Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longer range accuracy

Longer range accuracy

Is it possible for two different bullets to shoot half inch at 100 yards and then for one to be shooting a lot more accuratly than the other at 200 and 300 yards

thanks steve

It is. At 100 the effects of drag, gravity and wind for all practical purposes won't really make that much of a difference - certainly to the average accuracy stalking rifle in the average stalking cals (BR competitors may have a slightly differing view) However, open out the range and these things start to make a difference. Assuming the bullets/cal (22-250 vs 375H&H) isn't a chalk and cheese thing then it is quite possible

Take a look at any of the external ballistic calculators that you can find on line and mess around with the numbers and cals and take a look at what the bullet drops are like - you'll be surprised. The drop in the simple thing to look at but you might then want to look at drift and how weight/velocity/BC etc alter the path down range.

Hope that helps

Fabnosh

Col Cooper of scout rifle "fame" said it was pointless testing a rifle and ammunitions grouping at under 300 yards as it did not properly stabilise until that distance at least. How true this is I don't know but there you go that was his view.

Fabnosh

I understand how diferent weights and bc can effect the trajectory of a bullet but was really wondering why a particular bullet that will shoot .5 moa at 100 yards will not shoot to the same accuracy at 200 and then 300 yards.

I have been using 150gn sst's for a while and have been very pleased with them they will consistanly shoot under .5 inch at 100 yards, but recently i bought a scope with ballistic tuurets and have been experimenting at longer ranges, the sst's will not hold this level of accuracy at 200 and 300 yards.

I was getting frustrated at this and thought it was probaly me.

I have just tried some Berger vld's and they easily group under an inch at 200 and just over 1.5 at 300, they also seem to be achieveing much more consistant velosities than the sst's, could this be the reason for the loss in accuracy at longer ranges?

All ammunition was loaded in the same way.

steve

The biggest factors in long range accuracy (ignoring the rifle and the bloke behind it) is the wind and the BC of the bullet. As the bullet slows the wind has more effect. A bullet designed for hunting will shift about in the wind a lot more than a long VLD type bullet with a high BC. If you are shooting an SP type bullet, the nose can become deformed and this will effect the bullets flight path.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I agree with all you say but the sst is a polymer tipped bullet almost the same as the A-max (some say exactly the same), whitch is a match grade bullet.

I cant work out why the sst is not performing at these slightly longer ranges when it is so accurate at 100 yards.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by musty View Post
    I agree with all you say but the sst is a polymer tipped bullet almost the same as the A-max (some say exactly the same), whitch is a match grade bullet.

I cant work out why the sst is not performing at these slightly longer ranges when it is so accurate at 100 yards.

steve
    Steve. It's hard to tell, but have you run both loads over a chrono and compared the SD for both rounds? It may be that your loading technique and load is better with the VLDs than the SSTs. You may be nearer the sweet spot for the VLDs than the SSTs with your setup. Secondly, I am not sure if it's a very productive line of enquiry. My limited objective for a bullet is to get the best performance for that bullet. I haven't done any comparative work between different bullets in the same rifle. Good luck. JCS

Quote Originally Posted by musty View Post
    Fabnosh

I have just tried some Berger vld's and they easily group under an inch at 200 and just over 1.5 at 300, they also seem to be achieveing much more consistant velosities than the sst's, could this be the reason for the loss in accuracy at longer ranges?
    I would say this variance is a big factor, consistency is important at the longer ranges.
    It may be worth measuring (comparators) and weighing batches of both bullets, you may be surprised at the results...
    Last edited by Milligan; 13-10-2010 at 16:35.

A-max & SST's have different B.C.'s
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

As Finn says different BC's. SST's also have a cannelure. I find them very accurate.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.