Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading with LEE products ??

Question Reloading with LEE products ??

Folks,

I am not anywhere near to getting set up or started with reloading just yet, just thinking out loud and doing the research etc...

So....What is really wrong with the LEE Dies, I know some on another site take a very negative view to all things LEE....But while I am have been leaning towards the Redding 3 Die Set what is wrong with the Lee Deluxe 3 Die Set ??

For that matter the LEE Breech Lock Challenger Press....Any issues ???

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

Whats wrong with Lee dies, in a word nothing, I have used them for years and have yet to have a single dead thing complain that I was using Lee kit. I still maintain that for someone starting out in reloading then an anniversary kit is as good a starting place as any.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I used a Lee breech lock press for two years with no problems until i tried to neck size using a Lee die, the Lee neck sizing dies are so awful that i had to put so much pressure on the press that the bottom linkage snapped, ive got a Lyman press now which along side Redding neck sizing dies does a perfect job.

Is the neck sizing die you refer to the Lee Collet Die ???

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

I started out with a Lee aniversary kit. I reviewed my reloading logs and see that I loaded and fired 740 rounds using my Lee equipment. (Lots of shots of at stones on the far banking at the back of the farm)

When I started out I had no friends who were into reloading. I had neither the funds or the inclination to spend a lot of money on another hobby that may not have been for me. I remember my first homeloaded shot at a 50 yard tree stump, my friends standing fairly close by ready to call an ambulance, arguing over who was getting my dog and my jacket when it all went wrong...............It didn't and I was hooked on reloading.

There are plenty of more experienced better qualified individuals on here who are looking for far more from their reloading than I am. I am confident that my rounds will go where intended and do what they are intended to do.

I have spent a small fortune over the last couple of years upgrading my reloading bench with a mixture of RCBS and Lyman. I have no regrets on starting out with Lee equipment.

Regards

All things will never be the same for everyone, but as far as the lee dies are concerned I use the lee collet neck sizing dies for all my rifles, and have done for years I have loaded countless rounds so far with no problems they are excellent!!!

nowt wrong with Lee dies...ive used em for 5 out of 6yrs stalking reloading ..my brother still using them and hes been reloading last 16 yrs ish anyway.

i think that for general stalking and accuracy achieved 1" or therbouts or less even then fine but some of the target guys who looking to achieve at least cloverleaf or 1 hole groups prefer more expensive kit. wich apparently gives less "run out" on the reload. but thats maybe been taken out of context by likes of me and translate it as crap when they arent.....many folks achieve damn good loads with lee kit and that includes relative novices too

i had a lee 4 hole turret press and it was fine.....i think i still have a set of lee dies in .25-06 lying around in back of cupboard but they arent deluxe set.

good to get you started and then some if you ask me

sauer \paul

I've just started reloading and I bought the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit and everything in it works fine. I find the scales a bit of a faff to set up but they do work well. I have recently bought a cheap set of digital scales of ebay that are great. The Lee dies are fine to use but I have also just bought an RCBS full length sizing die and I can immediately tell a difference in quality, the RCBS is way better. All the other bits and pieces you get in the kit are spot on and I would recommend it to anyone starting off. If I was doing it again I would buy the kit, then buy RCBS dies!

I use Lee kit, and Lee dies. I even neck size, and have had no problems! Tremendous value for money. I think there is a "snob value" at play in disparaging Lee gear. I know two precision engineers and one gunsmith who all use Lee dies, money is not an issue with them, it was these three people who advised me to buy Lee products. I have not regretted my decision.

ft

I have the de-luxe Lee die set and a crimping die
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by jonty h View Post
    I used a Lee breech lock press for two years with no problems until i tried to neck size using a Lee die, the Lee neck sizing dies are so awful that i had to put so much pressure on the press that the bottom linkage snapped, ive got a Lyman press now which along side Redding neck sizing dies does a perfect job.
    I would suggest that if you were having to put that much pressure on then possibly you may have had something wrong somewhere, I am pretty sure that from memory the maximum pressure required is about 25 lbs. Don' take that figure as gospel because if I remember correctly my memory is not what it was

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses