Rabbits to pubs

CraigBenson

Does anyone know what the rules are with regard to selling rabbits to pubs? do I need a food handeling cert or some such like?

I ahve a possible deal in the pipeline and just wondered as I don't wnat to drop myself of the ladnd lord in the poo.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Craig

Food products generally and meat products sold to food businesses needs to have traceability so rabbits 'should' go through game dealers as I understand it to meet all that EU stuff. That is if the end product is sold rather than given away.

was article in shooting times no long ago actually,.....this year i think it was explaining the laws...typical i threw mine out

but sure that the average joe is allowed to sell small quantities ....the low down was you could sell a carcass...rabbit deer etc but the minute you split that carcass..ie made cube or mince or burgers or the like then you needed certification and registered larder blah blah blah.

canna mind if you needed basic meat hygene or dsc1 with meat certificate .....

and im sure there was a thread asking same question bout this on pigeonwatch....someone came back to a yes in england but scotland was a no no!?
not much help sorry....
ill go have alook for that thread

sauer

Im sure sauer is right, if your a trained hunter, then you have done the game handling course and test in the DSC1 therefore as long as you sell the rabbits with the jackets on and a papertrail.. As soon as you skin it or dont 'tag' your animals and then sell to a pub, your doomed! ;)

DSC 1 provides you with a LARGE game handling cert. I am sure you require a SMALL game....

Just checked my certs and I have 3! one Large, one small and one that states;

Lantra Level 2 Certificate in Wild Game meat Hygiene (Large and Small) so go figure!

I bet if you don't have the latter then you will need the Small Game which would also include pheasants.

Regards
Colin

Yes you can mate under the 'primary producer exemption' as stated in the wild game guide here:
http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/wildgameguide1007.pdf
This is the relevant part:

1 October 2008 version 6​
  1. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [*]4.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]PRIMARY PRODUCERS AND THE PRIMARY PRODUCER EXEMPTION[/FONT][/FONT]
The EU food hygiene regulations regard shooting wild game - "hunting" - for human consumption as a primary production activity. So an individual who shoots game alone, a hunting party and an estate which organises shooting are all primary producers.
Primary products in the wild game sector are the products of hunting – i.e. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]in-fur and in-feather game [/FONT][/FONT]that has undergone no more than any necessary preparation that is part of normal hunting practice. This does not have to be done "in the field", but can be done in [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]game larders[/FONT][/FONT].
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]PRIMARY PRODUCERS SUPPLYING AGHEs [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]

[/FONT]Any primary producer supplying an [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]approved game handling establishment (AGHE) [/FONT][/FONT]must:
  1. ensure a
  1. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]trained person [/FONT][/FONT]is present and completes relevant documentation
(NB An AGHE is entitled to refuse to accept carcases where the [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]bona fide [/FONT][/FONT]involvement of a [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]trained person [/FONT][/FONT](as set out in Regulation 853/2004) cannot be established, though there is provision in the Regulations for where a trained person is unexpectedly unavailable).
  1. be registered with the Local Authority under the
  1. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]registration of food businesses [/FONT][/FONT]requirement;
(If you are a shooting party guest of a primary producer see „Situation H‟ in a separate Q&A annex under [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]„Some Typical Situations‟)[/FONT][/FONT].
  1. comply with the
  1. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]food business operator‟s responsibilities[/FONT][/FONT], including [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]both [/FONT][/FONT]the general hygiene provisions for primary production in Regulation 852/2004 [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]and [/FONT][/FONT]the specific provisions for the initial handling of large/small wild game in Regulation 853/2004 when it is subsequently supplied to an AGHE;
    [*]meet the
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]traceability [/FONT][/FONT]requirements of Regulation 178/2002
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]PRIMARY PRODUCER EXEMPTION [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]There is an exemption from the above rules when supply involves small quantities of in-fur/in-feather carcases supplied either direct to the final consumer [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]and/or [/FONT][/FONT]to local retailers that directly supply the final consumer.

