip 3325fps and 150 interloc 2750 fps. these loads are both really accurate and do the biz. are these velocity figures about right or fast or slow from 20" barrel

The 308 sounds about right. factory stuff is around 2800 fps. Dont have a 243 but google should be able to put you right.

Just out of interest I put the figures in the a ballistics calculator.

Pete your .243 load at 3325 just makes the deer legal muzzle energy requirement.

Gary your .243 load only makes 1027 ft/lb so presumabley is for fox only as the bullet is less than 50grns so also not suitable for small deer.

Silly me, I'd better put my spectacles on :oops: So that would make it 1797ft/lb, easily within the required standard.

yes, 70gn and they come in varmint packets of 250 so very much deer legal:stir:

pete, the primers are supposed to be flat!

the man in the bullet shop reccomends them for chest shooting fallow but i'm not convinced about that.

Last edited:
thats how you tell that you've got the right amount of pressure! pressure = velocity. velocity is good! isnt that why we use varmint ballistic tips on deer? lots of internal damage and no exit wounds.

I can't make up my mind whether you just love being ironic or you actually believe what you write. Flat primers (as opposed to "flattening" ones) is an indication of potentially dangerous pressure levels. Depending on the primer make and construction, if it's "flat" you might well be playing with a bomb. Admittedly some flatten more easily than others, but going for flat as an indication of the RIGHT ammount of pressure is NUTS. :cuckoo:

As for lightly constructed "varmint" bullets on deer... nuh uh!

just chrono my 2 main loads 70 grain ballistic tip 3325fps and 150 interloc 2750 fps. these loads are both really accurate and do the biz. are these velocity figures about right or fast or slow from 20" barrel

Those velocities sound pretty healthy to me, now you just have to resist the urge to change anything.

As for lightly constructed "varmint" bullets on deer... nuh uh!

The use of varmint bullets on deer is an old favourite on this site, always open for debate it seems, some people use them, and are happy with them, others say that you shouldn't use them. It's just the way it's always been.

Those velocities sound pretty healthy to me, now you just have to resist the urge to change anything.

The use of varmint bullets on deer is an old favourite on this site, always open for debate it seems, some people use them, and are happy with them, others say that you shouldn't use them. It's just the way it's always been.

DL, just so's I'm left in no confusion, if you'd be so kind. Are you condoning Offroad Gary's suggestion that flat primers are how you "tell" that you've got the "right amount of pressure"?

DL, just so's I'm left in no confusion, if you'd be so kind. Are you condoning Offroad Gary's suggestion that flat primers are how you "tell" that you've got the "right amount of pressure"?

The way I read Gary's post was humerous, in that all primers should be flat before the firing pin strikes them, the guy's not going to push it too far - he uses Blasers! :lol:

Using primers to guage pressure is undoubtedly useful, but it's not an exact science.

I understand your concern Tam, as there are a lot of novices on this site, so here's a useful link that was posted up on a varminting website (thanks Geoff)

http://www.larrywillis.com/pressure_signs.html

The way I read Gary's post was humerous, in that all primers should be flat before the firing pin strikes them, the guy's not going to push it too far - he uses Blasers! :lol:

DL, mine start out cup shaped.

Using primers to guage pressure is undoubtedly useful, but it's not an exact science.

Which is precisely why it's a bad idea to think a load is "the right amount" once the primer's flattened, or worse still, flowing into the firing pin hole.

I understand your concern Tam, as there are a lot of novices on this site, so here's a useful link that was posted up on a varminting website (thanks Geoff)

http://www.larrywillis.com/pressure_signs.html

Useful link, but note the flow at pic 3). And especially note the caveats. Frankly, the different strike points of the firing pin in these pics makes me suspect that those used cases may have come fom different firearms.

BUY A GOOD RELOADING MANUAL, depend on it and don't depend on people who think they are being "humerous".

Tam

Gary got it wrong, it is match bullets that you want, but only if they have a hollow point on the end, and you know when you have too much pressure because you have to use a mallet to knock the bolt open.

ATB

Tahr

Chill buddy, Gary is in his own way pulling your leg no doubt.:rofl:

:D My leg can take it Thar... Pity the poor punter that doesn't know any better though.

As for match hollow points, you might not be far wrong using a Berger LTB (with the J4 jacket).

Back