Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The best place to live if your a stalker

The best place to live if your a stalker

What do you guys recon is the best place to live in the uk if you stalk deer? I live in oxford and think it must rate reasonably highly. Lots of roe munties and fallow, getting free shooting isn't easy but possible and some of the stalking is in really nice locations. I used to live in strathaven in lanarkshire and although i did a lot of air rifle stuff never did much more, hardly ever saw deer. I have since found out it has got a healthy roe population. just goes to show sometimes if you dont look you dont see.
    And the worst? there must be somewhere that sucks for stalking.

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    What do you guys recon is the best place to live in the uk if you stalk deer?
    I'd say with the amount of people coming to Scotland to stalk, it must rank pretty highly.

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    And the worst? there must be somewhere that sucks for stalking.
    Wales, I would have thought!

East Anglia rates pretty high I reckon.
    Loads of deer including all 6 species (although Sika aren't common!), easy to get stalking and no Hills!

Id agree with Monkey Spanker East Anglia ranks high, Iv got access to Roe, Red , Munties , chinese , itchy knees, there are Sika around Oundle way though i havnt had the pleasure and fallow are about. But i suppose i can only speak from experiance and have not had the please of stalking in many other areas in the UK other than East Anglia exept a few day trips. Im sure alot of stalkers frequenting scotland will have something to say on this one...

I shoot strathhaven pete and it has a few roe but it depends on what you want mate if you want free or cheap stalking then scotland is the place you go out were i live and get shooting just by asking the right way.I have shot all my life in my own area and for roe deer it is very good , God knows what you were doing pissing about with an airrifle
    Last edited by 6pointer; 14-10-2010 at 15:14.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    I shoot strathhaven pete and it has a few roe but it depends on what you want mate if you want free or cheap stalking then scotland is the place you go out were i live and get shooting just by asking the right way.I have shot all my life in my own area and for reo deer it is good god know what you were doing pissing about with an airrifle
    was only a kid then left and came back as student then left again. If I had stayed I dare say I would have proggressed up the ranks so to speak. Did go stalking there once (lesmahagow) with a friends older brother. Craig Buchanan I think he was called this is probs 25 yrs ago.

I can tell you where the best place to stalk is, everywhere other than the Sheffield and surrounding area. My parents have a lot to answer for giving birth to me around here, it`s rubbish for deer. DOH

Joking aside, Suffolk, Dorset, Norfolk, Sussex and The Scottish highlands rank high i would think.

wadas

For me it would have to be Scotland. We may not have all the species that some of our Southern counterparts have but we more than make up for it in the scenery you can stalk in. Just look at Monarchs recent pic and it gives you a flavour of whats up here. If we're lucky, stalking is about far more than pulling a trigger and getting some meat. Its a day out, with great company in some cases but nearly always with great scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by DL View Post
    I'd say with the amount of people coming to Scotland to stalk, it must rank pretty highly.

Wales, I would have thought!
    Cheeky git!!

+1 to salmo salar.

All my stalking is done in dumfries, the scenery and remoteness makes for an awesome all round experience. Plus some pretty good, local friendly boozers!!