In the UK these terms are currently being interpreted as follows:
  1. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [*]Small quantities
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    are now regarded as self-defining because demand for [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]in-fur/in-feather [/FONT][/FONT]carcases from final consumers and local retailers is limited. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [*]Local
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    is within the supplying establishment‟s own county plus the [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]greater [/FONT][/FONT]of [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]either [/FONT][/FONT]the neighbouring county or counties [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]or [/FONT][/FONT]50 km/30 miles from the boundary of the supplying establishment‟s [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]county[/FONT][/FONT]. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [*]Direct supply
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    to the [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]final consumer [/FONT][/FONT]is [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]not [/FONT][/FONT]restricted by what is local. An individual or an estate can supply final consumers who order from them via the internet/mail order as well as those who collect themselves.
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]ACTIVITIES ASSOCIATED WITH PRIMARY PRODUCTION [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]NB [/FONT]
[/FONT]This exemption is only for the primary producer when supplying [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]direct [/FONT][/FONT]and is not available for anyone engaged in „associated operations‟. So a separate business which buys up carcases from shoots and then sells them on to retailers [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]cannot use the primary producer exemption[/FONT][/FONT], even if the quantities are small and the retailers local.

ok so i was close enough you can sell but only basically gutted....still gotta be in feather \ fur

does that apply for all uk or has scotland got some different legislation? as is often the case with stuff.

sorry for hijacking your original thread....

ps it was a good one to ask!

sauer \ paul

I have a deal with a few local pubs for rabbits, 50% of cost goes to cover my fuel and 50% goes to The Alzheimers Society. Always in the jacket and never more than 10 at a time. I always worked on the Exemption listed above.

So it seems to be ok as long as they still have their clothes on, gets a bit more difficult when it comes to supplying them skinned. The pub will look into it and get back to me if they want them. They all seem a bit squeemish about skinning them. I find that odd as I hate the gutting.

I was under the impression that any game going into the food chain skinned or unskinned had to be done so by a trained hunter under the EU Food hygiene Regulations, by this you can hunt your own game for your own consumption, but if its for anyone else then a meat / game hygiene certificate is needed. Doesnt matter if it is one rabbit/pheasant/deer/pigeon or a 100. As we all know takeing a deer to the game dealer we get asked to show this and sign to say we have inspected it and it is safe to enter the food chain. When it first came into force many shoots had to get someone on the gamecart to take the certificate as this person would be the one handleing all game on that day prior to going game dealer. So as the rabbits will be entering the food chain a Hygiene certificate will be needed.

I was under the impression that any game going into the food chain skinned or unskinned had to be done so by a trained hunter under the EU Food hygiene Regulations, by this you can hunt your own game for your own consumption, but if its for anyone else then a meat / game hygiene certificate is needed. Doesnt matter if it is one rabbit/pheasant/deer/pigeon or a 100. As we all know takeing a deer to the game dealer we get asked to show this and sign to say we have inspected it and it is safe to enter the food chain. When it first came into force many shoots had to get someone on the gamecart to take the certificate as this person would be the one handleing all game on that day prior to going game dealer. So as the rabbits will be entering the food chain a Hygiene certificate will be needed.

The key here mate is that he is not taking them to a game dealer. If he were, then he would need trained person status for small game. However, from my original post on this thread he comes under the Primary producer exemption:
PRIMARY PRODUCER EXEMPTION
There is an exemption from the above rules when supply involves small quantities of in-fur/in-feather carcases supplied either direct to the final consumer [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]and/or [/FONT][/FONT]to local retailers that directly supply the final consumer.

The only 'Gotcha' is that they must be still 'in-fur', which is why Craig has to skin them at the pub over a pint!:p
MS:)

I haven't long got off the phone to a local resteraunt who wants 10 thumpers jackets on for £1.50 ASAP. I got the impresion that he thought that was cheap. I'm getting 50p more than I do from the butcher and he thinks he's getting a deal, seems like a win win to me.
Not sure the wife will be so happy as it means another night out, but it's a fancy place and will work on some meal deals with the chef.

Anyone taking game from you who is" Squeemish", should be shown how to do it properly, by you, you would be surprised how many say that is the reason for wanting stuff paunched & skinned, head / feet off etc,......... they just happen to be victims of the modern factory food chain.

Not sure the wife will be so happy as it means another night out, but it's a fancy place and will work on some meal deals with the chef.

Ahh! The perfect solution!
Maximum 'Brownie Points' for taking the missus out for a nice meal, and the need to go shooting to facilitate!:D
MS:)

Well the wife was over the moon that I'd got an outlet for rabbits and went on to encourage (as if any was needed) to get strait out and get them:cool::cool:. If it wasn't for the 2 year old I might start to wonder if she had a bit on the side :-|:-| but she likes Daniel Craig and he's a chutney ferrit so I'm ok there :D

The chef wanted 10 when I talked to him yesterday, I dropped off 8 at 10:30 and a bag of livers. That was one happy french man, was over the moon that a couple of them were in hopping about a field a 1/2hr before he was putting them in the fridge. I got £15 for them too. If they sell I'll get more orders, I might need more land if this takes off.:doh::confused:

Back