Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sika stag two for sd week 2010

sika stag two for sd week 2010

Hi,

Having had the pleasure of going to the Sd week 2010 i bagged my first ever sika on the tuesday morning.
    First person to get one and malc promised me a bottle of scotch but i still have to see it
    on the thursday afternoon i decided to head over to Jayb's bit of land for a stalk and sit up in the highseat .
    i left at about 2.30 pm as its a 20min drive from where the lodge was to Jayb's.
    all where curious as to why so early but if you put in the hours it does tend to yield results.
    on arriving i had a long walk from the gate to the high seat so with a glance every 10 paces or so i arrived in the seat for about 3.45pm.
    it was a nice day so i settled in and glassed the ride which was about 350 meters long.
    after about 20 minutes two sika hinds Grey in colour not black as i still maintain they are ha ha, really dark grey...
    i watched for about 20 minutes for a stag to join them but no luck, at 250 yards up the ride i was happy he didnt. would have meant i needed to move which would have spooked him anyways.
    after another 10 minutes another dark grey hind came out with a black line down its back ok i give in it is grey, came into view about 30 yards out.
    i was transfixed on her as she knew something was wrong, she was very nervous her head was right up in the air sniffing like mad. after a few minutes she got me the wind had swirled about and she got my scent. off she went like lightening
    about 4.30 out came another deer this time about 45 yards off the seat.
    i carefully lifted the binos to see if he was a spiker as no large antlers where showing.
    he was a good strong looking animal broad and hefty. all his antlers where broken off and only had stumps. following five minutes he showed me his broadside and i took a shot and down he dropped. following a five minute wait i followed up and went to the beast. his neck was cut up and not one spike had he left on his head.
    i was delighted to have got one but the 250 metre drag back to the road soon diminished my joy ha ha. he was at the road for 5.30 so i went for a sit back in the seat till 7.00pm. i seen nothing more for the night and returned back to the lodge via the larder.
    he was 85Lbs larder weight from memory

here he is hanging from the seat and the rope round his antlers is for dragging.
    what a great week thanks john.

atb frank

Attachment 2958Attachment 2957
    Last edited by centralbeltstalker; 12-10-2010 at 16:29. Reason: theres an s in seat ha ha

Well done nice wee read & congrats on your first i cant wait to get my first sika & get it in the freezer they are great eating.

well done again frank, happy days

Nice write up Frank.

I was amazed at how hard that stag had obviously been fighting despite having hardly any antlers left, all the war wounds around his head/neck etc. Tough deer!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Nice write up Frank.

I was amazed at how hard that stag had obviously been fighting despite having hardly any antlers left, all the war wounds around his head/neck etc. Tough deer!

Alex
    he really was a beast what i forgot to mention to everyone one is that i hit him in the shoulder with a .243 100gn bullet at 45 yards or so and not one mark inside his chest cavity.
    no bullet wound in or out. its as if it bounced of him and he dropped from the shock.
    i didnt skin him and assume that as no meat damage was recorded i have no explanation as to where he was hit.

strange, but as they say these are tough tough animals.

atb f.

Nice one frank now thats a real trophy no the norm for a sika.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Nice one frank now thats a real trophy no the norm for a sika.
    hi,

will boil it out tomorrow and post the pictures, real unusual beast mate.

f.

Well done again Frank, now I shall have to restock.

Like I told you if you could have got to him a week earlier it would have been better he was a full 8 pointer then . Will be interested to see his head when you have it boiled out, he must have been a tough bugger he had ears that were just like strips of skin attached to his head, a real scrapper.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Well done Frank, you had a good week,

Smithy

well done Frank, it was a great week for all the lads. your first stalk was a good one to remember, everybody did really well, with a good selection of beasts taken.